Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/30/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
I'm planning on purchasing a SHF magazine feed upper in 22" for 0-300 yard shooting in Central Illinois.   I've got a virgin lower I grabbed from my dealer who threw a fixed stock on and transferred it as a rifle and he put "12.7×99mm" in Section 30. B.  I figured this might hedge my bet if .50BMGs have to get registered or are banned by name.  Might sound a little paranoid, but the pearl-clutching Feinstein crowd has banned guns just by their name.  Probably not going to help any if there is a ban, but I engraved it for free on my FADAL using MasterCam with TrueType font.  MasterCam is THE SHIT when it comes to writing code.  Expensive, but it's the best way to do 3-D IMHO.  

Anywho...

It's going to be a good time before I actually have the cash to purchase the upper and the rest of the parts for the lower.  I'm really looking to replicate a build I saw of a SHF Upper with an 18" (IIRC) and fixed A2 stock that the owner was trying to build within the physical envelop of a 20" AR15.  This gun is absolutely just going to be a fun gun.  We have a bunch of burn outs from huge rings the boss gave me that I've saved to shoot.  There aren't a bunch of 300+ yard ranges in Illinois, but I'm not a long-range guy anyway.  This is going to be a fun gun and a conversation piece with other shooters.  I revel in the joy of sharing your gun with other shooters at the range who are interested in what you're shooting.  I've gotten to benefit from this situation (thank you officer, that is a nice carbine )  and love to have them smile after enjoying a firearm they've only seen, maybe handled, but never shot.  I don't have any crazy collectors items, but it's always fun talking to a like-minded shooter. It's the best when it's a new or younger shooter that hasn't had the exposure yet.  We have so many people that disparage our hobby that its important to me to have fun guns to entice people into the hobby.  And to me and my friends, putting holes in steel is fun.  

So, I wanted to start stocking up on different brands of factory ammo and also components, as my paycheck permits.  I have heard good things about IWI produced .50BMG, and see American Eagle on dale a PSA from time to time.  I think it would be a good idea to buy similar dollar amounts of loaded ammo, and cases and projectiles.  .50BMG is going to be the only additional caliber I own (ETA: In addition to .22lr, 9mm, 5.56, 7.62.51, and 12 gauge), so I want to make sure I have as much ammo as I can afford; it's only going up in price.  The only thing that is a negative is I really don't have a safe place to shoot tracers or incendiary ammo.  AP and Ball seems to be more expensive, is it due to the reduced demand due to the fire hazard on some ranges?  

To recap, what brands of .50BMG factory ammo should I be stocking up on?  Also, cases and projectiles are just important to me to stockpile.  Do you guys have a favorite vendor for components?  There was a vet-owned website that specialized in military ammo that I can't google-fu out.  They had the 20 gauge (14.5mm)  projectiles  guys on Grogs's 40mm board were shooting out of their 40mm DDs with a rifled adapter made from a 20 gauge shotgun barrel.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#2]
If you plan on going the Safety Harbor route, then stay away from Federal American Eagle as SH recommends that that ammo is hostile to their rifles and uppers.  Some guys have had good luck with SH 50's and others have not.  Do your homework.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:59:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Lucky Gunner also has the AE M33. Even though their shipping cost is slightly higher, it is still cheaper since the item price is lower.

http://www.luckygunner.com/50-cal-bmg-660-gr-fmj-xm33c-federal-american-eagle-100-rounds
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#4]
....as for components, I have been very happy with some deals I've found on GB. I got all my brass and all of my projos on GB.  You have to check it every day because the good deals get snatched up quickly.  For example, there is a seller that runs a deal on API every so often for 1000 @ $200.  With the $30 shipping charge, that's only .23 per bullet to your door.  Not bad at all.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I would wait until the rifle is completed before buying ammo. Would suck if for what ever reason you cannot afford to buy one. Just keep researching the ammo for best prices. I had good results from survivalops but a bit slow shipping. I reload now so don't know current prices. Stay away from american eagle. A bit to hot. I would verify your range allows 50BMG. Most don't. Good luck.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#6]
If using a magazine, length of projectile must be limited to 5.45" in length.

