User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 9:52:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
WOW! Good grief!

I'll bet recoil would be bad, but not shoulder breaking like some would think.

Anyhow- my RN50 is supposed to ship in August or September. I'm anxious but try not to think about it.
View Quote

Recoil is no worse on short barreled .50s than longer barreled ones. We did a bunch of testing on barrel lengths down to 16" when I was at Barrett.

When I worked at Serbu, we did some 16" barreled BFG's. They weren't bad to fire at all.
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 6:28:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Recoil is no worse on short barreled .50s than longer barreled ones. We did a bunch of testing on barrel lengths down to 16" when I was at Barrett.

When I worked at Serbu, we did some 16" barreled BFG's. They weren't bad to fire at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
WOW! Good grief!

I'll bet recoil would be bad, but not shoulder breaking like some would think.

Anyhow- my RN50 is supposed to ship in August or September. I'm anxious but try not to think about it.

This is the truth!

Not only is the projectile being pushed for a shorter time (developing less recoil)
but the gas pressure is much higher when the projectile uncorks at the end of the barrel
which makes the muzzle brake work even better (cancelling recoil)

My 17.5 pound 18" Ultramag is a much softer shooter than my heavier 29" BFG-50
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 9:56:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 8:43:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Interesting. Thanks for posting the info.
Link Posted: 4/2/2016 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
One thing to watch out for using a short barreled .50 is unburnt powder. Those little sticks coming out at .50 velocity hurt when they come out of the barrel...
View Quote

That unburned powder also causes accelerated muzzle brake erosion!

The brake works better, but gets "sand blasted" by the grains, which wears a chamfer into the thru-holes of the brake.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to clean up a few of my brakes with a dremel tool because of unburnt kernels of powder peening the inside of the brake and gradually making the hole smaller.
I first noticed it at a match I was getting erratic groups. Took the brake off to clean the barrel. I looked through the brake to see how dirty it was and saw the edges of the hole were peened inward and the hole wasn't round.
Link Posted: 4/4/2016 11:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That EOthingy doesn't stand a chance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That EOthingy doesn't stand a chance.

Psssshhh
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:40:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Working out two issues with my building on this future purchase:

-What scope mount/height would work best with a piece of glass on this gun? It looks like the rail is raised a bit already.

-Are AR buffer tubes/adjustable plastic stocks able to handle the recoil of a the .50 BMG in the normal length barrel?

If anyone more experienced with .50 cal rifles can weigh in it would be very welcome. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 8:35:15 PM EDT
[#10]
-edit double post
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

-What scope mount/height would work best with a piece of glass on this gun? It looks like the rail is raised a bit already.

-Are AR buffer tubes/adjustable plastic stocks able to handle the recoil of a the .50 BMG in the normal length barrel?

If anyone more experienced with .50 cal rifles can weigh in it would be very welcome. Thanks.
View Quote

I was wondering about this too. I honestly may just put a red dot on this one though. I personally wouldn't use a carbine tube, stock. All the force get put one the position pin IMO.  I was going to order an A2 stock, but the Magpul rifle length looks a little better and is only around $60 if you already have a rifle extension laying around.
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 6:56:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone hear if the first shipment went out yet?
Link Posted: 5/21/2016 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I could be wrong but it looks like the same size rail that is on my BFG, in fact the rn50 looks like a bfg minus the tube and bolt assembly.
I am running the lowest 30mm Badger max 50 rings and am using a Nightforce 8-32x56 mm scope.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:27:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm on the first shipment list, have not received my phone call yet. I did order a stock from Safety Harbor Firearms, looks pretty nice and substantially cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:50:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm on the first shipment list, have not received my phone call yet. I did order a stock from Safety Harbor Firearms, looks pretty nice and substantially cheaper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I saw that too. I'm thinking about it.

I'm supposed to hear something August or Sept.

I'm expecting it to be much later though.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#16]
While I love 50 bmg rifles, this one I just don't get.
Maybe if it was $500, but I don't see it being a big seller with the amount of 50 bmg uppers available in any configuration that you don't need to register and can be shipped to your door.
Is there anything to stop it from firing, if you accidentally let the hammer go while cocking it ?

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:58:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Maybe if it was $500, but I don't see it being a big seller with the amount of 50 bmg uppers available in any configuration that you don't need to register and can be shipped to your door.
Is there anything to stop it from firing, if you accidentally let the hammer go while cocking it ?

