Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/4/2015 11:51:25 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'm looking for some suggestions on what kind of 50 to buy. At first I was going to get the zel custom t1 upper and build one. But after adding it all up, it's not far off from a Barrett m99.  The three options I'm looking at are the zel t1 build, Barrett m99, and ar50.  Which shoots softer, more accurate, etc...  If I went with the t1 it would probably be the ultra lite barrel. I'll mainly be shooting 400-600 yards but I'd like to be able to reach out to at least 1,000 yards when I go out to Wisconsin. Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Serbu also makes a great 50 for the money.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:12:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll look into the serbu.  The reason I was going to build it at first is because you can spend a little at a time and not feel as bad dropping all that money on a rifle.  If the Barrett has a big advantage over the others I would def save a little longer and get that.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:20:30 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/
http://www.ferret50.com/ferret50_conversion.html
http://www.50bmg.net/
Here are a few more to look at. Whats your budget? Bolt only or semi auto too?
I have the safety harbors upper, stubborn mule lower (http://www.smosarms.com/collections/lower-receivers/products/rogue-50-single-shot-billet-lower-receiver) and a magpull stock (http://www.tactilite.com/Magpul-PRS-Stock-with-Pachmayr-Pad-p/rp-0034.htm) . There is a picture of mine in the pic thread. Scan through the pic thread for some good ideas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#4]
go to sportsmans guide and type in 50 bmg, I did this the other day and found they sell lot of 50 cal rifles as well, it could be a good place to start.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 12:40:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I may be biased but a complete rifle will always get you more return for your money if you are forced to sell them in the future.

I never shot an AR-50, but I hear it has the least recoil. The M99 has very manageable recoil but it is more than I feel Onmy 107A1. That's due to the 99 not having any springs. The M99 seems to vibrate my brains when I shoot it too much. I just take a break and shoot it some more. I never feel that vibration on the 107A1.

The AR-50 is very accurate from what I hear. But it is heavier and harder to carry than the 99.

I wanted a Barrett and I bought the 99 first. Years later I was fortunate to buy a 107A1. I still would not sell the 99, even though I had gotten offers to sell it. The only reason I don't shoot it more is because I have not bought an optic as nice as what I have on the other one. I still like my 99 a lot.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
That pad on the end of the 99 looks kind of slim. Take a look at this pad, http://www.tactilite.com/Adjustable-M-P-Magpul-Pachmayr-Adapter-and-Pad-p/rp-0053.htm . Might be more forgiving on your shoulder. Have than on mine. Can shoot for a good while before feeling any discomfort.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 7:15:28 AM EDT
[#8]
For what it's worth, I put 20 rounds through my 99 in a period of 30 to 45 minutes a couple weeks ago. It didn't phase me one bit. I had also put 40 rounds through my 308 the same day. I think the stock pad is fine. I got mine with the scope included. The longest range I know of around here goes out to 600 yards. It works fine but I wish the max magnification around 20x though.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:21:34 AM EDT
[#9]
The Serbu 50 and 50A are both really easy on the arm.  

I easily shoot 50-100 rounds per session out of them and feel much better then 25 rounds of 12 gauge.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:17:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That pad on the end of the 99 looks kind of slim. Take a look at this pad, http://www.tactilite.com/Adjustable-M-P-Magpul-Pachmayr-Adapter-and-Pad-p/rp-0053.htm . Might be more forgiving on your shoulder. Have than on mine. Can shoot for a good while before feeling any discomfort.
View Quote

Thank you. I'll look into that. But my problem is not the recoil on my shoulder. It is more the shockwave traveling to the receiver and to my head. Don't get me wrong, I love that feeling. And as long I take a break, I can shoot many rounds through it. But I know some people don't like that feeling.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:32:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I'll bet your resting your cheek on the stock, which is near impossible to do anyways. Loaded up some hot rounds with H50BMG and quickly learned to back them off. Jaw was tingling a bit after a couple rounds. Not sure about yours but mine kicks like a 12 gauge magnum. The 22 lbs help keep it from kicking like a mule plus that pad really helps. Last time out, shot 25 rounds with no ill effect on the shoulder.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:53:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Softest shooting, probably the AR-50 because of the weight of the rifle and a good brake. Best accuracy, probably the AR-50 but the Barrett M33 is capable of just as good or better accuracy. Portability then the Barrett M33 or Serbu wins easily. The AR-50 is long and heavy. The M33 and Serbu rifles can be shot from standing if you're strong enough and get on target fast. It would be nice to shoot each and then make your decision. Most 50 shooters are more than happy to let you fire a round or two with their rifles at the range. Neither kicks enough to hurt, just the noise and muzzle blast.  Look at the features, barrel lengths, and how you intend to use it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:27:53 PM EDT
[#14]
I was in the same boat as you about two months ago when deciding on my first 50 BMG rifle, and was considering the same options.  Here is a digest of the homework I did:

Zel Custom T1 upper
Pros:
1.  Lowest cost 50 BMG option of the rifles considered.  Used rifles and some other manufacturers like Safety Harbor could be had cheaper, but for what I could find had more of a hit-or-miss reputation from Zel.  The issues I did hear about regarding Zel had to do with reliability and never safety, and all were handled expertly by Zel's customer service.
2.  Lots of customization options available regarding barrel length, brakes, and lower configurations.
Cons:
1.  While sold as a "drop on" lower, it really isn't.  You can use an existing AR lower with some modification (removing the bolt catch), but you would likely have to upgrade to a stronger hammer spring.  Realistically you would be better served to build on a dedicated lower, preferably a single shot so you don't have an awkward mag well.
2.  While it is cheaper to buy, the resale is not as good.  It is unlikely to get a full return on your investment if you need to sell.

