Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2016 9:51:33 AM EDT
I wanted to find out which 50BMG ammo to avoid in general.  I have a local guy selling some 50BMG and I wanted to know if I should avoid anything that he has for sale.

FMJ is made by Mauser Ammuntions

API is made by Summit Ammunition

AP is unknown.  He said that it has LC headstamp on the brass.

I believe I read on this forum to avoid ammo made in Dominican Republic.  What other ammo should I avoid?  I also read not to use the Federal/Eagle in Safety Harbor 50BMG rifles (I do not own Safety Harbor so non issue for me).
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:19:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your reply.

Yes, the FMJ is Mitchell's Mauser ammo.

He said the AP ammo is "sealed", but it doesn't sound like it's in a spam can.  He mentioned 10rds sealed, so I'm assuming he's talking about cardboard.

I'm going to see if a search can tell me yes or no on the Summit ammo.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I know this doesn't apply to the OP but The deal with Safety Harbor rifle isn't that Federal/American eagle ammo is not recommended but that you should try a few rounds before you buy a case of it to see how it shoots in your rifle.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:37:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:39:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you, sir

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Summit is good to go.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone know this headstamp for a API round.  The seller doesn't know...and I tried to find the manufacturer online, but couldn't find these markings.

At the top
K.53

Bottom
50  1Z

I don't know how to post picture as he sent it to me via text.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:37:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for your reply.  I really don't want to shoot corrosive ammo through a $4k+ rifle, but that's just me, so I'm going to pass on the ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Where can I find quality/cost effective API rounds or bullets? I easily found Summit API, Xproducts, and 50BMGSupply API rounds. Any other sources? Any to be avoided?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 4:46:09 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a guy that sells API projos on GB for just $200/1000.  I bought some and he is a good seller. They are a bit on the dirty side but they are a bargain and do clean up nice in the tumbler.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 6:58:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is a guy that sells API projos on GB for just $200/1000.  I bought some and he is a good seller. They are a bit on the dirty side but they are a bargain and do clean up nice in the tumbler.
View Quote

Do you wet tumble them? Or dry tumble?

Haven't tried API ammo before. Guess you have to shoot at paper instead of steel and to have a dirt berm or something behind so it won't catch on fire?
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top