Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/18/2016 12:54:52 PM EDT
Hi everyone!

For those who don’t know me, I was on the Board of Directors of the FCSA (Fifty Caliber Shooters Association) for a couple years and I continue to field calls on various matters. Over the past several months I’ve received numerous calls regarding some issues in the FCSA and some of general dissatisfaction and frustration. I also received an internal call from the FCSA that memberships are in decline and they are not sure what to do.

So I’m reaching out to members, both current and former, in an effort to find what the core problems are and how we can resolve them. If you have something to say and wish your voice to be heard you can reply in this thread, send me a PM or email me at [email protected].

My intent is to gather information, organize it and present a solution to the current BOD. I will also act as a buffer between you and the BOD and no specifics of who said what will be passed on. I respect your privacy and appreciate your input. Also, I have no intent to run for office in the FCSA, I have plenty of my own work to do.

I am making this effort to help bring the FCSA out of a slump which will increase shooting and competition opportunities for 50cal shooters. I also believe the relative ‘quiet’ on the political scene could end in the near future. We need the FCSA to be a healthy and functional part of our shooting sports.

Thank you,
Dave Moore
Spider Firearms
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there even a forum available on the FCSA website?  
There is nothing in the visitor forum, so I am guessing you have to be a member to see any info?  I don't know.
And when I click on "membership application" I get "No Webpage Found".

I've looked at the FCSA site many years ago, and got the same feeling.  A good-ol-boys club that prefers to keep it that way.  Kinda like the Benchrest forum.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
As my username (OldmanFCSA) implies, I am a true believer and supporter of the FCSA.
I have never met a more enjoyable group of shooters that are willing to do anything to make your shooting experience a great one. As a former Match Director of the Alliance Nebraska Hoffland Range, I promoted and invited new and old shooters to try this difficult range again and again. We joked about the Troll that grabbed or deflected projectiles putting them where they were never intended to be. As the years went by, some shooters figured out the Wind and one shooter, Patrick Bieck, went on to shoot a new World Record 5-shot group at 1000 yards of 2.045" center to center as officially measured. We hold Matches there 2 times a year and we are the only 50BMG shooters allowed on their ranges due to our rules and respect for the Alliance Rifle Club's range equipment.
While Match Director, I donated a 15" diameter - 3/4" thick - AR500 - steel gong complete with brackets and chains to hang properly. This steel target is placed on the 1100 yard berm for our sight-in day. They use it for other events also.
Regional Matches are left to the Match Directors to run as they see fit dependent on activity level. This sometimes causes a rift between shooters from other areas of the country who don't have the same facilities or attendance that we have at Alliance.

The Rules for the World Competition Match differ slightly from Regional Matches, but are close enough that changes can be made if required.
And there-in lies the problem within the FCSA - it has been so strongly structured to support the World Championships at the NRA Whittington Center in Raton, NM, that no other venue is good enough for the Good-Ole-Boys. Ranges on the East Coast have never been allowed to entertain the thought of having the World Match there. Certain agreements with the Whittington Center drove some of those arguments, but those agreements are now completed and in-future other venues could be addressed without financial impact to the Organization.

The FCSA Sponsored King of the 2-mile competition is a sore point for some of us as the scheduling of the Matches conflict with the Schedule of the World Championships, and our current FCSA President is more focused on the Ko2M, than on the FCSA World Match of which funding allows for sponsoring the Ko2M event. A minor point except that this year it causes a major problem with target construction and scheduled Practice sessions.

Overall I support the FCSA, but changes in how the organization is structured and run needs to be changed.

My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:03:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And when I click on "membership application" I get "No Webpage Found".

