Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 8:46:42 AM EDT
Who has experience with the Taclite or Safety Harbor uppers?  Is there any reason to stay away from one of the other? Looking at these from the perspective of a casual shooter for fun. The Safety harbor is roughly $500 less so I'm wondering is there is a noticeable difference in quality from those who have handled them
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:05:35 AM EDT
[#1]
In for info.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 1:48:40 PM EDT
[#2]
I have no problems with my safety harbors. There is a post on here about someone getting a zel and it came with the wrong size brake (to small) and blew apart. Guy got lucky he didn't die from it. Piss poor QC on there part. Some folks blew it off saying no big deal but in my book, they fucked up big time and lucky the guy didn't die. If your looking for precision, would look elsewhere but cost more too. For a fun plinker thats inexpensive, safety harbors is alright. Scan the the pic section and you will see my setup.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:38:30 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple Safety Harbor repeaters and really like them. Before I bought my SH I looked at samples of the Zel Tactilite. I was impressed with the features and what I would say was a step up in fit and finish on the Zel Tactilite T1 and T2. If you really study the Zel build features you will see the additional $500 vs the Safety Harbor. The CeraKote finish, one piece fully milled receiver with integrated rail, fluted barrel, nicer machined barrel shroud. These 4 things alone account for the added cost. They are more customizable from the factory so you can setup one just like you want.

That all said I am more than satisfied with my Safety Harbors for the money. They are a bit crude in appearance but very basic and functional. These are no frills 50 cals, meant to be cost effective and give good value for the money. You can certainly build one up for less than 2K for the single shot and about $2200-2500 for a mag fed depending on your parts selection, lower receiver, stock, bipod etc. I'm not sure of the Zel's accuracy but my Safety Harbor won't win any accuracy contest. The accuracy is more than acceptable for my purposes and in all fairness I have the shorter 18" and 22" inch barrels. Two-ish inches at 100 yds and can hit a torso target at 450 yds pretty reliably. My SH SHTF repeaters are the cheapest thing going for a mag fed 50. Both of these guns are very lightweight and a blast to shoot shoulder firing from the standing position.

Both have suffered from mishaps but it is a extremely rare occurrence. Anytime you pull the trigger on a gun there are possible consequences if something malfunctions. With a 50 those consequences are magnified. They both have a pretty good safety record and I believe both to be solid and safe guns. I have many hundreds of rounds through mine. I have a rigorous safety ritual that I perform before and during shooting. Safety first with a 50 BMG and you will live to shoot another day.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 7:36:04 AM EDT
[#4]
When I was first in the market for a 50, I was on a budget so I looked very closely at the Safety Harbor R50.  Researching the company and their products, I could find only one unhappy lad that experienced a kaboom with one of their products. Most everyone seemed to be happy with SH but still I wasn't sure due to the low cost. I didn't know anyone that had a SH so I made a trip to Safety Harbor, Florida to see one in person.  Walter and his wife were gracious enough to take some time to show me a few of their rifles that were just ready for delivery.  The quality looked acceptable, especially the welds, so I was okay with ordering a build.  Seventeen weeks later, the rifle arrives.  On the first shot, the case would not extract. The same for the next five and then one extracted without force.  I tried AE, PMC and hand loads with varying charges but the cases were still very stuck in the chamber.  The only way they would extract without a beating was by putting a light coat of oil on them. The cases had short scratches all over them....I got a bad chamber.  The rifle could not have been test fired and, if it was, it was sent out of the SH facility with the owner knowing it was defective. That's right...just send the bad one to the guy 1,100 miles away right...maybe he won't be back to return it.  I called SH about the problem and asked if the rifle was tested and I was told that it was test fired.  I asked how could it have extracted the cases then?  I was told that some oil must have been in the chamber at the time of test firing.  What total BS.  So back the rifle goes.  Four weeks later it shows back up with a polished chamber that now extracted every other case but still stuck about half of the cases with several different types of factory ammo and hand loads. So back the rifle went again...for good this time.

