Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/19/2015 1:58:43 PM EDT
A while back I sold my 50 to go towards part of my wife's engagement ring. She just gave me the green light to replace it. The only 50 I've owned or shot was the Bohica I sold.  I want something a little more refined this time and will just use it for fun shooting, not competitions.
I'm looking at the AR-50 or State Arms mostly but the Barrett M99 is close in price. Any one care to help direct me with their personal experience?
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 2:21:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both the AR-50 and the State Arms.
Both work great for "rock busting" or competitions.
AR-50 is like a bolt-action single shot rifle.
State Arms is a "shell-holder" type action which requires removal of bolt to shoot again.
Both styles work great = no hindrances.
State Arms is shorter due to 6" shorter action.
State Arms makes a Tactical Stock with Bipod & Monopod.
AR-50 muzzle brake is a better design & more effective (one on my State Arms now).
Both are strong and accurate.

Hope this helps - I did not comment on Barrett for good reason.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 3:02:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Everything I hear about the Barrett seems to be about horrible accuracy for the M99.
I'm leaning towards the AR-50 but the State Arms seems like a good deal for the money
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:25:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 10:15:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. Everything I hear about the Barrett seems to be about horrible accuracy for the M99.
I'm leaning towards the AR-50 but the State Arms seems like a good deal for the money
View Quote

Not sure where you're hearing about "horrible" accuracy for the M99. It's right up there with the AR50 for accuracy according to most shooters.  I have an M99, so I may be a bit biased, but I love the thing.  Far more accurate than I am, mild recoil (relatively speaking), compact size (relatively speaking), light weight (relatively speaking), and affordable (relatively speaking).
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:28:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I was aiming at the middle of this target from a little over 100 yards away. Those 3 shots right next to each other are all API rounds. That's out a 32 inch 99 and I'm not even close to being a real accurate shooter.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 11:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I love the flash and smoke from api. :)
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 2:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:09:52 AM EDT
[#8]
From what I've read, M99 would be the least accurate of the 3, & is why I've strayed away from one.  Last 50 I've owned was a Steyr, & I have a Serbu with Nitride barrel inbound.
But maybe the above proves it's hearsay?
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:42:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From what I've read, M99 would be the least accurate of the 3, & is why I've strayed away from one.  Last 50 I've owned was a Steyr, & I have a Serbu with Nitride barrel inbound.
View Quote

I also have a Serbu with a nitrided barrel on the way.  So much for the 6 weeks I was originally quoted.  It is a shame that Mark had to blow up his staff, but I am more than willing to wait as long as needed for the great price we got.  As to the OP's question, I researched quite a bit before ending up in a group buy for the Serbu.  I was also down to the AR50 and SA rifles.  I was headed towards the AR50 due to some aftermarket support (triggers mostly), but heard nothing but great things about either.  I do like the aluminum stock that SA offers though.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It is a shame that Mark had to blow up his staff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

???
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

No specific knowledge, just what has been posted in another Serbu thread.  I know that I sent an email to see when my rifle would be ready and when I could pay the balance and didn't receive a reply for several weeks. Well worth the wait for me though as Mark seems like a good dud with a good product.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No specific knowledge, just what has been posted in another Serbu thread.  I know that I sent an email to see when my rifle would be ready and when I could pay the balance and didn't receive a reply for several weeks. Well worth the wait for me though as Mark seems like a good dud with a good product.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

???

I have the same rifle on the way..... sometime.... my nightforce scope and badger rings look pretty funny just sitting in the safe not being used.

I talked to the receptionist and she told me that Mark fired most of his staff. So I heard this directly from Serbu firearms myself. I paid in full at the beginning of the group buy. Now I kinda wish I had made payments and waited a little while before buying a reloading set-up. Oh well
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 3:07:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess I will be the counter argument for the Barrett 99. I will say I have never shot or have experience with either a State Arms or AR 50 so I cannot compare them directly to a 99. I have handled the AR 50 and its a monster of a gun, even more so than the Barrett. The State appears equally as long and heavy. These are both big, heavy rifles so they are strictly "from your truck to shooting bench" guns. I would think that both guns won't store in a typical gun safe nor fit into most car trunks/backseats for transport without breaking them down. The Barrett I have carried nearly a mile many times to our shooting range. It's not pleasant but doable. The 99 will fit into most gun safes and the back of a car seat.