View Quote

Can I touch a complete upper for $800? Ain't no registration for most of us. I'm curious about the hammer, but I'd guess it's safe.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#19]
I meant fill a 4473 out, not register. It was a long day.
I'm not saying the rifle is unsafe,  I'm just asking that if you "accidentally" let the hammer go before it locks onto the trigger sear, could it set off the round in the chamber ?
Any firearm is safe until you add the human factor into the equation.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:46:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I called Serbu, first shipment supposed to go out in June.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:11:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I meant fill a 4473 out, not register. It was a long day.
I'm not saying the rifle is unsafe,  I'm just asking that if you "accidentally" let the hammer go before it locks onto the trigger sear, could it set off the round in the chamber ?
Any firearm is safe until you add the human factor into the equation.

View Quote

It probably has a half cock like some leverguns have. Purely speculation that it does though. Mark makes awesome stuff though. They are a small shop so production is slow but it is worth the wait
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I called Serbu, first shipment supposed to go out in June.
View Quote

lol...riiiiigggghhhttt
Link Posted: 6/30/2016 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Anybody get one shipped yet?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:16:49 AM EDT
[#24]
two more weeks...
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 1:17:34 AM EDT
[#25]
by the way, I have a BFG50A, its's worth the wait..
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#26]
On a few firearm Facebook pages, there are users that have had their RN50's for awhile now.
Some have some really nice Ceracoat jobs on them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 10:26:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
On a few firearm Facebook pages, there are users that have had their RN50's for awhile now.
View Quote

Mine is supposed to ship this month. Do you have a link to some of the facebook pages?
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 9:45:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Mine is supposed to ship this month. Do you have a link to some of the facebook pages?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahaha right!!  My invoice is dated 2/1 and was supposed to ship in May.  It's 2 months late and they told me another two months.  That's at least 4 months behind their chart.  Not holding my breath on this thing.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

How are you going to get a round in the chamber in the first place if you don't cock the hammer?

I imagine the loading sequence is cock hammer, safe it, unscrew cap, load round, screw on cap, unsafe, fire

Unless you're the kind of special needs person that would lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.

Also, you're in favor of 50 uppers costing at least $1000 dollars each and more like $1500 for any one that is worth a damn, and you think a complete rifle is not only not a deal at under $1000 but that it should cost $500???

You're something else with that dizzying logic.
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Two Weeks

Two Weeks

Two Weeks

Two Weeks
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Woke up to this email this morning.  SERBU is pretty much saying these will go deep in to 2017.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 10:57:07 AM EDT
[#32]

Am I the only one that wants one but thinks the reloading time schedule is ridiculous with unscrewing a cap and shit? You could never get more than maybe two or three shots off if trying to stop an incoming vehicle over like a mile long valley.

SO!

How about taking one of these and modifying the threads on the end cap AND on the breech by cutting away three slots to create a locking breech- a la https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupted_screw

like a howitzer breech - basically the cap will go on and do a half turn. If cut in the right spot, the threads/cap will have 100% engagement when tightened by twisting to the right but be able to be disengaged/unlocked and slide straight out with a half turn to the left.

The only thing I can see going wrong with this is:

(1) MDCOA: threads are weakened by being 'non-contiguous'  - perhaps mitigated by slightly radiusing the cuts?

(2) MPCOA: thread cut channels are not cut exactly in the correct place and do not line up right to have full engagement when tightened fully

Honestly, aside from drawing up and calculating exactly where the threads would need to be ground/machined down to form the 'locking breech' channels, the work could pretty much be down by hand with a dremel and some pointy grinding tips. And time/patience.

Thoughts on this? The INTERRUPTED SCREW style breech contains the force of everything from howitzers to bolt-action 2 lug .22's - which utilize the same concept, but grossly simplified.

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Am I the only one that wants one but thinks the reloading time schedule is ridiculous with unscrewing a cap and shit? You could never get more than maybe two or three shots off if trying to stop an incoming vehicle over like a mile long valley.

SO!

How about taking one of these and modifying the threads on the end cap AND on the breech by cutting away three slots to create a locking breech- a la https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interrupted_screw

like a howitzer breech - basically the cap will go on and do a half turn. If cut in the right spot, the threads/cap will have 100% engagement when tightened by twisting to the right but be able to be disengaged/unlocked and slide straight out with a half turn to the left.

