Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2015 6:12:56 PM EDT
We all know that the 50 BMG owners are a small segment of the entire firearms community.  I'm wondering if anyone knows the percentage of .50BMG owners to all gun owners.  My guess is 1/2 of 1 percent....but growing.  OldmanFCSA....I'll bet you have a good chance at knowing.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I only had the pleasure  of firing one in the Army.  As a Medic I didn't think that was even possible.  One day doing medic range duty.  some of the guy's  set up a couple 50's  not sure for what reason I never asked.    during a break.    I walk over and say "what's the chances of a  girl firing that puppy."    10 minutes later a belt gets loaded for my enjoyment.     very memorable experience.  the thing moves the air around you.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 7:24:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My guess is 1/2 of 1 percent..
View Quote

Probably less than that. To expensive for most. Half probably don't realize the 50 BMG upper market alone. I couldn't afford a barrett so figured no way. Then learned on this site about the uppers. About 2200 bucks in my setup. Pretty cheap for a bad ass 50 BMG.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:41:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 3, so that skews it a bit.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:05:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably less than that. To expensive for most. Half probably don't realize the 50 BMG upper market alone. I couldn't a barrett so figured no way. Then learned on this site about the uppers. About 2200 bucks in my setup. Pretty cheap for a bad ass 50 BMG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably less than that. To expensive for most. Half probably don't realize the 50 BMG upper market alone. I couldn't a barrett so figured no way. Then learned on this site about the uppers. About 2200 bucks in my setup. Pretty cheap for a bad ass 50 BMG.

The cost isn't even as big of a factor compared to finding a place to shoot it that is over 200yds long in my area.  At 200yds a 308 makes more sense (which is why I bought an AI AE yesterday ).
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The cost isn't even as big of a factor compared to finding a place to shoot it that is over 200yds long in my area.  At 200yds a 308 makes more sense (which is why I bought an AI AE yesterday ).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trader.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 2:13:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet. Posts some pics of that new toy. I went ahead and bought a Savage 10T 308 a couple days ago. At least I can shoot at ranges with this vs finding some hole in the woods to shoot the 50. Just ordered a scope to put me over until I can afford the real good ones. SWFA 16X42. Have a SWFA 20X42 on my 50 that works great.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Trader.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trader.

He's a trader and a traitor.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#10]
x2 here.

Went the AR upper route first.

Picked up an AR-50 this year.

If I were to downsize I'd certainly keep the AR-50. I'm very pleased with it.

Not a caliber I fire regularly....but certainly enjoy the .50 BMGs capability for my intended use and will be keeping it in my line up.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I own quite a few .50's to include three M2HB's, one M3HB, one M3 and four Barretts. These guns still put the grin on my face every single time.

V/R
Ron
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 2:11:38 PM EDT
[#12]
One AR-50 here.  My 2 sons are going to have to share when I'm gone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Down here in SW Oklahoma I heard a guy talking the other day saying there are more 50 BMG owners here than anywhere else in the US.  Now I don't know if he is right or wrong but I think there are quite a few people like me that own enough land to shoot as far as I want to.  I believe that makes a difference if you can shoot as much as you want to.  What I do find odd and disturbing is there is no group down here that we can get together with for competition or fun shoots anywhere near here.  Man that is a big bummer.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 6:15:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Start one. Sucks in minnesota for shooting. Hard to find a place without driving far. I envy you.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:49:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:51:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:54:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:59:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:03:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Your a crude dude! Yeah, rub it in. Dam, I need to move.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You guys did say you liked seeing 50's right?

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ds2005/fall/50cal_line05.jpg
View Quote

How much expansion is expected in the CA .50 cal market?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 7:50:45 AM EDT
[#23]
I'd love one.....but since I don't access to a 1000+yd range, and hundred of dollars of money laying around for ammo.....I've held off on one. It's like buying a NASCAR for the street.....
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:51:13 AM EDT
[#24]
What do you honestly do with it once you have it?