View Quote

The site has had a "store" for quite a while now.  Here is the membership link - http://www.fcsa.org/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=28&zenid=1d2d95ac34a4e7dc16f79d2c03d192ed
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I joined for a year because the local range that allowed .50 required uses to be members for some reason.  Once I got on the forums it seemed like they were totally dead and people were kind of rude.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#7]
OldmanFCSA is the one that introduced me to shooting the 50 BMG and the FCSA. In 2013, I depended heavily on the use of a wheelchair, due to injuries I suffered dating back to 1999.  He asked me to go because my ability to drive long distances, without getting sleepy. I couldn't walk very well but I could drive.
So, I agreed to go to my first match at the Alliance, NE match in 2013. I had the expectation of watching them shoot and just MAYBE, I would get to shoot a couple of rounds from his 50 on Friday, the sight-in day. What ended up happening was a dream come true. On our way to the match OldmanFCSA informed me that he had brought extra ammo and a second gun. He said I would be competing in the match. I nearly fell out of the truck from shock and fear, at the same time.
I had never so much as fired a 50, nor had I ever shot anything beyond about 500 yards. I was literally on cloud 9 for the entire trip there. I did have a concern though as to how, I would shoot this big 50 from a wheelchair. I was also concerned as to how I would be treated or accepted at a 1000 yd match of 50 BMG shooters. Let me say, it was and still is, one of the best shooting experiences of my life. I was totally accepted, encouraged and helped in every facet of the match and the get together at the motel we all stayed in. It hooked me and is still a major reason I still shoot in FCSA matches and will remain a member for as long as I am still able to shoot.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:08:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Continued:  As a new posting member my post was limited to 2000 characters so here is the rest of my post:

I no longer depend on the wheelchair, and now own the very gun I first shot in 2013. OldmanFCSA has become a very close friend and as well a mentor, in shooting the 50 and reloading match quality ammo for it. I wish I could financially afford to travel to all the matches from coast to coast, but retirement (medically) doesn't afford that opportunity. So, for now, I relegated to shooting both Alliance matches and the World Championship in Raton, NM. We did have another match planned for the U.P of Michigan ( shot the first match there last year), but for now, that match has had to be cancelled, due to the death of the property owner. Hopefully we will be back in MI next year.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I feel the FCSA has a great deal to offer. I do think there are some changes that could be made, but I'm not involved in the inner workings of the Association. I do agree that the rules are geared for Match shooters and that those shooting matches, should be the ones voting on rules. However, for those that cannot attend the World Championship, but are Competing Members, there should be provisions made to include them in the voting. With today's technology, it would be an easy feat to accomplish. I feel that this one change, would allow members to become more involved and let their voices be heard.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I joined the FCSA about ten years ago, got a few magazines and that was about it.  I was completing in Eatonville back then but no longer do so.  

I would like to get some advice on changing the attitudes towards 50 BMG rifles at local ranges.  One of the clubs I belong to in Western WA does not allow 50 BMG at all.  They were banned at the club after the guy in charge of berm maintenance said they were making too much work for him.  

I attended a club meeting and proposed that the club's restrictions on 50 BMG rifles be eased (use reduced velocity ammo and silencers) for a while to determine if they were acceptable.  The persons present were so opposed to 50 BMG's that my motion did not get a second (Robert's Rules of Order) until the club president insisted that someone allow me to speak.  In the end it did not matter what I said as they felt they could not control the range well enough to ensure that 50 BMG shooters followed the new rules if changes were made.  There is at least one RSO on site at all times there, so I didn't think it would be a problem enforcing the rules.

Next I proposed (in a letter to the club president) that any 50 BMG rifle be allowed on the range two days a month.  I would fabricate a bench mounted muffler (55 gallon drum) and make a bullet trap set into the berm to contain the bullets and keep dirt from flying around.  I was unable to find anyone who was willing to attend a club meeting with me so that I could be assured of being allowed to speak as I didn't know if the club president would speak up for me as before.  In fact I got a load of crap directed at me about my "crotch toys" (I only own one 50 BMG, so I guess my other guns are crotch toys also) and how I was trying to ruin the club.

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Randy Bragge
Belfair WA
(360) 440-5889
[email protected]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Gentlemen, thank you for your responses. Ill refrain from opening the discussion at this time as to not influence future input. Im still receiving emails from this post which I greatly appreciate, as well as the posts above.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I joined the FCSA about ten years ago, got a few magazines and that was about it.  I was completing in Eatonville back then but no longer do so.  

I would like to get some advice on changing the attitudes towards 50 BMG rifles at local ranges.  One of the clubs I belong to in Western WA does not allow 50 BMG at all.  They were banned at the club after the guy in charge of berm maintenance said they were making too much work for him.  

