Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/15/2015 7:26:12 PM EDT
why did you choose the 50 BMG over some of the more modern rounds that are in the same class?

For me it was because of the surplus market making brass and bullets relative cheap.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Because punk ass Swarzenegger signed the bill preventing me from owning one! Once he signed it I had a few months to find one before it became law.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:43:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Its the biggest, baddest round without paperwork and an investment
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Its the biggest, baddest round without paperwork and an investment
View Quote

Enough said right here! Would rather have it when needed than need it and not have it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Had everything else.
Needed a new challenge and boy did I find it.

I enjoy FCSA Match competitions.
Your method may vary, but this is mine.
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Because I can't get a .65 HFH
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 9:13:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Because I can. I looked into 338 lapua. The ammo was just as expensive and you don't get the fun rounds.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:55:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The round was big and I thought........what the heck. Let`s try it.

A few sore shoulders later.........................had some fun. The side blast is a hoot at the range when others are around. Light one or two off....they notice. The target does too.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:47:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Cheap ammo and having available the power of the big 50 BMG. Once you shoot a 50 cal everything else seems pedestrian unless you get into the bigger/exotic stuff and that gets to be a hassle and/or expensive proposition. Everyone agree's it's the funnest of guns to shoot besides a full auto.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:55:23 AM EDT
[#9]
I have no issues with admitting that it was just to have because I can.  Purely testosterone driven.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 7:57:14 AM EDT
[#10]
My son bought an AR50 while in college, had fun shooting it, so I got a Barrett M82A1 and loved it and so did everyone who shot it, but the accuracy left something needed, so I go a Barrett 95M, more accurate and just as much fun.  Sold the M82A1.  But, I got tired of these small bore guns, got a reproduction Pack Parrott, (Civil War era cannon)  3 inch bore, but its on wheels and has a huge wood stock.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 12:47:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Because 'Merica, that's why!

I just wanted a big, bad gun....no other reason.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Because I fired one once.
Link Posted: 6/17/2015 6:15:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Shoot steel at 800yds with APIT and get back to us..
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 10:22:15 PM EDT
[#14]
FREEEEDOM!!!
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:28:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Fun ammo being readily available at a favorable cost
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#16]
Because it was awesome!!! They appeal fell off and I sold them. I wouldnt mind another pair. I kind of want a 82cq but need to shoot one first. My 82 was pretty obnoxious. The 99 was probably the best all around gun I had.

Suppressed 22" Serbu would be cool
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Simply.. because.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:18:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
FREEEEDOM!!!
View Quote

This fairly well sums it up for me. That and being able to reach out to over 600 yrds all day long each and every shot.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

This fairly well sums it up for me. That and being able to reach out to over 600 yrds all day long each and every shot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
FREEEEDOM!!!

600???? I think you're thinking of 223, 308, and just about every other centerfire
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Because it was awesome!!! They appeal fell off and I sold them. I wouldnt mind another pair. I kind of want a 82cq but need to shoot one first. My 82 was pretty obnoxious. The 99 was probably the best all around gun I had.

View Quote

I thought my 95 was the best mix of balance/size and accuracy. the 82 was cool.

My serbu carbine was the most fun to shoot standing.

Now I was up between a 107a1 and an M2/3.

107 it shall be. Unless barrett makes me a semi rifle that feeds from the belt
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 7:24:50 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

95 was cool no doubt but I could never bring myself to pay that much for a bolt gun when the semi was just a bit more. If it was closer to the price of the 99 it would be a no brainer.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:38:29 AM EDT
[#22]
I had been wanting one for years but for some reason, just kept putting it off.  Back in February, my wife went to the hospital to have our first child.  When we got there, we were told that her nurse wasn't on call and a different nurse would be doing the delivery.  When the new nurse got there, she introduced herself as Dr. Barrett.  I knew it was a sign and bought an M99 as soon as we got out of the hospital.

ETA: I told my wife that I purchased it for our son.  I like to say that his first gun was a 50 BMG.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:37:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

95 was cool no doubt but I could never bring myself to pay that much for a bolt gun when the semi was just a bit more. If it was closer to the price of the 99 it would be a no brainer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im still blown away that the EDM windrunner website lists it at 7500. I would probs take that over a 95 if I was buying a bolt gun again.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 2:56:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Im still blown away that the EDM windrunner website lists it at 7500. I would probs take that over a 95 if I was buying a bolt gun again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had one but I never shot it. Wasn't real impressed for what it cost. Loved the easy takedown. I think he's changed a few things on the most recent guns but I still don't think it's worth the money.

I always liked the Cobb/Bushmaster especially when it was only a little more the the Barrett 99's but it is a tank. The Armalite is pretty cool but I really wish it was a repeater with a little more versatile stock.

I wish I could sit down and play with them all at once. The time in between guns makes it hard to directly compare them. If I had to pick one with any further info it would be another 99.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:36:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did you get the M107A1 or M107A1 CQ?
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 4:39:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gonna buy the CQ (currently exploring if there is .mil/blue label) Got 11 months of deployment to finish though :(
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 5:24:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gonna buy the CQ (currently exploring if there is .mil/blue label) Got 11 months of deployment to finish though :(
View Quote

11 months?  Ouch!  I've gotten used to my 4-5 monthers as a contractor.

I'm looking at a CQ myself because I've got no range beyond 600yds to shoot it.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top