Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2015 5:30:30 PM EDT
I know I need to call them to discuss what options are for me, but....

Is there any reason not to?
- I emailed them a few days back and he had a quick reply and they seem friendly.  Their rifles look really nice in wood.

Is the .50 dead or dying?
- I don't see many posts here and a Google search didn't really turn up much.  It seems for the last ten years every pretend badass, including myself, has been after a lapua.  Now the cheytac is picking up steam as well. I guess I could buy a lapua, but it seems if I am going to buy something I don't need i may as well go big.

I will probably just be plinking a bit, but want a decent rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong getting a rifle from Larry. Very good quality for the price.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 9:46:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Larry makes an excellent rifle - I have one and really like it (Like my AR-50 more).
Larry is a one-man shop so getting a quick answer to an e-mail sometimes has to wait for more pressing needs.
Any wait you have will be well worth it.

As for information, keep asking here. We will try to help all with legit questions.
If more detailed answers are required, I recommend you join the Fifty Caliber Shooters Association (FCSA).
And then joining the Members Forum which does require a paid membership to join the activities and to receive actual load data for the 50BMG cartridge.

Almost all have found that the membership costs have been recovered by amount of data received and cost savings thru approved vendors.
The choice is yours.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
As long as you can go shoot when you want, get the big boy toy. Awesome firepower and a blast to shoot. But if your limited to once or twice a year then you may want to rethink your options. Best to join as oldman has pointed out. Sold mine due to back surgery awhile and miss the big boom when I did shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I seriously considered a Lapua but when I compared prices for ammo..... well the 50 has the fun rounds API, APIT, AP, ETC. The 338 is just a standard bullet, it's cool to see a flash and hear a pop when the bullet hits from a 50.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've thought about the Lapua but after I got to shoot my first 50 BMG out of a Barrett I knew I was sold on it.  As for ammo if you get a 50 you will want to reload especially if you're in a position to be able to shoot when you want.  I live in the country and have my own property so I can shoot whenever I want to.  A lot of my rock busting is with API mainly because I was able to pick up several ammo cans full of API bullets.  they cost me .35 cents each and with reloading it really keeps the price down.  So much so that I don't mind anyone shooting my rifle and ammo.  The more people I get hooked on it the better.  I agree with Oldman that the FCSA is a great resource for information on the 50 and the guys there are great.  Of course here is also a good place with many folks ready to help whenever you ask.  Around here in Oklahoma there are quite a few 50 owners and I see no evidence of folks getting rid of their rifles.  I wish I could find someone ready to get rid of their AR-50 cheap but that is another story.

Take care
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent an email off to the local range I go to for a definitive yes or no on the BMG.  Else I could just drive into the desert and shoot.  The time to get to a shooting place is about 30 minutes either way but I like the range, it is nice and easy. It's a 1000 yard range.  I honestly shoot 6 times a year, that is how my work schedule allows.  I am trying to up it some though as home projects are winding down.

I have no reloading equipment, but it isn't a real big deal, I can acquire that as time goes on and make some room in my workshop for a press.  I see the kits are $300-$500 to get going maybe.

Up until now I usually shoot a nice .308 or .223 at the rifle range.  This rifle would obviously be bypassing a few steps going from a .308 to a .50.  Seems like most recommend some rifle in between.  

I have a light weight .300wm for hunting so a nice heavy .300 make sense as a next rifle, but it just isn't calling my name right now like the .50 is.

ETA: just got an email back.  No restrictions aside from shooting their targets (the existing and maintained steel and paper boards).  They said I to bring my own and verify the setup location before using it.  So it looks like I am in.

ETA2: I went to the fcsa.org site.  What a mess.  I assume if I buy a membership there is some forum I can access that is a bit more organized?
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 12:24:37 PM EDT
[#7]
ETA2:  The old website was dated and some members wanted an update. A new website person volunteered for the position and the site you see now is the result = I hope like hell it is changed back or further improved to make navigation easier.
Adding pictures in a manner that resulted in pics shown at correct range location was an improvement, but was limited by the website software. I provided most of the pictures for Alliance Nebraska and some pictures for the different World competitions.
A membership is required for entering the Member Only area - membership info is mailed to you allowing for login and password. Then you register yet again for the Members Only Forum, creating your own login, password, and username.

My username is Oldman.