Take 3000 yard shots in the desert?  Even at that range isn't a cheytac a better choice?

Curious. I, like most boys, want one, but I really can't justify it.  I would have to spend a months allowance just to sight it in.

Hell, I have been back and forth on a .338 with justification.  Probably buy another WM.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:04:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Oh and women like to shoot big guns also!

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ds2006/spring/dss06_hmv16.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You guys did say you liked seeing 50's right?

http://www.daplane.com/50bmg/ds2005/fall/50cal_line05.jpg

There isn't much for the .50BMG cartridge, but it's replacement, the .510DTC (aka .50DTC) is still picking up steam...
The BMG still sees some expansion in M2HB (not a rifle), 07FFL gun builds and sales/rentals to the movie companies and others exempt/excluded from AB50...
There were ALOT of .50BMG rifles and conversions sold in CA before AB50 took effect, and many more .50DTC guns since.

Test of M2HB .50DTC conversion

Serbu BFG50 in .50DTC
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Well......of the 30 to 40 (gun guys) I know, 4 of us have 50,s
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:38:56 PM EDT
[#29]
...hmmm, of the 40-50 gun guys/gals I know.. ALL of them have .50s  :)
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:19:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

just comparing Apples to Apples. How many of those 40-50 guys do you reload for?  Hmm would that have anything to do with the high count? Just pulling your chain my friend. And trying to keep you honest.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:08:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I would bet the numbers are closer to 0.02-0.05%, of gun owners, so one in two to five thousand.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

just comparing Apples to Apples. How many of those 40-50 guys do you reload for?  Hmm would that have anything to do with the high count? Just pulling your chain my friend. And trying to keep you honest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Would be many more if I added those in too!  

The group we typically shoot with have been shooting the big 50s since the late '90s and early '2000s...
We pretty much came to know one another because we were shooting .50BMG fairly often at the local ranges.
There was a time when we would fill up the rifle side of ASR (angelesranges.com) every month with just 50cal rifles.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 12:34:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Pretty sure the 50 BMG is the cheaper all around option. That's what I found when comparing the Lapua and I'd imagine the Cheytac is even more, for the ammo anyway. You can get a nice 50 for under 2K and ammo for as little as a $1.50 a round. That's pretty affordable considering. As I recall my 300WM wasn't much cheaper to shoot than a 50. I sold it and my Rem. 416 mag after I got my .50 cal. and no regrets.

Quoted:

Take 3000 yard shots in the desert?  Even at that range isn't a cheytac a better choice?

Curious. I, like most boys, want one, but I really can't justify it.  I would have to spend a months allowance just to sight it in.

Hell, I have been back and forth on a .338 with justification.  Probably buy another WM.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#34]
People keep mentioning long range shooting but the 50 is a lot of fun even short range if you have a safe place to shoot. The anti material factor is a lot of the fun
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People keep mentioning long range shooting but the 50 is a lot of fun even short range if you have a safe place to shoot. The anti material factor is a lot of the fun
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I know of a guy that has one; waiting for him to bring it out, so I can play with "Mama". Miss her so much.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I would bet the numbers are closer to 0.02-0.05%, of gun owners, so one in two to five thousand.
View Quote

Wow....that's even less than what I was thinking and I thought I was aiming low.
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 9:21:12 PM EDT
[#38]
I will be one eventually... but in the meantime i bought my first box of .50 BMG AMMO....but first,

I Got to get me a class 3 license so i can buy a .50cal rifle, because the .50 is a military round, and you need an extensive background check. WHY? ....the guy at the Wally counter said so....and that he has shot a .50 cal at a range of 1.8 miles....in Afghanistan...

... ...

And after checking out, told me "not to shoot anyone i like"...while the lady assissting said to "have fun".

ETA: UNLESS  the shot was anti-material...but based on his physical buildup, and age/appearance..........

