Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 11:11:10 PM EDT
Interesting new .50 cal rifles:

From Day 1 - Serbu ("modified break-action design with screw-on breech cap")

From Day 2 - "Guns & Gold 2" (previously Liberty Arms)

See http://elr-resources.com/page16.html
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:44:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks man ! That was an awesome post. Well worth the read. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 7:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The RN50 sounds interesting. The price was the real attention getter. Not too many choices out there for a sub-$1k 50 BMG.
View Quote

The weight is attractive too, Will recoil more, but wont be a burden to carry around.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
if the price is appealing, jump soon.  That was the SHOT Show price.  It's going up to $1199 shortly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Am I the only one wondering how a threaded cap can contain a 50 BMG blast?
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 11:39:53 PM EDT
[#6]
That threaded cap is very robust.  Call Serbu and ask him.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 1:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
RN-50 is very intriguing, both in design and price. Wondering how easy it will be to remove the spent case.  In a perfect scenerio, the shell would just fall out the breech once the cap is unscrewed. Worst case scenario, you have to nudge it out with a cleaning rod.  Unless I am missing the extractor system? For the price, very tempting esp if it has a simple extractor of sorts..
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
RN-50 is very intriguing, both in design and price. Wondering how easy it will be to remove the spent case.  In a perfect scenerio, the shell would just fall out the breech once the cap is unscrewed. Worst case scenario, you have to nudge it out with a cleaning rod.  Unless I am missing the extractor system? For the price, very tempting esp if it has a simple extractor of sorts..
View Quote

I asked the same question just before I ordered one today - if it doesn't come out by grasping and pulling/hand pressure, Mark uses the rim of another cartridge case to pull it out.- hooks the rim of one case (in the barrel) with the rim of the second.  I'll probably build a tool to use in "emergencies".  

BTW, as of this AM, the $875 price is still being honored.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mark Serbu is well known for putting out quality products. They may not be pretty and they may not be on a strict time line will be YEARS late if you're lucky but they are going to be well made.
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 8:00:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I asked the same question just before I ordered one today - if it doesn't come out by grasping and pulling/hand pressure, Mark uses the rim of another cartridge case to pull it out.- hooks the rim of one case (in the barrel) with the rim of the second.  I'll probably build a tool to use in "emergencies".  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the turn around time to receive it? Looks weird but would like someone to post a video of this in action. Would seem recoil will be strong. Can't beat the cost. May order one if recoil is about the same as my old safety harbors 50BMG. Currently looking for a used single shot and this might fit the bill.
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#12]

What is the turn around time to receive it? Looks weird but would like someone to post a video of this in action. Would seem recoil will be strong. Can't beat the cost. May order one if recoil is about the same as my old safety harbors 50BMG. Currently looking for a used single shot and this might fit the bill.
View Quote

As I understand it, the turn-around time will not set until they stop taking Show-Special orders (first batch to be produced).

Videos at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T4DwrIB34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFv7E7QIVWY&feature=youtu.be

Safety Harbor has a very good recoil pad on these two buttstocks - http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/products/accessories - and, of course, the $875 includes Serbu's regular muzzle brake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 8:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]
That butt pad safety harbors is using is from zel. I picked up a PRS with that pad for my safety harbor 22 inch when I put one together. It works great. Kept shoulder fatigue down to a minimum. Not cheap though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
As I understand it, the turn-around time will not set until they stop taking Show-Special orders (first batch to be produced).
View Quote

Post back in this thread when you get it.  Ok, who am I kidding, post up a new thread when you get it - this one will be LONG since archived.  My prediction:
Click To View Spoiler
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Post back in this thread when you get it.  Ok, who am I kidding, post up a new thread when you get it - this one will be LONG since archived.  My prediction:
Click To View Spoiler
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Click To View Spoiler

30-60 days until the first rifles start shipping.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
30-60 days until the first rifles start shipping.
View Quote

Serbu.  You can post a picture of you with yours and the current day's newspaper and prove me (happily) wrong.  I'd love it if those guys got their stuff together, but
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#17]
There is no way I would put my face behind a threaded breech 50 BMG cap no matter who made it.  I'll stick with my AR-50.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
There is no way I would put my face behind a threaded breech 50 BMG cap no matter who made it.  I'll stick with my AR-50.
View Quote

You and me both. And for anyone that says" yea but it half the cost" I say so what. Save a little more and wait if you have to. Even if it never blew up in your face, there is no way after a box of shells that kind of reloading would be any kind of fun. Nope, no thanks

I like that there arenore 50's coming but not like this. Imho anyway
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:48:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why do .50's have to be so expensive? Its usually because there is a lot more metal, Parts are larger due to everything being larger, Heck, Ruger could build a .50 BMG on an upscaled American. It's not some magical cartridge that requires Metal forged on Mt.Doom and quenched in unicorn blood. There are plenty of other cartridges out there that develop pressures In excess of the .50 BMG's maximum..If you don't trust a threaded cap to withstand .50 BMG, then how do you trust the barrel of your AR15 not to fall off?