I have many hundred rounds through my friend's 99 and another friend's BlueGrass Viper, a 99 clone. Both have been fairly accurate shooter's up to 475 yds, the max distance of our range. More so than either of my Safety Harbors SHTF 50's, which is supposedly a MOA gun. I have often gotten results like The Bandito at 100 yds, so I think the 99 would be capable and something to consider for fun shooting vs. precision target. I think it was the 99, I was shooting steel at 100 yds. I put a bullet through the 1st bullet hole, with API no less. Yes I know not the typical results, but MOA at 100 yes, with shooter's that are good shots but not necessarily competition shooters. As far as ammo. Our group rarely shoots target ammo or hand-loads, but I'm sure you could fine tune a 99 and get even better results should you decide to pursue accuracy. Both the 99 and Viper have been rock solid as far as durability, reliability and few if any issues. I would think Barrett's name recognition would help the 99 retain good resale. I realize the AR 50 and State Arms are very popular and have a following as well, but Barrett is Barrett and everyone ex-military or into black rifles knows about them.

Not trying to muddy the water even more. Having shot about 5 different types of 50 over the years as well as many exotic black rifles, by far and away the gun that puts the biggest grin on my face is my 18" mag fed Safety Harbor SHTF 50 shooting offhand. You want a fun blaster 50, this is it. I have a little over 3K invested in the whole kit and caboodle, including a premium optic. Have not yet been able to achieve MOA, even though it is claimed to be capable of it. I can however bust a 14" x 18" chunk of steel plate at 400+ yards every single time and hold 2" groups at 100 yds which is good enough for my purposes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to see 50's or other rifles shooting 1.25 miles, come to Raton NM to the NRA Whittington Center.
Then from July 2nd thru July 4th, we have our World Championships shoot for 50BMG rifles only at 1000 yards.

Last weekend I used my AR-50 to shoot 2X 6"+ groups and 4X 9" groups at 1000 yards at Alliance Nebraska FCSA Sanctioned shoot.

My friend, using my State Arms rifle, shot some 3-shot groups that could be covered with a 50 cent piece, the other 2 shots destroyed his groups.
He's still learning to shoot in the wind.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 6:44:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you want to see 50's or other rifles shooting 1.25 miles, come to Raton NM to the NRA Whittington Center.
Then from July 2nd thru July 4th, we have our World Championships shoot for 50BMG rifles only at 1000 yards.

Last weekend I used my AR-50 to shoot 2X 6"+ groups and 4X 9" groups at 1000 yards at Alliance Nebraska FCSA Sanctioned shoot.

My friend, using my State Arms rifle, shot some 3-shot groups that could be covered with a 50 cent piece, the other 2 shots destroyed his groups.
He's still learning to shoot in the wind.
View Quote

I wish i could take a trip up there
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:21:57 PM EDT
[#16]
You have already sold your 50 cal once, so you should see the importance of how well something holds its 'value'. Generally name brand anything cost more for the same value compared to generic or unknown brands. However they hold their value much better and essentially are much 'cheaper' in the long run. Buy a used Barrett at a decent price and if/when you have to sell it (because of need or to upgrade) you will most likely lose close to nothing on it. Buy an off brand and save money in the short term but get ready to take a bath on resale (if you are even able to sell it, without giving up and trading it in).

AR50 is pretty well known as well though. But I'm not sure of the resale on those.

If money is absolutely no issue then you have to decide what your goals are and buy the 'best tool' for the job. Even better, get one of each for their inherent advantages over the others.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm fairly certain I'm going with the Barrett, it just seems to be a much more "usable" sized rifle.  About the same weight as the old AR upper version I had so recoil should be comparable.  The more I looked at it I realized the AR50 wasn't that much cheaper is you factor in a $300 bipod and a $200 case that come with the M99.
Thanks for everyone's feed back
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top