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I will get one eventually, I was thinking Bday present to myself when I turn 50 if they are still legal.

Here in Phoenix area they used to be a somewhat common sight on the last lane at Rio Salado, but they sort of disappeared there.   Maybe the owners have gravitated towards the desert instead.   But even then, its a lot harder to find a good 500 yard shooting spot than you would think in the desert.   Even if you find a place with a clear shot, you have to worry about ATVs and what not.

And I assume you would need a buddy to come with you and babysit the gun while you check on targets.   And it can be a long boring wait for a 500 yard target check over broken and uneven ground.   LGS has a Barrett for their rental excursion packages, they took off the scope and put on an aimpoint since most people rarely shot it over 50 - 100 yards.    That is what I would probably do to mine, take it out once a year for the wow factor and put some serious holes into something at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:46:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed.

+1
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I will be one eventually... but in the meantime i bought my first box of .50 BMG AMMO....but first,

I Got to get me a class 3 license so i can buy a .50cal rifle, because the .50 is a military round, and you need an extensive background check. WHY? ....the guy at the Wally counter said so....and that he has shot a .50 cal at a range of 1.8 miles....in Afghanistan...

... ...

And after checking out, told me "not to shoot anyone i like"...while the lady assissting said to "have fun".

ETA: UNLESS  the shot was anti-material...but based on his physical buildup, and age/appearance..........

View Quote

That Wallyworld dipstick needs to be fired.  We don't need people like that selling anything to do with the 50.  Here in SW Oklahoma it seems like any of the farmers/ranchers that like guns and own property have 50 BMG along with a bunch of ATV guys at the Copper Mines ATV trail system.  They even have gongs set up from 300 yards out to a mile and don't mind you shooting them with API.  The owner says that's what he has a welding truck for.  Also a bunch of those guys have some amazing accurate custom rifles and know how to use them.  I've watched a couple of them make cold bore 1000 yard hits on the gongs.  After shooting with them a while back I ended up sending my Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS back to have a zero stop installed.  I do wish we really had an organized group of 50 shooters because I think the ownership numbers here are skewed towards many more 50 BMG owners.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

That Wallyworld dipstick needs to be fired.  We don't need people like that selling anything to do with the 50.  Here in SW Oklahoma it seems like any of the farmers/ranchers that like guns and own property have 50 BMG along with a bunch of ATV guys at the Copper Mines ATV trail system.  They even have gongs set up from 300 yards out to a mile and don't mind you shooting them with API.  The owner says that's what he has a welding truck for.  Also a bunch of those guys have some amazing accurate custom rifles and know how to use them.  I've watched a couple of them make cold bore 1000 yard hits on the gongs.  After shooting with them a while back I ended up sending my Nightforce 8-32X56 NXS back to have a zero stop installed.  I do wish we really had an organized group of 50 shooters because I think the ownership numbers here are skewed towards many more 50 BMG owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... ...

http://www.1moa.org/
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:12:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Oh how we have to eat our words sometimes..
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#45]
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1113919
http://www.beltfedshooters.com/forum/video.php?do=viewdetails&videoid=22
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xoo16KTeGKk
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 2:13:29 PM EDT
[#46]
When I had mine, got to shoot maybe twice a year due to limited places to go shoot. But those times were awesome times. Had to sell until I can get my back to heal better. If it heals up, will be looking again for another. Don't there is any other boom stick that bring such a smile when shooting than the big bad 50 BMG. I miss mine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 3:28:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I own quite a few .50's to include three M2HB's, one M3HB, one M3 and four Barretts. These guns still put the grin on my face every single time.

V/R
Ron
View Quote

How well do the high round count .50's hold up?
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

V/R
Ron

What do you consider High Round count?

I've got almost 5000 rounds thru my AR-50, just getting broke-in. Replaced the stock barrel at 3800 rounds - it was totally wore out, but still went BANG.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top