Sometimes due to different opinions and beliefs, we can get into pissing matches which can get interesting. In the end we all get along and learn new things. The Moderators very seldom cause problems - though I have been known to piss off a couple, resulting in a vacation from the Forum. Note that I really pissed one off to earn a vacation. We have since patched things up and are contributing again.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 1:19:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I have some development abilities if it helps at all for that website.  

Going to call this afternoon and put a down payment on something.  

The shorty with a 30" bull barrel and a wood stock is what stands out to me, but I don't know if I will regret not getting the adjustable aluminum and 36" barrel.
Link Posted: 10/12/2015 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#9]
My State Arms Shorty was purchased used and came with the optional 30" SS bull barrel in the Aluminum stock complete with bipod, monopod, and carry handle, which made for an easy to set up "tacticool" rifle.

Buy both stocks - it will be worth it in the long run.

I also have a Manners carbon fiber stock for it for bench rest purposes.

Have FUN, be SAFE.

TRIGGER TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I just called him and placed and order.  Totally switched it up.  Rebel with an aluminum stock.  Pretty much the base gun + the monopod.  Nice guy.

I'm still partial to the wood stock, but there is always time for another one day or even buy a barreled action from him and try my hand at making one.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:40:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Good job !!!!

Now you need to go to Raton, NM to observe a FCSA 50BMG 1000 yard match and learn more than you ever thought possible.
Take your camera and a notebook.
Pre-write questions you need answered.

Talk to Randy Powell - nice guy, two kids that also shoot - Find him -talk to him.
He is usually the Match Director.
Randy also owns an ammunition company and can supply you ammo at a very reasonable cost for match quality ammo.

Have FUN, be SAFE, TRIGGER TIME.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just called him and placed and order.  Totally switched it up.  Rebel with an aluminum stock.  Pretty much the base gun + the monopod.  Nice guy.

I'm still partial to the wood stock, but there is always time for another one day or even buy a barreled action from him and try my hand at making one.

http://www.statearms.com/rifles/images/details_rebelTactile2-full.png
View Quote

I'm not a fan of shell holder rifles but that is pretty nice.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet rifle. How much?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 9:59:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I just assumed it was a bit cheaper to not have to build a full bolt and receiver.  I figured the lockup was just as good as the other style with some lugs.  

Why is there a safety question?
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#17]
There are no safety concerns with the State Arms action which don't apply to all other rifles, namely a "hangfire".
If the action of any rifle is opened too fast and the cartridge hen goes off, its a OOBD which can seriously hurt you.
On any rifle, if you get a hangfire, wait 60 seconds before re-cocking and attempting to fire again, then wait 60 seconds again.
Now the important part.
After a hangfire and wait time, stand up on side opposite bolt opening.
Carefully reach over with left hand for a right bolt as that positions the bolt handle such that if the cartridge would fire - the bolt position between thumb and hand is open to rear thus preventing thumb from being sheared off. By standing, your face and body are not behind the rifle.

My trigger has been modified for a 1.25 pound trigger pull - non-standard pull weight. Trigger has no safety - closed the bolt when you want to fire rifle.
The State Arms action is STRONG !!!
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:45:38 PM EDT
[#18]
A very good read:

http://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/4/5/50-bmg-the-ultimate-big-bore/

Copy to your browser.

or

Somebody please fix for me.
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#21]
That's the exact model I would purchase if buying a State Arms.
I wish they'd upgrade them to non-shell holder, something psychologically dissuades me..
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#23]
Black Friday is coming up.  I was thinking a SWFA 5-20HD or 3-15.  Their site says they hold up to 50 cal.  How much power to buy?.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 12:35:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I'd prefer the higher mag, but it's all personal bias;  it certainly has enough travel
Burris XTR II has caught my eye...might be a good one to compare against
Link Posted: 11/7/2015 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It's not like you shoot a BMG fast anyway
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's the exact model I would purchase if buying a State Arms.
I wish they'd upgrade them to non-shell holder, something psychologically dissuades me..
It's not like you shoot a BMG fast anyway

Not necessarily....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0sdVMKQReM

Link Posted: 1/29/2016 7:19:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Waiting waiting waiting

Probably a good thing since I blew my allowance savings Black Friday and need to get the money together again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:08:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Sent the rest of the payment in. Shouldn't be long now.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 6:43:36 AM EDT
[#28]
As for speed, with my State Arms I can put 5 aimed at 1000 yards shots down range under 2 minutes with major holdup being target puller taking his time marking the hit. I'm ready to shoot as soon as target is back up.

