Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/12/2016 12:29:55 AM EDT
So i have been kicking around the idea of a 50 since the new year. now ive been starting to look alot more and i think realistically ill prob end up getting 1 around oct/nov (rather have $ in hand vs using a credit card).

Anywho, like any other caliber, there are tons of companies out there.  my budget is around 7k...8k MAX.  In all honesty, this will mostly be a range toy but 1 that I would like to get better with LONG distance shooting.  *right now i have my bench rest 308 and feel really good with it out past 500+ yards.   As far as which... I have been really leaning towards the Barrett  M82a1.  mainly I like the semi auto and the "lack" of AS harsh recoil vs a bolt action.  that being said, ill be paying a few thousand more vs a m95..  that and id much prefer to have a magazine vs single load.   my only other "issue" is suppression.  I am sure ONE day, id like to supressor the 50 (even though that suppressor will prob cost  2500-3k and that would be WAY down the line).  I alo reload so id have no issue reloading ammo for this.  I guess I am just looking for some guidence/experience in the relm of 50 cals.   for now, basically to I get the m82a1 which id be "happier" with but I know i could never suppress it, or the m95 and 1 day get the supressor, but its not a semi auto.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you just got the cash to blow suppressing a semi auto 50, get what you can afford, and will enjoy shooting.

I'd lean toward the M82A1 or derivative semi auto, personally.  More fun shooting it, and not so much worry about suppressing an inherently noisy, supersonic, large-bore round.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 4:15:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you just got the cash to blow suppressing a semi auto 50, get what you can afford, and will enjoy shooting.

I'd lean toward the M82A1 or derivative semi auto, personally.  More fun shooting it, and not so much worry about suppressing an inherently noisy, supersonic, large-bore round.
View Quote

to me its either direction, i can get the m82A1...which, unless there is some  HUGE issue i havent been told about, i will prob go with.     Where as if i got the m95, the $ i save from not getting the semi i can prob get the supressor for it....BUt, idk how much ill REALLY like doing the bolt action thing on a bull-pup.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:17:13 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are wanting more accuracy at longer ranges, you can get it much cheaper that 7k-8k. The M82 is a fun gun to shoot, but a $3000-$3500 AR-50 or State Arms, or Ferret-50 will out perform it hands down. I shoot a highly modified State Arms Shorty (you probably won't like it due to it's Shell Holder Bolt design) and can be reloaded and ready to fire before my target has been pulled and spotted. This is in 1000 yd FCSA Matches. I've seen the AR-50 win many matches and watched a new world record being shot out of a modified (new barrel) Ferret-50.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
If you are wanting more accuracy at longer ranges, you can get it much cheaper that 7k-8k. The M82 is a fun gun to shoot, but a $3000-$3500 AR-50 or State Arms, or Ferret-50 will out perform it hands down. I shoot a highly modified State Arms Shorty (you probably won't like it due to it's Shell Holder Bolt design) and can be reloaded and ready to fire before my target has been pulled and spotted. This is in 1000 yd FCSA Matches. I've seen the AR-50 win many matches and watched a new world record being shot out of a modified (new barrel) Ferret-50.
View Quote

I am not a big fan of the AR-50 but i will say price wise, it IS probably the best bang for your buck.  maybe im stuck on the semi auto aspect.  I really dont want a 50 as JUST a range toy, cause that would be an expensive range toy.  I am more into precision shooting when i go out to the range. I have other guns for when i go out with friends and its more of a blasting type range day.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Don't forget about the glass you plan on putting on it. A scope that will allow you to see the bullet fly to your target will set you back at least $2,000.

Do you need to spend that much, no but look at it like this. 16 years ago I bought a Nightforce NXS for my AR-50. I've shot out to 2000 yards with it and under the right conditions could call the shot before it hit (or miss).

If I had to do it again, I would buy an ATACR or B.E.A.S.T. and be done. There's a thread a few down that a member posted of his M82 with NF ATACR scope. It's worth looking at and the thought of buy once, cry once.

Put the scope on a 0% CC, pay off before due.

ETA: The thread with the M82 is in "I just bought my first 50, excited"!
View Quote

I agree, a scope will have to be part ofthe price.  After I got my last scope for my rifle, I have no issue with spending the coin on a good quality scope.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I own three 50 cals.
A custom AR50 for match shooting, a custom serbu semi for match + hunting, and a custom Noreen ULR for round testing + hunting.
I've owned an M82 and would recommend it whole heartedly, but the long range accuracy wasn't there for me and I sold it to build a Tac50.
I sold the Tac50 to buy the serbu when it finally came to market.
The serbu was the only semi auto 50 cal rifle I could make NY SAFE act compliant, otherwise I would've bought a Barrett CQ.
There's nothing like the fun and utter destruction a semi auto 50 cal can cause.
Of course, that comes with a big price tag to feed the beast. Reloading is a must, unless you burn money to heat the mansion ?
The newer Barrett M107's can be suppressed and that brings a whole new level of fun to the table.
If your looking to suppress a semi, I would check with Barrett to see if you can add the newer style 107 muzzle brake/ suppressor attachment to an 82 before buying an 82.
Otherwise, be on the lookout for an M107 and keep saving your pennies till you can afford one and a lot of ammo.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own three 50 cals.
A custom AR50 for match shooting, a custom serbu semi for match + hunting, and a custom Noreen ULR for round testing + hunting.
I've owned an M82 and would recommend it whole heartedly, but the long range accuracy wasn't there for me and I sold it to build a Tac50.
The serbu was the only semi auto 50 cal rifle I could make NY SAFE act compliant, otherwise I would've bought a Barrett CQ.
There's nothing like the fun and utter destruction a semi auto 50 cal can cause.
Of course, that comes with a big price tag to feed the beast. Reloading is a must, unless you burn money to heat the mansion ?
The newer Barrett M107's can be suppressed and that brings a whole new level of fun to the table.
If your looking to suppress a semi, I would check with Barrett to see if you can add the newer style 107 muzzle brake/ suppressor attachment to an 82 before buying an 82.
Otherwise, be on the lookout for an M107 and keep saving your pennies till you can afford one and a lot of ammo.
View Quote

Is your Noreen accurate?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:18:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Is your Noreen accurate?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I own three 50 cals.

Is your Noreen accurate?

Yes, but not as much fun as my Semi Auto, even after I made it SAFE act compliant to keep it !
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top