I'm not bashing Safety Harbor.  This is a factual account of my experience with them.  I only wish I had bought my AR-50 before the SH R50.  That would have saved me a boatload of hassle.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I must have a lucky one. Have never had a stuck case yet (knock on wood). Shot survivalops and other brands plus my own reloads. Have read to stay away from american eagle due to a bit hot. Have kept my reloads low until I get my chrono, which comes in soon. Then I will be able ratchet it up a bit to maximize its potential. I have no regrets investion in safety harbors 50BMG. Its a solid, no frills rifle that will shoot like any other 50BMG. Now if I were to win the lottery, then I would consider buying a barrett in a semi auto configuration.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:06:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Both the SH & Zel use Mossberg Mexico barrels. That barrel while good quality will sometimes have a tight chamber and cause extraction problems. This will show up very early and you'll know if yours is tight right away. On one of mine it never had an issue. I bought it used with hundreds of rounds through it so the chamber was smoothed down. My new one did have what I would term a mild extraction problem. It would stick about every other round and I would have to tap it out with a 7/16ths wooden dowel. This isn't as drastic as it sounds. Lift bolt handle to unlock the lugs, drop dowel down barrel and give it a light tap with a rubber mallet. The brass should pop out. I called Safety Harbor and discussed the issue with them. First thing they asked me was I using American Eagle ammo. I said yes and they said stop using it that their guns didn't like it. They also offered to ream the chamber if I sent the upper back. I declined and decided to do so myself if changing ammo didn't help. After I changed ammo the problem got allot better. I lightly buffed the chamber and now it hardly ever sticks a brass.

Extraction problems are part and parcel with 50 cals. Part of the kit for precision competition shooters is an extraction stick and a rubber mallet. All 50s have potential to stick brass because of chamber configuration, ammo selection and the shear pressures you are dealing with. 50s can be ammo sensitive. If you reload, you had better know what your doing which is why I don't reload for my 50. Most extraction problems I have heard of involved custom hand loads. There are several chamber profiles available and some are more prone to sticking brass than others and being ammo specific. I shoot mostly reloads from reputable companies with much experience making 50 ammo and nothing exotic. I have talked to them both about extraction problems and they where both well aware of the issue and said it was common. They both purposely light load their ammo to keep the pressure down and save themselves grief from people complaining about stuck brass.

If you order either a Zel or SH with the Mossberg barrel I would discuss with them your concerns and let them know you want your rifle tested and checked for tight chamber before shipping. Speak to them about ammo selection, what to use, what not to use. Expect any commercial available 50 you end up with to potentially have a stuck brass once in awhile. If you plan on doing your own .50cal reloading then really get smart about the specifics before you give it a try and use it in your gun. If your buying new and decide to go with Zel then you have the added option of upgrading/selecting a different barrel which may not be as tight as the Mossberg barrels.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I beg to differ.  My SH chamber was not "tight" as I had no trouble at all closing the bolt with factory ammo or hand loads cut to 3.90. The chamber was rough and probably too big.  That may have allowed for fire forming to the chamber resulting in a stuck case.  The builder can yell all day about no SAAMI  specs for 50's but it's still his responsibility for QC and test firing before delivery.  I'll bet Barrett, Armalite and Serbu make sure their rifles are properly operational before they leave their facilities.  Knowing what I know now, I would never buy a 50 from a discount mom and pop operation.  Stuck cases, kabooms, incorrect muzzle brakes, and who knows what else, awaits the 50 BMG shopper looking for a bargain.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:56:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Your experience isn't everyone's experience. SH and I imagine Zel sell allot of 50 rifles and uppers. I would venture to guess they sell as many as Barrett civilian sales. If they where so bad quality neither would be able to stay in business. You can get a bum chamber on any rifle. I had a 300 win mag Remington that stuck brass all the time. More recently a $1100 H&K 9mm that had a tight chamber and extraction problem necessitating 2 return trips to H&K. My cousin's new fancy 50 target rifle sticks brass on a regular basis. We have 3 Safety Harbors in our group and all have been very good as far as durability and functioning. The chamber on my new rifle was definitely on the tight side. You had to muscle the bolt a bit to close and open it. The Federal American ammo was shooting a tad hot, maybe thin brass, not exactly sure what the issue was but once I stopped using that ammo the problem was much better. I bought a chamber hone and buffed polished the chamber and now it is fine. The Mossberg barrels are on a ton of 50 cals. and I haven't heard to much negative about them. The Zel can be bought with a Criterion or a Lija USA made barrel if a person thinks the Mossberg barrel is dodgy.

