Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/21/2015 1:32:30 AM EDT
I want to get a .50 BMG upper "just because" and I've heard good things about SHTF 50 uppers. I'm thinking of going with the 22" barrel as a compromise between velocity and weight.

Realistically, how much faster could someone shoot the mag fed upper vs singe loading the single shot upper? Debating whether it's worth an additional ~$500 to go with mag fed ($400 for the upper plus an additional mag)

Also, I don't currently have anywhere long range to shoot it, so I'm curious what's a ~$3-400 scope option that would work from 1-300 yards. Is the SS 10x MOA/MOA a good choice or would that be too much magnification at 100 yards?

I have a spare UBR kicking around, would it handle the recoil or should I switch to a PRS or the ACE ARFX Skeleton Stock?
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the 22 inch barreled SH 50BMG. Sold it for health reasons. It was mag fed. It would be faster to reload from the magazine. Currently selling the PRS stock and Stubborn mule lower in the EE section (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_47/1470463_Magpul_PRS_and_Stuborn_Mule_Lower__updated_11_18_15_.html ). With that thick pad on the PRS, could shoot most of the day without shoulder fatigue. Would not have sold it if my back would have healed right from the back surgery. Also selling the scope I had on it (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_163/1488147_SWFA_20X42_SS_Scope.html). Didn't want to spend allot but wanted something that would withstand the recoil. Worked like a champ. Go through the pic section and you will see mine when it was together plus other SH owners. One had an 18 inch fire breather. You won't go wrong with the 22 inch. Whether the mag is worth it is up to you. I loaded most of the time single fed. Good luck getting yours. I miss mine.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I want to get a .50 BMG upper "just because" and I've heard good things about SHTF 50 uppers. I'm thinking of going with the 22" barrel as a compromise between velocity and weight.

Realistically, how much faster could someone shoot the mag fed upper vs singe loading the single shot upper? Debating whether it's worth an additional ~$500 to go with mag fed ($400 for the upper plus an additional mag)

Also, I don't currently have anywhere long range to shoot it, so I'm curious what's a ~$3-400 scope option that would work from 1-300 yards. Is the SS 10x MOA/MOA a good choice or would that be too much magnification at 100 yards?

I have a spare UBR kicking around, would it handle the recoil or should I switch to a PRS or the ACE ARFX Skeleton Stock?
View Quote

PC299,
IM me all your questions you want answered.
I have the exact setup you are looking at, fully sorted with all the convenient extras.
For the above questions:
Mag fed is considerably faster between shots.
The SS 10X is cheap and workable but ultimately you will opt for better once comfortable with setup.
PRS stock is best.  I made a custom PRS recoil pad that softens the push even more.
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't see me shooting this thing a lot, especially when I don't have anywhere to stretch it out, so I'm thinking if the SS 10x works, that's probably all I'd use unless I suddenly get an opportunity to shoot at long range.

What extras did you end up going with? Is the Safety Harbor bipod decent or did you go with a different one? Any point in the carry handle? Did you go with a single shot lower or standard lower?

Might as well keep the conversation public so others can get insight as well.

Thanks for chiming in
Link Posted: 11/21/2015 1:14:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a couple of the Mag fed SH in 18" and 22". The shorter length barrels sure make the rifle much more easy, quick to handle and store. The 29" will get you a couple 100 ft more per second than the 22" but for shorter range shooting/plinking it wouldn't matter one bit so I would take the shorter length. The mag fed does make the rifle much quicker to reload, no doubt. It also is fun to rack rounds into it shooting offhand which you will be able to do with the shorter barrel. If your in no hurry a single shot is fine. Helps conserve that expensive 50 BMG ammo.

I run the UBR stock and have fired well over 300 rds with it in place. It seems to be holding up fine. I did wedge a short piece of thick wall rubber hose in the gap formed where the stock pulls out. Just incase the locking mechanism lets go. I have one of those gel pads on the back and it does soften the blow. Felt recoil for these little lightweight 50's is about the same as my Remington 18" tactical 12ga shooting 3" mag, stout but well within my comfort zone.

An SS 10X fixed would be just about perfect combination for you needs out to 4-500 yards.

Photo of my 18" mag fed SH.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 10:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Yeah I'm thinking I'll probably go for the mag fed version... Buy once cry once right?

Is that a cut down magazine in the magwell to plug it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:45:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I was referring to the mag in ehallspqr's AR-15 lower magwell
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 11:39:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

That is a "Jimmy Plug" Magwell seal. Just a cheap little dohickey to fill the empty magwell and keep out debris. Also helps finish off the looks of your build. It holds in there pretty firmly so I suppose a person could fill it with some lead shot to help weight the rifle for recoil control.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:27:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll pick up the plug but I want my .50 portable so I'll hold off on the lead

Wonder if Safety Harbor has any sales?
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 10:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
If you don't mind used, do a google search and look at gun site adds. Saw some listed a few months ago. Save you a few hundred bucks from new.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 11:53:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Safety Harbor sales are brisk so they don't have to discount very much or often. I have seen $100 off on their website a couple of times. Also they hit some of the bigger guns shows and I heard you can get a gunshow discount?

I bought one upper new directly from SH and since it is considered a part and not a complete firearm it shipped right to my door. The AR lower is the registered part. Mine is registered as a rifle and says multi-cal. Not sure it has to say that but I bought mine that way just incase.

The second one I bought used from a friend. I knew the history of that gun and got it for a great deal. I shot that gun way more than him anyway. If you can find a used one you can save some money. Be sure to ask the appropriate questions. Me personally I'd buy a new one with all the current fixes. Call SH and talk to them about the BMG 50 uppers beforehand. There is also Zel and Serbu in the cheaper 50 category.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I may call them up and ask if they're doing anything for Black Friday. Seeing how they've recently improved their chambers I think i'd prefer buying new so it's compatible with the widest range of ammo

ETA: if I go with the low rail, will I need AR height rings or what's the correct height? (I'm most likely going with the SS 10x and may pick up a set of SWFA's rings to go with it)
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 5:56:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That is a "Jimmy Plug" Magwell seal. Just a cheap little dohickey to fill the empty magwell and keep out debris. Also helps finish off the looks of your build. It holds in there pretty firmly so I suppose a person could fill it with some lead shot to help weight the rifle for recoil control.

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/p4174266a.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.laruetactical.com/sites/default/files/p4174266a.jpg

Looks like the only place that still has it in stock is BCM
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 7:28:37 PM EDT
[#15]
50bmg for shtf

Just say it's for fun.  It is. Lol.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#16]
So it looks like the SS 10x is going to be $40 off with a free bubble level and rings. I'm guessing the SS TAC rings aren't ideal since they're aluminum, correct?

If I go with the low rail on the upper do I need AR height rings?
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:21:27 PM EDT
[#17]
There are several rings available that most 50 shooters use the most. I would stick with the ones people recommend like Barrett or Night Force. The go to rings are the Bager and they are steel I believe. I used Seekins rings and they are holding up fine. The standard SH rail puts the scope up nice and high. You'll probably want low or at the most medium height rings.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 8:42:45 AM EDT
[#18]
I used seekins 30mm 4/6 cap low (0.82) rings on my SH when I had it. They don't sell those anymore but worked great with my SWFA 20x42 SS scope. The 4 cap will work fine too.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 9:25:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I used seekins 30mm 4/6 cap low (0.82) rings on my SH when I had it. They don't sell those anymore but worked great with my SWFA 20x42 SS scope. The 4 cap will work fine too.
View Quote

Did you have the high or low rail on the upper?
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 6:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]
High rail. There is a pic of my setup in the pic section before I sold it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top