Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2015 11:03:01 AM EDT
So my next planned big purchase is to take the plunge into 50bmg land and want to get an 82a1.  I can either save up my gun buying allowance that my wife allows me and be able to purchase it by mid 2016, or just put it on the old CC and then pay it off, again by mid 2016.  Saving up and purchasing obviously is the more traditionally "smart" financial move to make to avoid paying interest.  But starting to wonder about what things are going to be looking like in the political/gun buying world in mid 2016, depending on how the presidential race is looking like, we may very well be facing another buying panic, and wondering if 82a1 prices/availability are as susceptible as other areas of the shooting sports, or being a higher ticket item, is it any more resistant to panic buying? Anyone happen to have any recollection of some of the more recent panics and any effect they may have had?
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:10:36 AM EDT
[#1]
first make sure theres a range in your area that will permit a 50bmg to be fired

most of the east coast ranges are closed to 50bmg
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd buy now. You'll probably save money even with interest. It seems like the prices go up each year even if material and labor cost didn't.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The last panic took awhile to hit the .50 market but it did. It raised the prices a little but that was it. You can't raise the prices much as all it does is bring it to a halt.

People that shoot .50's are more frugal then people that shoot smaller calibers! When the panic struck all I did was shoot the stuff I had already bought. Reloaded it and shot it again and again...

The panic was brought to you by people that wouldn't listen to reason! If no one would've bought at the stupid prices, where would the prices have gone? People were so worried about not having ammo that they paid 2,3,10 times what it was worth!!!

That's their fault for being dumbasses to begin with and you can see that they're still trying to get rid of it.

If I was you I would buy now, a year of interest won't set you back that much. Are you buying glass at the same time? What about ammo or accessories? You might want to think about that if you're gonna go through with your plans.

Oh yeah, buy a water tight case to bury it in just in case you need to.
View Quote

I always thought hiding it under a bunch of spray in insulation would be a good idea.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 1:45:41 PM EDT
[#5]
A wise old friend once said to me, "If it gets to the point of having to bury guns, wouldn't that be the time you would want to dig them up?"
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 2:24:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could do that with the insulation but if they come looking in your house, I would think they would have metal detectors.

Burying it in the woods close to your house would be a better idea. I'm sure they would check around the outside of your house also.

Lets hope it never comes to this but it never hurts to be prepared.
View Quote

Having a metal framed house would be fun if that was the case.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 3:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You could do that with the insulation but if they come looking in your house, I would think they would have metal detectors.

Burying it in the woods close to your house would be a better idea. I'm sure they would check around the outside of your house also.

Lets hope it never comes to this but it never hurts to be prepared.

If they want to search your house that bad... I some alphabet agency will just roll in with a X-ray machine, they'll even find the old wiskey jugs that the contractor left in the walls on a friday night..
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Buy now and enjoy it now. No one really knows what the idiots will try to do.
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 11:41:38 PM EDT
[#9]
As I recall 50 prices don't go up as fast or as high as black rifles and pistols but as mentioned in a panic everything goes up and gets harder to find. Last big panic a few years ago I was in the market for a 50 Conversion upper and the manufacturers like Safety Harbor, Serbu etc where backlogged but not really raising prices that much. If it where me and I found the gun I wanted for a good price I would be inclined to buy it now and pay my credit card instead of waiting to save up. You never know what the nincompoops will do or try to do in the future. Ammo may become scarce again so stock up now while the prices are low. You are money ahead even considering credit card charges.

As a general rule of thumb, never buy during a gun ban panic. You'll probably regret it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 10:41:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy it now, justify the interest as being able to play with it now and having almost a year to do so.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I pulled cash out of my 401k to buy a 50, scope and reloading supplies.  Then I got a statement that my 401k had lost my total investment plus a thousand dollars that quarter. At least I have something to show for my money instead of it wasting away in my investment...

Buy now or regret it later.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought mine on a 0 interest credit card.  Had one that sent me checks when I opened it that gave me 22 months at 0% on new purchases and balance transfers.  Bought my AR-50 on it and paid it off in the 22 months.  I have bought all my higher priced guns that way.

Credit cards are not the debil if you use them correctly.

Edit....that was during the time they were talking about a 50 cal. ban.  Picked up several thousand primers, cases and a ton of pulled projectiles.  I still haven't shot all that stuff up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input everyone.  Definitely a case to be made for buy now enjoy now and avoid any regret later should the unforeseeable happen.  I too refuse to pay panic prices for anything.  Wish in retrospect I had actually sold off a few of my lesser used AR's during the last panic to some of the crazies, would've gone a long way towards this or other purchases.  