If interested in making a drive to St.Paul area, I have several hundred loaded rounds from Talon Manufacturing. Cost will be $2.50 per round, ammo can is free with minimum purchase of 100 rounds. Bring your rifle and test fire several rounds of different manufacture.

I reload everything I shoot.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:47:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would wait until the rifle is completed before buying ammo. Would suck if for what ever reason you cannot afford to buy one. Just keep researching the ammo for best prices. I had good results from survivalops but a bit slow shipping. I reload now so don't know current prices. Stay away from american eagle. A bit to hot. I would verify your range allows 50BMG. Most don't. Good luck.
View Quote

Negative.  Ammo and accessories in hand necessitates the wife begrudgingly accepting it's going to be in the budget.  Good looking out though.  

Didn't think American Eagle would  be hot.

As far as the range access, I'm happy plinking a .50BMG at 300 yards.  Is that ridiculously short for a .50BMG range?  Absolutely.  Pride in ownership though.  And I hate used appliances.  They all must be shot.

Thanks for the links guys, it seems like its the best bet would be to buy a can at a time.  Worst case scenario is I tear it down for components or sell it down the road.  

Is there any surplus to absolutely avoid?  I'm going to be joining the 50 cal association as well
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 3:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you plan on going the Safety Harbor route, then stay away from Federal American Eagle as SH recommends that that ammo is hostile to their rifles and uppers.  Some guys have had good luck with SH 50's and others have not.  Do your homework.
View Quote

Thats crazy taht they wouldnt design there gun to use the most available and cheapest factory ammo. Thats weird to me
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Nothing stopping you to try it. SH heard from allot of owners of stuck brass and advised not to shoot the ammo. Have never shot american eagle and not willing to try. Don't feel like pounding out brass.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 6:25:08 PM EDT
[#10]
50 bmg for 300 yards?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:52:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thats crazy taht they wouldnt design there gun to use the most available and cheapest factory ammo. Thats weird to me
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 9:11:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Nothing stopping you to try it. SH heard from allot of owners of stuck brass and advised not to shoot the ammo. Have never shot american eagle and not willing to try. Don't feel like pounding out brass.
View Quote

I've had light factory reloads get semi stuck. Nothing that needed a hammer. Brand new AE has never caused problems though. That's in a Barrett 99.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:08:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
50 bmg for 300 yards?
View Quote

Yup.  Like I said, Illinois sucks for long range.  That doesn't preclude me from owning one and having fun with it.  Nor does it preclude me from taking it out west, occasionally.  We don't have easy access to 300+ yard ranges that are .50BMG friendly.   Most sport bike owners never suit up with full leather and take their bikes to the track.

It's a fun gun for me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup.  Like I said, Illinois sucks for long range.  That doesn't preclude me from owning one and having fun with it.  Nor does it preclude me from taking it out west, occasionally.  We don't have easy access to 300+ yard ranges that are .50BMG friendly.   Most sport bike owners never suit up with full leather and take their bikes to the track.

It's a fun gun for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
50 bmg for 300 yards?

It's a fun gun for me.

Spot on.  And a fun gun it is sir...at any range.  I took a buddy out shooting last weekend and it was his first time to shoot a 50.  The grins were endless.  I love seeing people's reactions when they shoot one for the first time.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Spot on.  And a fun gun it is sir...at any range.  I took a buddy out shooting last weekend and it was his first time to shoot a 50.  The grins were endless.  I love seeing people's reactions when they shoot one for the first time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
50 bmg for 300 yards?

It's a fun gun for me.

Did you give him the brass from his 1st round fired? It is so fun to watch folks shoot mine. Like you said, endless grins. Just wish I could shoot more often but hard to find places to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Did you give him the brass from his 1st round fired? It is so fun to watch folks shoot mine. Like you said, endless grins. Just wish I could shoot more often but hard to find places to shoot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
50 bmg for 300 yards?

It's a fun gun for me.