Also consider how barretts have a construction similiar to AK/H&K rifles being mostly Stamped and welded Sheet metal, Theres no reason the barrett should cost more than the AR-50, which is a completely machined reciever..
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:47:48 PM EDT
[#20]
They said the pricing would be honored until the 19th. I already got an invoice for one even though I'm not out any money right now. That's not a good sign imo. Since they didn't take any deposits, they can take as long as they want. For $900, I can wait a few months.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 6:13:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Why do .50's have to be so expensive? Its usually because there is a lot more metal, Parts are larger due to everything being larger, Heck, Ruger could build a .50 BMG on an upscaled American. It's not some magical cartridge that requires Metal forged on Mt.Doom and quenched in unicorn blood. There are plenty of other cartridges out there that develop pressures In excess of the .50 BMG's maximum..If you don't trust a threaded cap to withstand .50 BMG, then how do you trust the barrel of your AR15 not to fall off?

Also consider how barretts have a construction similiar to AK/H&K rifles being mostly Stamped and welded Sheet metal, Theres no reason the barrett should cost more than the AR-50, which is a completely machined reciever..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wasn't complaining about the price.  Hell, I'd love to see a bargain single shot 50 BMG on the market so more guys, and a few gals, could enjoy the caliber.  When it comes to the high cost of a 50, you forgot about one aspect....demand and production.  There is little production and they don't easily lend themselves to mass production.  The chance of the barrel of my AR-50 falling off vs. the threaded breech cap on a 50 failing is a plainly foolish comparison. The AR-50 is built like a tank.  It is apparent that you don't own one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 9:28:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I wasn't complaining about the price.  Hell, I'd love to see a bargain single shot 50 BMG on the market so more guys, and a few gals, could enjoy the caliber.  When it comes to the high cost of a 50, you forgot about one aspect....demand and production.  There is little production and they don't easily lend themselves to mass production.  The chance of the barrel of my AR-50 falling off vs. the threaded breech cap on a 50 failing is a plainly foolish comparison. The AR-50 is built like a tank.  It is apparent that you don't own one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt say barrel of your AR-50 falling off, i said barrel of your AR-15 falling off, since its subjected to a cartridge that operates at a higher pressure than a 50 bmg maxes out at. The low production of 50's couldnt be due to the fact that complete rifles are 3000.00 and up could it? And yes, I don't own an AR-50, not currently, I dold it due to its weight and length making it a pain to take to the range. Buying the serbu will fill the hole that selling the AR-50 left.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:04:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:42:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I didnt say barrel of your AR-50 falling off, i said barrel of your AR-15 falling off, since its subjected to a cartridge that operates at a higher pressure than a 50 bmg maxes out at. The low production of 50's couldnt be due to the fact that complete rifles are 3000.00 and up could it? And yes, I don't own an AR-50, not currently, I dold it due to its weight and length making it a pain to take to the range. Buying the serbu will fill the hole that selling the AR-50 left.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats just retarded. You dont remove a ar15 barrel after every shot and put it back on hand tight.  Even tring to compair it to another breach loader/ shell holder isnt the same.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 9:54:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:56:27 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm sure the threaded cap is plenty strong, because as the cartridge is fired the case expands and grips the walls of the chamber before reduction of pressure allows it to contract for extraction.

I have not seen one of these yet, and do not know the design details, BUT a properly designed and manufactured cap would have a "shell holder" built into the cap that would extract the case as it was un-screwed. With the cap removed, it would then allow the cartridge rim to be removed from the shell holder. Loading the firearm would be the reverse: Slide live cartridge head into shell holder that is milled into internal face of cap, then load assembly into/onto rifle, and tighten securely. Headspace would not be an issue unless cap has been designed to index to a particular orientation before firing is allowed. Shell holder need not be 270 degrees to work as most other shell holders are designed - a 180 degree holder would be sufficient but more troublesome to load without cartridge becoming dis-connected from cap.

Feel free to forward these thoughts to the rifle builder, or have him contact me/
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:19:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Oldman:

Video links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al9CYrKC3nI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5T4DwrIB34 - at 0:49

The inside of the cap is flat with a provision for firing "pin" in the center (see 2nd video at 0:49, above).  There is no shell holder.  Extraction, for the most part, has been by simply grasping the case and pulling it out.  If it doesn't come easily, use the rim of an empty to catch the rim on the in-rifle case and pull.  You'd need to contact Serbu for more details.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#28]
I always think of this guy when i see a new design come out.

https://youtu.be/sfOC53Oo5yY
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:06:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

You can't fix STUPID !
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, seeing as the RN-50 is a collaboration between him and serbu, it should seem familiar.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top