I attended a club meeting and proposed that the club's restrictions on 50 BMG rifles be eased (use reduced velocity ammo and silencers) for a while to determine if they were acceptable.  The persons present were so opposed to 50 BMG's that my motion did not get a second (Robert's Rules of Order) until the club president insisted that someone allow me to speak.  In the end it did not matter what I said as they felt they could not control the range well enough to ensure that 50 BMG shooters followed the new rules if changes were made.  There is at least one RSO on site at all times there, so I didn't think it would be a problem enforcing the rules.

Next I proposed (in a letter to the club president) that any 50 BMG rifle be allowed on the range two days a month.  I would fabricate a bench mounted muffler (55 gallon drum) and make a bullet trap set into the berm to contain the bullets and keep dirt from flying around.  I was unable to find anyone who was willing to attend a club meeting with me so that I could be assured of being allowed to speak as I didn't know if the club president would speak up for me as before.  In fact I got a load of crap directed at me about my "crotch toys" (I only own one 50 BMG, so I guess my other guns are crotch toys also) and how I was trying to ruin the club.

Randy Bragge
Belfair WA
(360) 440-5889
[email protected]
View Quote

I think I know what range you are talking about and there is a lot of bad blood created by another 50cal shooter. Here is the plan....for now drop the 50cal issue and shoot your other guns. Make friends, attend every meeting and become the model club member. Help out where you can and try to wedge yourself in as an inner member of the range. Meanwhile, study the bylaws and learn what you can about the range and its property behind the backstop. Find out what you can about the sound issues. Try to locate other "large caliber shooters" (between 300WM and 50BMG) and make friends with them too. They will be your support in the future. Once you have made friends, embedded yourself and learn what you can about the rules structure, range and management structure,  local ordinances and personalities involved so you can then make a plan to improve the function of the facility and that improvement will include a 'large caliber' program involving safer operation and maintence of the range. If you need help at this point just give me a call.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wish I'd seen your post earlier.  FCSA had a national-level match at Rattlesnake (WA) last weekend (4/21-24).  They have another one scheduled for Sep (see http://www.1moa.org/match-schedule-2016.html).

While I appreciate the suggestions made by Dave Moore, seems like a lot more work than is worth it.  I suggest you find a place to shoot (public land or private property), take a friend to spot for you, hone your skills with the 50 and then shoot those two annual FCSA matches.  IMO, better than kissing b... Their loss, not yours.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Wish I'd seen your post earlier.  FCSA had a national-level match at Rattlesnake (WA) last weekend (4/21-24).  They have another one scheduled for Sep (see http://www.1moa.org/match-schedule-2016.html).

While I appreciate the suggestions made by Dave Moore, seems like a lot more work than is worth it.  I suggest you find a place to shoot (public land or private property), take a friend to spot for you, hone your skills with the 50 and then shoot those two annual FCSA matches.  IMO, better than kissing b... Their loss, not yours.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, it depends on his next closest range. A lot of guys have run into this kind of issue and their next closest range is far away. So it comes down to a choice of personal economics, put in a little effort at the local range or driving half the day to get to the other range.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 10:41:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Well, it depends on his next closest range. A lot of guys have run into this kind of issue and their next closest range is far away. So it comes down to a choice of personal economics, put in a little effort at the local range or driving half the day to get to the other range.

Please re-read my suggestion.  I said nothing about finding another range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 8:21:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Please re-read my suggestion.  I said nothing about finding another range.
View Quote

I see, you are suggesting he makes friends with a wealthy land owner with enough property to SAFELY shoot his 50cal. I apologize for my oversight.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
A couple things that I posted on Biggerhammer were, 1) when the board FCSA board is down there's a message to use Biggerhammer. 2) while this happens, non members can't use the forums on the FCSA board. The visitor side is dead or non existent.

Two other issues that I also brought up were the matches and VHP magazine. I know they could offer VHP for sale to the public, maybe as just a magazine membership? The magazine offers a lot of information and most people say that the magazine is worth the cost of the FCSA membership.

Second was matches, why they can't offer a buy in for all matches for non members is beyond me. Let guys that want to come out and shoot a match buy in? This is another thing that could boost membership, if they like shooting the matches they might get further involved in the FCSA. Buy a membership, attend more matches...

