Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/27/2015 10:47:56 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Just got home from the range, and noticed my bolt face on my M107A1 has some etching on it.  Wondering what it might be.  I'm using LC cases with 647 grain projectiles over 218 grains of WC 860.  CCI primers I just got from Midsouth.  What  do you guys think it might be?

Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well judging by the ring size and the colors on the bolt face I'd say you had some gas come between the primer and primer pocket.

Look at the cases that you fired. You should be able to spot the one that leaked.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well judging by the ring size and the colors on the bolt face I'd say you had some gas come between the primer and primer pocket.
View Quote

You think the rounds are overpressured?  I have a magnetospeed, but don't have a chronograph to measure this thing due to the brake.  

My reloads seem to have FAR less pressure than XM33 I fire out of it.  

Is it still usuable?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Still very usable. Probably just a loose primer pocket. Inspect all of the cases that you fired. You should be able to spot the problem case.

I have a m14 bolt that has a little etching but is still fine.

Did you prep the primer pockets?
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the same load, powder and bullet in my safety harbor 50 bmg bolt action. I consider it a light load and not see etching like yours. Maybe send that pic to barrett for there opinion.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Had a primer pop in my ar50 do a little more pitting than that. Ugly but fine
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the replies, guys!  

I prepped all the casings with the Brownells pocket uniformer and used removed the primer crimp with a reamer.  You guys think they could be over-reamed?  

I'll post a pick of the fired and un-fired rounds in the morning.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Fired

Loaded
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:46:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
At some point a primer had gas blow by and etched the bolt face. Could have been as early as the very first proof round.
It won't hurt anything unless you see any black gas cutting in the future.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top