Saw a deal for an 82a1 for 7500 shipped and that seemed like a pretty good price, which got me thinking about making the move sooner rather than the planned later.  Seems everything is priced down right now, over supply, lack of current panic, pretty good buyers market right now for a lot of things, which I have no doubt will change as the 2016 race heats up, especially if old Hil keeps traction.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 3:14:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Take a look at the Serbu BFG 50A  before you spend the cash on a used Barrett. I have one of Mark's single shots and it is very accurate.  http://www.serbu.com/bfg50a.html
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:50:43 AM EDT
[#15]
I see Barrett 82A1's starting at $7500. Here is one:

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/semi4sale.cgi?read=268197

We are running a special this month on Barrett 82's. I can do the black 29" or the black 20" for $7400. Delivered to your FFL. You can add a Leupold MK 4 4.5-14x50 LRT with a mil dot reticle and Barrett rings for $900. We have many Barrett's in stock including the new Rec 7's, 107's, 98B's, and MRAD's.
We accept cash, money orders, certified checks and major credit cards with a 2.75% charge. These prices include shipping to your FFL in the lower 48.

Thanks for the boards Buddy!

Aaron @ RatWorx
815-734-7346
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 7:57:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kansas is on the east coast?
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

We are running a special this month on Barrett 82's. I can do the black 29" or the black 20" for $7400. Delivered to your FFL. You can add a Leupold MK 4 4.5-14x50 LRT with a mil dot reticle and Barrett rings for $900. We have many Barrett's in stock including the new Rec 7's, 107's, 98B's, and MRAD's.
We accept cash, money orders, certified checks and major credit cards with a 2.75% charge. These prices include shipping to your FFL in the lower 48.

Aaron @ RatWorx
815-734-7346
[email protected]
View Quote

I'm going to have to second this and highly recommend ratworx.   Awesome prices and they are great to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya, I was looking at new 82a1's for $7500, although not opposed to a used one in good shape for less. And pretty set on the semi auto, if for nothing else than the giggle factor. Specifically was looking at:
http://www.gunbuyer.com/p-29805-barrett-82a1-50bmg-semi-auto-29.aspx
Free shipping and no credit card fees, so would save some over the link provided, although don't know much about "gunbuyer.com", which might be a bit more of an unknown compaired to Ratworx and thus may be worth paying the CC fee.

And ya, although several of the local ranges don't allow 50bmg, in the wide open land of KS, I pretty much have no intention of shooting this at a "range".  :-)
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 1:35:46 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
first make sure theres a range in your area that will permit a 50bmg to be fired

View Quote

The only ranges I've talked to that don't allow them are indoor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#20]
50 bmg rounds are notoriously hard on berms

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I bought mine on a 0 interest credit card.  Had one that sent me checks when I opened it that gave me 22 months at 0% on new purchases and balance transfers.  Bought my AR-50 on it and paid it off in the 22 months.  I have bought all my higher priced guns that way.

Edit....that was during the time they were talking about a 50 cal. ban.  Picked up several thousand primers, cases and a ton of pulled projectiles.  I still haven't shot all that stuff up.
View Quote

Yup, did the same with purchases of 8 machine guns. Kept transferring the balances to the next 0% interest card until each one was paid off.  Worked like a charm!!!
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 6:00:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yup, did the same with purchases of 8 machine guns. Kept transferring the balances to the next 0% interest card until each one was paid off.  Worked like a charm!!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only difference is those machine guns will appreciate at 10%+ per year where 50 will only hold value/keep up with inflation.

I passed on a M107A1 and instead bought a M16, glad i did, it has already seen a significant increase in value. Plus there are way more place to shoot a MG than there are a 50cal BMG in my area.

With that being said a M107A1 is still on my bucket list of rifles to own. Maybe someday when i retire and all the debt is paid off ill have enough cash to pick one up.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#23]
As mentioned previously, buy with a 0% card. It worked great for me. Buy now.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A wise old friend once said to me, "If it gets to the point of having to bury guns, wouldn't that be the time you would want to dig them up?"
View Quote

He wasnt wise in guerrilla warfare......

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Damn you Aaron.  If you weren't in IL, I would have bought mine from you in a heartbeat if I didn't have to pay tax.  

Your prices are insane.

Quoted:

Aaron @ RatWorx
815-734-7346
[email protected]
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 5:51:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
As mentioned previously, buy with a 0% card. It worked great for me. Buy now.
View Quote

I also bought mine with a citibank 22 months 0% interest credit card.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top