I'm a little faster with my AR-50. I catch my brass before it falls to prevent neck damage to my match-prepped cases. which slows me down a bit.
All of my shots are carefully aimed, and I do use a Ransom machine rest for my AR-50 at 1000 yards and beyond.

O.P. = great choice of rifle - give us a follow-up report after shooting it a bit, please.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Well I picked it up today.  It's really large. .  Fit and finish seems great.

The rings I have don't seem to fit the base so i need to get some others.

Hopefully I can get out on Friday and shoot it.

Here it is next to my .308

Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:13:06 AM EDT
[#30]
That looks great. what was the total cost if you don't mind me asking? Can't wait for a range report.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That looks great. what was the total cost if you don't mind me asking? Can't wait for a range report.
View Quote

Looks awesome and +1 on knowing the price range.
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's no real secret.  The prices are pretty straight with the website.  I got the rebel with the rear monopod.  Both of those plus shipping put me right at $2700 I think.  The bipod it comes with is crazy nice IMO.  It's probably $500+ less than the armalite all said and done (similarly equipped).  

Link

After looking it over I have zero regrets.   I ordered a Lee .50bmg reloading kit yesterday and some weaver style rings.  I would have shot it already, but my rings are all picatinny and don't fit the rail.  I should have been smart enough to order the right set ahead of time.

I'll do a range report next Friday probably.  I am not a MOA all day member so don't expect to learn about accuracy from my report.
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Been a few years since I have been on this site, retired now due to medical issues and have way more time now to shoot and check out these sites.

You can not go wrong with one of Larry's  rifles they are put together with precision and they look awesome. Larry stands behind his products and takes care of his customers. I have a few rifles built by Klause and a few built by Larry. I won a lot more matches with Larry's  rifles and set a World Record with the first one he built for me. Larry really takes pride in his work and rifles and every one I shot would shoot sub MOA at 1000 yard matches and win against custom built rifles that cost almost twice as much.

First 1000 yard match I shot in at Raton back in 1999 I had several other shooters on sight in day check out my State Arms rifle and shooting off sand bags. There were several of them that said I would have lots of fun and not be able to get the smile off my face BUT they said I would not be able to compete against the BIG boys if I was shooting a State Arms rifle.
So I shot in Unlimited Class and Heavy Class. I got second place in Heavy class and got beat by Lynn McMurdo just barely. I won first place in Unlimited Class also and Smallest group of the match. Then I got into 1000 yard matches as often as I could afford to for years and years till the kids started College, now there all done and I can get back to shooting, that College stuff is costly.

statearms.com
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:33:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Looking forward to seeing you again this year at Alliance Nebraska FCSA 1000 yard matches.

My medical issues have deteriorated to point that I shoot terribly, but I still enjoy shooting FCSA matches because the people are so great.

**************************************************************************************************

Doug = Oldman = OldmanFCSA
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#35]
O.P.,

Nice rifle, but look into replacing the SA Muzzle brake with an Armalite AR-50 Muzzle brake - will result in about 30% less felt recoil, and can be completed without any loss of barrel length.

Just my opinion as I replaced mine with the AR-50 brake and noticed the high reduction of felt recoil.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:03:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
As for speed, with my State Arms I can put 5 aimed at 1000 yards shots down range under 2 minutes with major holdup being target puller taking his time marking the hit. I'm ready to shoot as soon as target is back up.

I'm a little faster with my AR-50. I catch my brass before it falls to prevent neck damage to my match-prepped cases. which slows me down a bit.
All of my shots are carefully aimed, and I do use a Ransom machine rest for my AR-50 at 1000 yards and beyond.

O.P. = great choice of rifle - give us a follow-up report after shooting it a bit, please.
View Quote

Excuse me "SIR" but your Target Puller is Plenty Quick.... If you would quit throwing dirt on him by hitting the berm in front of the pits, your PULLER wouldn't be busy trying to get the dirt off  of himself

As for the State Arms, Oldman's SA is now Mine. He has made major modifications  for me, such as a Feddersen 36" Barrel, with a custom chamber. He also adapted it for an AR Tank Brake, which to me, changed the felt recoil to a much better feel. I do have back issues and the Fish Gill Brake that was originally on the SA, just wasn't efficient enough for me.

The State Arms I have is a "Shorty" Action and is now bedded into the Manners Carbon Fiber Stock, for Benchrest Shooting. I am currently painting the stock and once I get it completed and back together, I'll post a picture. I still have the Aluminum Chassis that originally came with the rifle and will use it on occasion, when I'm not wanting to drag all of the benchrest equipment to the range.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top