Just some issues to think about...
View Quote

While I was the Match Director of the Regional Match at Alliance Nebraska, I allowed for non-members to shoot the match. Their scores were calculated, presented and then deleted and no info regarding their attendance ever went to the FCSA office. The FCSA does not provide insurance for the ranges, except World at Raton, and leaves the Match Director hanging for all pit supplies as the Match Director must buy all supplies from FCSA Main Office. So if not a member, we charged for the Match per classes shot, told shooter how he would have placed compared to other shooters, but deleted info related to his attendance.
BUT IF the same shooter returned for a second Match, it was required that a FCSA 1 year membership be purchased, and all other FCSA rights and privileges were available after processing at FCSA Main Office.
If you showed up to shoot, I would find a way to fit you into the match if you completed other duties such as Pit Duty and General setup cleanup repair.

Other Match Directors may do it differently.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:48:50 AM EDT
[#18]
A sure fire way to turn off new shooters to a discipline  is to exclude them. Let them shoot, but charge them a little extra for not being members. Let's them get their feet wet a little.
I shot at matches years ago, membership was paid for by Barrett and all match fees were paid by them also. Had a great time.
If you want the association to grow, find ways to include prospective members, not turn them off to it.
Let them shoot in matches, let them know how they would have placed IF they had been members.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 12:58:33 AM EDT
[#19]
I was Match Director at Alliance for several, years and if someone showed up and wanted to shoot but was not a member I let them shoot for the same match fees as every one else. At the end of the match they were not eligible to win an award but got their standings in the match. Had people join after their first match like this. We always did what we could to get people to shoot their 1st match, member or not.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

That is the problem, finding a place to shoot near my home.  The only places I'm willing to shoot near my home are the two rifle ranges within 25 miles from me.  Going out into the woods with a 50 BMG just sounds a bit more reckless than I am comfortable with.  I want to shoot into a berm, not into the trees.  If driving 90 minutes to shoot was okay, I'd still be going to Eatonville.  I know others are more than willing to shoot in the woods or drive a long distance, I'd rather stay close to home.  But thanks for the suggestions guys.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 7:59:37 AM EDT
[#21]
RanB I see you are located in WA. I have a friend and fellow 50 Competitor in FCSA matches that also lives in WA. He just shot a World Record and if you like, I can attempt t get the two of you in touch. He may have some info where you might be able to shoot. Depending on where each of you are located in WA.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 1:56:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Would you be speaking of Lee Rasmussen?  I used to compete against him in Eastonville; never beat him of course.  :)  I'm in Belfair.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Dave Nicholson = Shot a 300-20x - 10/04/2015

Link Posted: 5/12/2016 7:12:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I showed up at an FCSA match in TX back in 08 or 07.. At least half a doz people offered to let me shoot their guns after I worked the pits for half a day just to hang out.

It was a very nice bunch of people.

I was a bit afraid for the guy using a rubber mallet to open his bolt after ever shot tho :)
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I was a bit afraid for the guy using a rubber mallet to open his bolt after ever shot tho :)
View Quote

Was it an LAR without the bolt modification?  I broke off two bolt handles prior to getting mine modified.

Randy
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Was it an LAR without the bolt modification?  I broke off two bolt handles prior to getting mine modified.

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

Think it wax an ALS upper.
Link Posted: 5/18/2016 3:57:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Most mallets seen on a shooting bench are used to either seat the feet points of their rests into the concrete table tops, or to move the sand around in the rest bags to get a proper fit to the rifle.

I've heard that some top shooters use one to open their actions as it causes less shift to rifle than horsing it open with the palm of your hand - I have not tried it.

As a previous FCSA Match Director, I did not allow closing the bolt with a hammer, no matter how weak the shooter's hands may be. A 12" piece of PVC tubing over bolt handle will resolve most weak hand issues.

Be SAFE, Have FUN.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:33:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Would you be speaking of Lee Rasmussen?  I used to compete against him in Eastonville; never beat him of course.  :)  I'm in Belfair.

Randy
View Quote

OldmanFCSA already stated it but I needed to reply. It is Dave Nicholson and he is in the Tacoma area. World record holder and a great guy.

Shoot Big Stuff,

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:56:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Glad to see the mention of the FCSA brought up and what might be done to help it grow.

I've been a member now for the last three years and I got to say that shooting at a match and working the pits is an awesome experience. I too live in the NW and plan to take in the Eatonville monthly fun shoot soon and have attend a few of the shoots out at Rattle Snake and have placed well.