For $1450 bucks and a 3 or 4 hundred in AR parts a person can have a 50. Then there is good quality scope that can take the pounding a 50 dishes out, heavy rings, Bipod, case and before you know it you'll be over $3K. If you start with a  $3500 gun + spend on the accessories you'll have $5 grand into it before your wife lowers the boom or you run out of money. The OP asked about experiences with the SH & Zel. Mine has been very acceptable for these type conversion 50's. It sounds like yours not so much. Yes there are better guns out there if your willing to cough up the money. For the money, those looking for an entry level could do allot worst than Zel or SH. If the OP had $3500 to spend I would probably tell him to look at a Barrett 99 or Serbu.

As far as the AR 50. Many say that is an entry level 50 BMG and it may well be. I considered one for awhile but once I actually saw one in real life I realized it would never work for my needs. That thing is huge, heavy and moving it around, storing it would be more than I'd want to deal with. Also by the time I priced one out it was approaching the price of a Barrett 99 so why would I want the AR when I could get a Barrett? I like the portability and low price of the Safety Harbors. I also like that you can order the upper as a part and have it shipped directly to you. I have never felt the SH's are unsafe. There was an issue with firing pins that would mushroom and potentially become stuck. I check mine before and during a shooting session to make sure it is moving in the channel and the return springs retracts it. The FP in my friends SH did mushroom slightly but never stopped working. I think he called SH and they sent him a replacement for free. Haven't had much dealings with SH customer service but so far it has been good.

Zel Tactilite in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ate5Jxfw0cQ&spfreload=10
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 10:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I went through this same choice.

I ended up going with a Zel "Spartan"

Number 1 reason:   Milled receiver.

That's a personal preference though and in no way implies anything about the Safety Harbor (Second choice).  I just like the idea of a huge hunk of metal as the receiver.  

I went with a 24" to keep it in the "in between" heavy-30's and short-18's.   Seems about perfect.  

I've fired it offhand (doesn't have heavy rails) and actually not bad.  It is BIG, but manageable.  

Some issues with extraction, but from my Mosin Nagant days, I don't really mind at all.   Anyone that shoots a lot of surplus in M91/30's or M44's knows the sticky case issue.  

It's no Barrett or Windrunner, but it fit the budget, and I was able to throw together a lower with an old A2 stock (Limbsaver 1" is a necessity) and old lower.  

I went with the standard brake, and did not want a heavy "tank style".  The regular brake does it's job.

I hadn't worked with Safety Harbor but Zel was very nice with their emails.   The instructions were clear cut and overall, I like the design.  

It really comes down to personal preference.  I ended up with the Spartan, and love the heavy duty milled upper.   So far has handled American Eagle and Surplus 50bmg without an issue, out of the box (Make sure you clean it and break in the barrel correctly)

These things are so much fucking fun
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
These things are so much fucking fun
View Quote

Yes they are. Love the big blast. For those who own a zel and do reload, have you measured to the lands? Just curious as my SH seems deep, provided I measured correctly. Going to bring it to a guy who shoots competition with the 50 for him to verify. But mine seem to be well over 6.000 OAL.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top