Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2016 11:27:34 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I just purchased my first .50!!!

I ended up going with a LAR Grizzly Big Boar Match Grade. Rifle was lightly used and came with a brand new Leatherwood 4x16x44 scope and rings.

Where do I start in trying to figure out what ammo would be best to use in this as well as where to find said ammo? I'm already looking for a range in GA that will let me fire this bad boy!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:28:30 AM EDT
[#1]
no pics, no care
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats on the new pipe.  The best 50 ammo is what you load.  IIRC, there is one or two guys here that have LAR's and they may be able to help you with live ammo questions.  What does the manufacturer recommend...if any?  Most that don't roll their own seem to like American Eagle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought mine back in 1999; it has the "match" chamber.  I sent it back in for the bolt mod they offered for free to eliminate the very hard to open bolt after firing.  It is short for a 50 BMG due to the bull pup action.  The bipod that came with it was nearly useless.  I attached a large steel plate for use on a sandbag then later on made my own bipod.  I have a Premier Reticles 32X scope with 1/8 mil-dots.  The muzzle brake was way too small in my opinion so I made it wider by welding steel plates to it for more surface area and to direct the blast at an angle to the back; worked much better that way.  Last year I made a silencer for it.  The recoil is a bit more stout but with the side blast eliminated the rifle is much more comfortable to shoot.

The best accuracy I can get at 500 yards is 2 moa with my hand loaded Amax on top of 205 grains of 5010.  This makes it in my experience much better than an M-82 but not as good as bolt guns.  The bore is rather rough which means it takes at least 30 minutes to clean after shooting a dozen rounds.  The so called match chamber has a rather wide throat which allows the neck to expand much more than is needed.  This along with my RCBS loading dies which over size then properly expand the neck work the metal so much I get cracked necks after about 5 reloads even with annealing.

Silencer Test

Randy
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top