Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/9/2015 7:17:30 PM EDT
What is the most common distance you shoot your 50 bmg at? I am talking about just fun shooting.

What are you using for targets?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#1]
300 - 1000 yds. using big thick elevator weights as targets..
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
300 yards has been my max so far.
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 7:46:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone shoot the rifle off hand?

Do you punch trough the elevator plates?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I tried to john wayne it once. Never again. Already have back issues. This just added to it.
Elevator plates?
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/9/2015 11:27:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
100, 300 yds at a regular range we use and our long range is almost 500 yds. Steel plate whatever the scrap yard has available. Paper where someone makes us use it.

Offhand blasting with the Safety Harbors is the best!
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 4:58:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
600 yards at the range and 2000+ out in the desert.
View Quote

2000 yards would be a dream come true. Your lucky.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
2k yards in SoCal...

Link Posted: 6/10/2015 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Must be nice to have that kind of range. In Maryland I have a 100 yard public range and have family member that has an 900 yard range but it is hard to get time to go with him to use it, so I am mostly stuck to 100 yards.

It is fun to shoot on the public range. I love it when I squeeze the trigger and the big bore goes off. The entire range stops shooting to see what just went off.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 1:10:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I would just like to find somewhere I can shoot steel somewhere in southeastern Virginia thats over 300 yards. If anyone knows a place send me an IM
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:03:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got my dozer back from getting fixed and I'm going to knock some trees on my property down for a 1000 yard range.  Most of the time I've been wasting bullets into my 100 yard tractor tires filled with dirt back stop from my front porch.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 2:23:14 PM EDT
[#14]
1400m up at my mom's place in northern middle Tennessee.  Usually shoot at 55 gallon drum or a rock that is about 4' across, 3' tall.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 6:27:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Drool on those pics. I have to drive almost 4 hrs to get above 200 yards. Just about all outdoor ranges in minnesota ban 50 cal. I prefer to shoot into a hill or something similar to insure the round doesnt go beyond where i want it to go. You folks in california or with nice deserts should video it and post here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2015 7:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Have mowed small trees with a semi Barrett at 100 yards, shooting from the hip.

Was very sad when the magazine was empty.

200 yards is the farthest that I can shoot here.

You folks with lots of room to "stretch their legs", I envy you folks.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 12:44:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 1:25:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks cool to see that.
Link Posted: 6/11/2015 6:35:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I consider myself to be lucky that only about 15 miles away is my clubs range. There are some limitations put on us 50 BMG guys, but we do have a 600 yrd range. We can only shoot either brass solids or Amax. Would love to have a place like you two with your 1000+ yrd ranges. But the cost of living in CA (not just money) is way to high. To much dumb B.S. laws, then there are the high cost of living out there. But Damn that looks like fun shooting out to those ranges.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Elevator weights as targets. Hmm.
There is an elevator service company not far from me, may see if they have some they may want to unload.
Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 3:36:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I've mostly been shooting my M107 at 300 and 600 yards. Got a 8" ar500(3/4" thick) for the 300 and a 12" ar500(1/2" thick) plate for the 600 yards. I haven't used them too often yet, but so far both have held up well to numerous hits.

I have room out to 3k+ but I can't imagine how big the target would have to be to be consistent on target at 2k with the m107 and ball ammo haha. I use 36" targets at 2k for my 338lm, I think I would need something thats like 5 ft x 5ft  for the m107!
Link Posted: 6/12/2015 9:46:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had a mag fed one that I could shoot off hand
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 4:26:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I consider myself to be lucky that only about 15 miles away is my clubs range. There are some limitations put on us 50 BMG guys, but we do have a 600 yrd range. We can only shoot either brass solids or Amax. Would love to have a place like you two with your 1000+ yrd ranges. But the cost of living in CA (not just money) is way to high. To much dumb B.S. laws, then there are the high cost of living out there. But Damn that looks like fun shooting out to those ranges.
View Quote

Why only solid brass or Amax? I could understand not letting you shoot API, APIT, tracer or incendiary. Ball should be fine. AP should be too if those are legal in Commiefornia.
Link Posted: 6/13/2015 12:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks 50_shooter,

As for the ball or worse the AP. The club feels that the steel be it mild or hardened will ricochet more easily and we have houses a mile or two down range. Though in the past few years we have greatly raised and thicken the berms behind the targets. I am lucky to belong to a fairly well known world class range. Look at the photos at    www.shootingstl.com

I tried to hot link it but it would not do it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 9:19:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/090X0SGPI-s
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://youtu.be/090X0SGPI-s

You sold it? Did you get another 50BMG?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:16:16 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Come out to SoCal for a visit and we'll take a ride. Let me find the link of some pics and you'll want to come.
View Quote

So 50bmgs are allowed to be brought into the state by out of staters, you just can't purchase one if you live in CA?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:07:36 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 7:35:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You can if you're attending a licensed match. Other then that, no you just can't bring one to plink.

But you can shoot someone that owns one.
View Quote

Open season on cali 50 cal owners?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Think I will stay out of california. Don't want my ass shot for being a 50BMG owner.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You can if you're attending a licensed match. Other then that, no you just can't bring one to plink.

I remember when the ban went into place. Guys making 50BMGs where spitting out receivers with serial numbers as fast as they could. Guy would buy a receiver and later send it back and the makers would finish the gun. Did this so that guys could buy their rifle before the ban to effect. Thus they where grandfathered in.

50 shooter, can someone that has one of those grandfathered in guns, sell it to another Californian?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 11:37:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I remember when the ban went into place. Guys making 50BMGs where spitting out receivers with serial numbers as fast as they could. Guy would buy a receiver and later send it back and the makers would finish the gun. Did this so that guys could buy their rifle before the ban to effect. Thus they where grandfathered in.

50 shooter, can someone that has one of those grandfathered in guns, sell it to another Californian?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no...
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:14:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, no...

Thanks for the answer MrBen. Well thankfully Legislators are idiots and wrote up the law to band a cartridge and someone came up with the 510 DTC. Law makers helped the gun industry sell more reloading equipment. And more people either learned how to reload or gave more business to those of you who do commercial reloading. And the other 49 states are going to pick up some used 50BMG rifles from CA.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:53:07 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have shot my M82 standing up. I'm pretty skinny and its not that bad.    Just kinda heavy.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top