Yep, sure did.  He asked "Can I have this as a souvenir?"  Of course you can!  Now fire another round!  He loved it.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Anyone recommend x-products API rounds or have an alternative? Thanks
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 1:57:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Federal XM33C .50 BMG 660gr FMJ 10rds  $19.99

http://palmettostatearmory.com/catalog/product/view/id/71/
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 10:02:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Is it the federal ammo problem or the upper problem?
Link Posted: 10/14/2015 3:10:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 11:37:26 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't understand the logic of buying a .50 BMG that wont shoot milspec ammo.
What else wont it shoot ?

Its like buying a damascus barreled shotgun.

PS; stock up on that Federal (lake city). If the pols decide to ban .50 ammo the they are going to start with the Military supplier; Lake city.
Which would make it a sweet investment too boot.
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 7:59:54 PM EDT
[#23]
If someone was to dump say $2K on me. And told me I had to use it to buy 50 BMG ammo for SHTF Then I would say buy ball, AP, and API but no tracer. But if it is ammo that your going to shot, stay away from the API, ball or tracer. Unless you have a place that will not catch on fire or a range that allows ball. My range will not allow ball cause of the mild steel within.

Listen to these guys about dangerous ammo. Ammo that the powder has gone bad is like a stick of dynamite. I shot two of 5 rounds that the powder was on the edge (long story) and it kicked like a mule. I thanked the Lord for watching out for me and buried the last 3 round out in the woods.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Tracer rounds have place for shtf. Nothing like being able to set fires  3/4 mile away.
I have a few hundred rounds of ball and find it is by far the softest bullet for the 50. I shot a 4x4 1/4 inch plate that I shot at 50 yards leaning against a  wire  sign stand. The round marly made a dent in it but sent mt plate flying down range about 50 yards. I can see ap api and tracers ground on for ranges that have steel plates but not the ball.

I only have a 100 yard public range close to me. It has a large dirt burm at the end. The other day I shot a tracer into it. I could see smoke and fire coming out of the bullet hole for several seconds. Nothing in the dirt to burn just the tracer compound. So do be careful with the tracers.

For the api rounds I have not had one go off because all the ranges I shoot at have soft backstops and not hard enough to set them off.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:19:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Buying 50 BMG ammo is risky IMHO. Not sure what was used except what they say. Thats why I reloaded so I knew. If you have the bucks, load up on AP. Always fun shooting holes in steel plates. Shot a ball round at a steel plate @100 yards, vaporized in all directions and a nice dent in the plate. Would have liked to shoot tracer or API but shooting in the woods would not work due to fire hazard.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:48:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Didnt think about setting a fire about a mile away. Was thinking more of the bad guy using it to figure out where your at. Thanks for showing me why one would want to have a small stash of them.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 3:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]
I have Ball, AP, Tracer, API, and Incendiary rounds available for my 50.

Proper use of this ammo requires proper back stop and conditions to prevent a wildfire condition.

Tracer, API, and Incendiary work great on 20 pound propane tanks, but Ball works great also if a candle or truck flare is also used. I only do these in the Winter in a large snow covered pasture, with tanks provided by the Sheriff Department. (A possible BANG will take windows out 1/3 mile away - don't ask how I know.)
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 9:37:33 AM EDT
[#28]
You got to let me know when you are going to do that again. I have to see that! Where in Wisconsin ?
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 1:29:38 PM EDT
[#29]
http://hi-techammo.com is my goto, generally I check them about 3 times a month, and buy when the price is right. Lots of specialty military pulldown comes across their site.

Also- if you've not bookmarked gunbot as a favorite, well....you're kinda wrong!

http://www.gunbot.net
http://www.gunbot.net/reloading/bullets/50bmg/
Link Posted: 10/23/2015 11:52:53 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm sticking with LC and IMI right now. Thanks for the insight guys. The SHF upper is off the table too. I'm about having fewer quality firearms than a bunch of picky feeding pieces. Not getting straight answers from SHF about the ammo issues sealed the deal for me. If your upper can't safely chamber and fire the .50 BMG Wally World sells, well...bye.

ETA:  Components are another story.  I'm glad to have found solid factory ammo. LC seems to always be the safe bet.There's a lot to gain financially long term, reloading, but a lot to learn as someone who has reloaded his own. Holy case capacity!
Link Posted: 10/24/2015 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top