The main problem as far as I'm concerned is the lack of info available online to anything FCSA related. The FCSA needs an online forum that allows everyone to communicate their interest, comments and questions. Only paid members can view the current FCSA forums.  I have brought up this question as to why there is no FCSA forums open to the public but the answers really didn't make any since to me.

We need to generate interest by posting more pics of everything we love about shooting the BMG, have open forms with quality discussions concerning everything BMG related.

Pictures like bullets made from scrap berdan primed 308 cases that might some day place high at a match. Now that would be a heck of a story :)

Don't quite understand how to post a pic here yet, when I edit the post and preview the pic is there yet on the forum only the link???? Oh well... I'll figure it out ......

Good shooting and swage on!

BT
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 3:35:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Lets see if this pic works?????

Nope....have to try again later....

BT
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:29:37 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Lets see if this pic works?????

Nope....have to try again later....

BT
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Nice bullet pron.  Are those turned aluminum noses?  What is your swaging setup?  Perspiring minds await the answers.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 11:19:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Turned aluminum VLD tips from Corbin's.

Thanks.

820 grain bullet formed in dies I made myself used in a RCE hydraulic press. 10s ogive with 9 degree boat tail down to a diameter of .375. I have already shot bullets made in these dies with a quality commercial jacket with match winning accuracy but have yet to shoot any of these 50 BMG bullets made from scrap brass. I will be soon!

BT
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 11:33:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That is the problem, finding a place to shoot near my home.  The only places I'm willing to shoot near my home are the two rifle ranges within 25 miles from me.  Going out into the woods with a 50 BMG just sounds a bit more reckless than I am comfortable with.  I want to shoot into a berm, not into the trees.  If driving 90 minutes to shoot was okay, I'd still be going to Eatonville.  I know others are more than willing to shoot in the woods or drive a long distance, I'd rather stay close to home.  But thanks for the suggestions guys.

Randy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Randy

I'd like to be able to shoot my 50's in my backyard too.
The FCSA is not going to be able to make a 50bmg friendly range or match happen in everyone's backyard.
I drive almost 5 hours(one way)and spend close to a thousand dollars to shoot my 50's at a match.
I'm sure everyone would rather stay close to home and spend $5 dollars to shoot a match or join a club that allows 50bmgs, but It ain't happening and if you want to shoot your 50's, YOUR going to have to do something about it, not the FCSA.
Get the local clubs board of directors to the range and shoot your 50 into the berm and show them that the 50 isn't ruining the clubs berm.
Start slowly and Ask them for a trial run for a one day a week "50Bmg day" and have the berm monitored for damage.
Only allow ball and match projos to be shot, no tracers,incendiary or AP projos allowed.
I did this with my local(30 Miles away) club 15 years ago and when they saw that 50 cals were safe,they allowed 50's to be shot at all times.
Of course, if your shooting your 50 around other club members, you need to be cognizant that some club members might be a little intimidated by the muzzle blast of the rifle and you should act accordingly.
I usually shoot my 50's during the middle of the week and bring some other rifles to shoot before I bring the cannon out.
Consider bringing some extra ball rounds, as most members will shoot a round or two when asked and have a better attitude towards the big 50 afterwards.
When I RO the rifle range before each deer season, some members and their family still thank me for giving them the opportunity to shoot a 50Bmg.
Those are my suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2016 8:22:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Ive left this topic go quiet these past couple months as Ive made some phone calls to board members and other related people in an effort to discuss the concerns at hand. Conversations have been very productive and while there was no official agenda line for the BOD meeting I know that this topic would be discussed. In the coming weeks Ill revisit this with those I have talked to and continue to make more calls and work this issue toward a solution. Bottom line is I believe we are making progress.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:07:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Lost my posting.

Will try again later.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:17:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Thank you  for all your hard work and input to further improve the Sport of shooting the 50BMG cartridge.

I will assist where I can, but medical issues limit my ability lately.
My membership in FCSA also needs to be renewed so will do so soon.

Other changes are occurring within the FCSA, some good, some slowly, but improving.
While I did not agree with how the King of the 2-Mile competition was introduced, I do believe it has potential to cause new and better rifles.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top