Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/14/2016 2:32:46 PM EDT
Hi all I am looking to get my first 50cal rifle and am looking hard at the Barrett M95. Is that a good choice what are the pros and cons of the M95? I appreciate the help. Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:40:09 PM EDT
[#1]
When I took my sales class at Barrett they told me that the M95 is the most accurate 50 BMG that they manufacture.  I would consider that to be a pretty big plus.  The only "con" is that it is not a semi auto.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:52:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that info I had read it is supposed to be accurate and I enjoy slow shooting so be a good fit. I was considering a Serbu 22" 50cal but I like the magazine option with the M95. I like the fact on the M95 It has the 29" barrel as well I was trying to find some side by side pictures comparisons of the Barrett CQ or Serbu 50bmg to see how it compares overall length wise. I have read everything from the recoil is unpleasant to its a soft shooter on the internet whats the real deal or is it subjective like anything else? Thanks again I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
As far as I am concerned the only downside is the cost. It's the only Barrett 50 I haven't ownned and shot. Price was always too close to the semi for me to justify it especially since I am mainly a dirt shooter

Recoil on my 99's have always been very manageable. Very much like shooting a heavy shotgun load. The blast always wore me out before the recoil even when shooting prone.

If you like it buy it. Life's too short to compromise on cool guns
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Thank you for that that info that is a good point about the cost point comparison. I do like it but just making sure I guess as a one and only 50cal it is good to go for lack of better words also why is the price So close to the semi auto models?. I could see how the blast could wear one out I was looking for reviews and YouTube videos of the m95 but it is slim pickings when you see lots for the other models was just curious if there was something inherently wrong with the M95 then? Thanks again
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I built myself one up when I worked there. I loved building them. And shooting them. We built a bunch for the SEALs back in the late '90s.

Paying the price they are asking now is a hard pill to swallow.  But the short throw on it is nice. I love mine.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I built myself one up when I worked there. I loved building them. And shooting them. We built a bunch for the SEALs back in the late '90s.

Paying the price they are asking now is a hard pill to swallow.  But the short throw on it is nice. I love mine.
View Quote

Thanks for your expert reply Is the price now still worth it then? Is it a natural throw to work the bolt just watching a couple videos it looked like you had to come all the way back to the shoulder is it easy to short throw the bolt? I appreciate the help and info.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:23:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thank you for that that info that is a good point about the cost point comparison. I do like it but just making sure I guess as a one and only 50cal it is good to go for lack of better words also why is the price So close to the semi auto models?. I could see how the blast could wear one out I was looking for reviews and YouTube videos of the m95 but it is slim pickings when you see lots for the other models was just curious if there was something inherently wrong with the M95 then? Thanks again
View Quote

Nothing wrong with them but they are the lowest demand of them all so they don't make as many.

I really like my 99 and think it works great as a general do it all. Of course it's slower than the mag but it can be loaded fairly quickly with his it is designed. I also don't have to worry about losing or damaging a magazine which is a real possibility for me like I said though just buy whatever you want. Nice thing about 99's is there are a ton of them out there so the pricing is a little more competitive.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 7:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for your expert reply Is the price now still worth it then? Is it a natural throw to work the bolt just watching a couple videos it looked like you had to come all the way back to the shoulder is it easy to short throw the bolt? I appreciate the help and info.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The throw is very easy. You have to learn to palm it back, and more importantly, palm it forward.  If you don't, it may bind the carrier.

The price is something that is up to you. It is getting on the high side though.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:07:44 PM EDT
[#9]
OP,  

As someone (myself) looking for my first 50 and torn between the m95 and m82, what is your reasoning for going with the m95?  I'm personally torn between the"better" accuracy of the m95 vs the semi auto aspect of the m82.  Obviously price is a factor as 1 is a few thousand cheaper.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP,  

As someone (myself) looking for my first 50 and torn between the m95 and m82, what is your reasoning for going with the m95?  I'm personally torn between the"better" accuracy of the m95 vs the semi auto aspect of the m82.  Obviously price is a factor as 1 is a few thousand cheaper.
View Quote

I am not the OP but I liked my Semi. Other than some Talon reloads it seemed to work all the time. I didn't like having to break it down to put it in its case but that is a minor annoyance.

Unless you are actually shooting in target competitions I wouldn't worry about accuracy. If that is your goal there are guns better suited to it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I need a single shot 50 to mount my Gemtech Stormfront can on and think the M95 would be the best choice.

It did not work out well on my M82 semi and caused hangfires as well as created the worst recoil I've ever felt in ANY weapon.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I need a single shot 50 to mount my Gemtech Stormfront can on and think the M95 would be the best choice.

It did not work out well on my M82 semi and caused hangfires as well as created the worst recoil I've ever felt in ANY weapon.
View Quote

If the recoil was bad on the semi I can't imagine it being any better on a single shot. Have talked to several people who hated shooting their 50's suppressed. I want to build a recoiling mount for mine in the future. Also here the cyclops is one of the better available choices for recoil reduction but I don't know anyone with one so I have no first hand info.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:49:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I shoot a model 99 suppressed.  It does increase the recoil, but it's really cool being able to have everyone take their hearing protection out while watching someone shoot it (I still recommend the shooter wear plugs).

I'm going to do a tripod mount for it...Then it will be perfect :-)
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 9:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I shoot a model 99 suppressed.  It does increase the recoil, but it's really cool being able to have everyone take their hearing protection out while watching someone shoot it (I still recommend the shooter wear plugs).

View Quote

Which can are you using?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Barrett shipped 16 model 99's last year with the 107 suppressor mount.  Those were some pretty slick guns.  They called them the Hunter model.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

there are other options then the M95, I have a zel custom and it isn't bad. it as as accurate as I can shoot it.  and it is a lot less money. You could save the money and spend it on glass for the rifle or ammo and still have the single shot for your can.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 7:46:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Barrett shipped 16 model 99's last year with the 107 suppressor mount.  Those were some pretty slick guns.  They called them the Hunter model.
View Quote

Were they still the short barrel? If I remember right the hunters were fluted 29" barrels instead of the standard 32". Always wanted one but even back then they were several hundred bucks more and their retail prices and resale stayed high because there weren't many of them.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

there are other options then the M95, I have a zel custom and it isn't bad. it as as accurate as I can shoot it.  and it is a lot less money. You could save the money and spend it on glass for the rifle or ammo and still have the single shot for your can.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bullpup?  The shorter design helps with the massive can on the end:

Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which can are you using?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which can are you using?

The AAC one... Cyclone, maybe?  Does that sound right?  I can't remember.

I just got an MG 34 AA tripod for it, too
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 11:24:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which can are you using?

I think you might mean the AAC Cyclops?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:21:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Yeah, that's it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top