The only thing I can see going wrong with this is:

(1) MDCOA: threads are weakened by being 'non-contiguous'  - perhaps mitigated by slightly radiusing the cuts?

(2) MPCOA: thread cut channels are not cut exactly in the correct place and do not line up right to have full engagement when tightened fully

Honestly, aside from drawing up and calculating exactly where the threads would need to be ground/machined down to form the 'locking breech' channels, the work could pretty much be down by hand with a dremel and some pointy grinding tips. And time/patience.

Thoughts on this? The INTERRUPTED SCREW style breech contains the force of everything from howitzers to bolt-action 2 lug .22's - which utilize the same concept, but grossly simplified.

View Quote

I cant tell if you are trolling but you do understand there are different tools for different jobs right? If you want to slay belts of .50, go buy an M2. Too much? You cant get an M107. The RN-50 is meant for the casual shooters who want a fifty for under a grand.

People need transportation.  A Corvette Z06 and a Toyota Prius will both do the job but they are designed for different things and perform differently.  I dont know how you dont understand this concept?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 3:10:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How are you going to get a round in the chamber in the first place if you don't cock the hammer?

I imagine the loading sequence is cock hammer, safe it, unscrew cap, load round, screw on cap, unsafe, fire

Unless you're the kind of special needs person that would lower the hammer on a loaded chamber.

Also, you're in favor of 50 uppers costing at least $1000 dollars each and more like $1500 for any one that is worth a damn, and you think a complete rifle is not only not a deal at under $1000 but that it should cost $500???

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Obviously you haven't seen the video of the rifle being fired, as you state you" imagine " what the rifles loading sequence is and then question my "dizzying logic" ????
Please refrain from posting until you know, not " imagine" what your talking about.
While I only own one serbu 50 cal rifle now and I know MS wouldn't put his name on a product that's not safe, I still don't see what's to stop a round from being fired if a thumb slips while in the process of cocking the hammer fully  before it latches onto the sear ?

Link Posted: 7/13/2016 11:23:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You do understand that its a break action, right? You hinge it open to load and unload it, as well as letting the hammer down if need to.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I think I would look at it like this, go to school to become a mechanical engineer.

Open your own business, buy hundreds of thousands of dollars of machinery. Make your own firearms, pay for insurance, pay for employees...

And when a design fails, go back to the drawing board and start again and again until you get it right.

Then remember that Mark is a perfectionist and has NEVER delivered on time due to it! What he does deliver is a safe and affordable product at a good price.

See how simple it is?
View Quote

Not to mention Vulcan/Hesse tried this idea years ago. We saw how that played out.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Obviously you haven't seen the video of the rifle being fired, as you state you" imagine " what the rifles loading sequence is and then question my "dizzying logic" ????
Please refrain from posting until you know, not " imagine" what your talking about.
While I only own one serbu 50 cal rifle now and I know MS wouldn't put his name on a product that's not safe, I still don't see what's to stop a round from being fired if a thumb slips while in the process of cocking the hammer fully  before it latches onto the sear ?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, cock hammer and safe it first, then break the action and load.

Nothing in the video suggests you can't do this.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

You do understand that its a break action, right? You hinge it open to load and unload it, as well as letting the hammer down if need to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would you need to let the hammer down unless you're firing?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Guess who got the call their rifle is shipping? :)

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Guess who got the call their rifle is shipping? :)

View Quote

Cool what date did you order?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Jan 29th

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Missed my call twice today. Fucking work

Jan 25 for me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 8:45:54 PM EDT
[#45]
What scope should i put on mine? I am thinking some kind of vortex.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:01:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What scope should i put on mine? I am thinking some kind of vortex.
View Quote

Vortex Viper is what was recommended to me, but I don't want to spend that much

How do you know what height to mount it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:03:42 PM EDT
[#47]
My invoice is dated Feb 10 I think. I'll get it when I get it.

I'm just happy I got it ordered and that some of you guys are getting yours.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#48]
The RN-50 breech cap has a octagonal nut machined into it incase you cannot remove it by hand.

Serbu warns against the use of American eagle .50 BMG due to soft brass.

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 7:51:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Update, Rifle did not ship, it ships today, I'm not too happy about that..but what can you do. Was looking for it to come in tomorrow.
Page / 4
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top