Zel Custom T2 upper (mag fed)
Pros:
1.  Same as above, along with the addition of a magazine fed capability
Cons:
1.  Same as above
2.  Reports that the side loading magazine configuration leads to the rifle pulling toward the heavy side due to the magazine's weight

Armalite AR50:
Pros:
1.  Widely regarded as the most accurate of the out-of-the-box 50 BMG rifles.
2.  Relatively cheap for a complete rifle.
3.  Decent resale value
4.  Low recoil
5.  Most adjustable rifle in terms of stock/cheek weld
Cons:
1.  HEAVY
2.  Price becomes less favorable vs the primary competitor (M99) once you factor in the additional things the M99 comes with
3.  Very long rifle-- can make storage and transport difficult

Continued below-- New accounts like mine are limited to 2000 characters
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Barrett M99:
Pros:
1.  Best name recognition in the 50 BMG game, which leads to the best resale value
2.  Rifle includes Pelican case and bipod
3.  Relatively light weight, but not enough to cause excessive recoil
4.  Two barrel options to fit shooter's preferences
5.  Extremely simple and robust design ensures safety and easy maintenance
Cons:
1.  Most expensive of the rifles considered
2.  Take it or leave it stock setup-- difficult to adjust length of pull or cheek rest height
3.  Trigger can be a bit heavy and is not adjustable

I ended up going with the M99.  I decided the resale value as well as the included bipod and case justified the additional cost outlay for the rifle.  I do not regret my decision one bit.  You need to be somewhat selective on your scope ring selection to ensure the scope is mounted at the proper height to compensate for the lack of cheek adjustment and LOP.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#17]
What is that? Looks light and probably kicks like a mule.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:07:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:14:57 PM EDT
[#19]
What is the weight? Is that a 16 inch barrel? Would think with a short barrel it would kick allot.

Just checked out a few you tube videos of folks shooting one. Was surprised the recoil wasn't that bad. Serbu doesn't show one one there web site to check out the specs.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 5:16:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
What is the weight? Is that a 16 inch barrel? Would think with a short barrel it would kick allot.

Just checked out a few you tube videos of folks shooting one. Was surprised the recoil wasn't that bad. Serbu doesn't show one one there web site to check out the specs.
View Quote

http://www.serbu.com/bfg50.html

22" is 17#s
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks. Not a bad price either.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:01:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Thanks. Not a bad price either.
View Quote

You should have seen the price from a recent group buy.  I got the regular length, should be here in a few more weeks or so!
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#23]
I got in on the group buy as well. 1900 for the rifle, bipod, t-shirt, case and free shipping. I also got the barrel nitrided for a additional 95.00. I have wanted a 50 since I was about 16....... Dang that was 22 years ago.... I'm getting old.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I got in on the group buy as well. 1900 for the rifle, bipod, t-shirt and free shipping. I also got the barrel nitrided for a additional 95.00.
View Quote

We have the same order.  Heard anything?  I was originally quoted 4-6 weeks, but figured it would be longer.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

We have the same order.  Heard anything?  I was originally quoted 4-6 weeks, but figured it would be longer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I got in on the group buy as well. 1900 for the rifle, bipod, t-shirt and free shipping. I also got the barrel nitrided for a additional 95.00.

My buddy that got in on the buy received a call on Friday for another payment. The lady told him that they just received the barrels and they had to be sent out for nitriding. If I had to guess we are looking at another 2 or so weeks depending on how far along the rest of the rifle parts are.

I already have ammo and reloading components ready for testing.... this is almost as bad as waiting on a tax stamp to come back.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#26]
With fifties, a good brake counts for a lot.  The original 'wasp nest' brake on my Windrunner looked cool, but sucked.  I replaced it with a brake from the guy who was restoring Boys rifles, and it was not only quieter, but reduced the recoil to imperceptible (brake no longer available due to retirement).  I've had an eleven year old girl shoot it with no problems.  The best brake will give you great recoil reduction in a small package.  The AR50 brake is superlative in recoil reduction, but also is HUGE.  You just have to shop around.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey guys I appreciate all of the help. It looks like I'm gonna go with the ar50.  I like that it is accurate with soft recoil. The price tag isn't terrible and I'm not too worried about the weight. I'll generally be shooting it at ranges where I could just back my truck up and set up right there.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top