Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 5/2/2015 5:05:44 PM EDT
Sportsman guide has the 647 gr pull down bullets right now in stock for $24.99 per 50. I just ordered 100 more bullets from them and right now they have a code for free shipping on orders $49 or more. So I got 100 50 BMG bullets for $0.49 each shipped.

I have got a few hundred bullets from them before and they where great. Looked new.

I don't think this is bad deal for fun shooting, What you guys think. any one know of a cheaper place to get 50 bmg fmj bullets?
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
That is close to .50 cents each.  If you wish to go with larger quantities they can be found on Gun Broker for as low as .27 cents the last time I checked.  At that weight they are probably API bullets and I don't know if they tumbled the silver paint off the tip or it's something I don't know anything about. However I enjoy shooting API all the time as long as I have a reasonable backstop that can't catch fire.   I usually purchase them in a quantity of 600 to 1000 in GI ammo cans.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#2]
They say fmj in the ad.
Beside cutting one open how could one tell if it is a api round?

I don't really care about shooting api rounds because I only have two places to shoot one is 100 m public range with a dirt back stop with no chance of setting things on fire. The other is about 1000 yard private farm that uses a swamp and trees for back stop. Very little that is hard enough to set off an api bullet
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:33:01 PM EDT
[#3]
The m33 looks to be a 647 gr bullet and is s fmj so I am thinking that they are true fmj.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:03:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They say fmj in the ad.
Beside cutting one open how could one tell if it is a api round?

I don't really care about shooting api rounds because I only have two places to shoot one is 100 m public range with a dirt back stop with no chance of setting things on fire. The other is about 1000 yard private farm that uses a swamp and trees for back stop. Very little that is hard enough to set off an api bullet
View Quote

M8 API will have a cut cannelure (and weigh about 640gr)

M33 will have a knurled cannelure (and weigh about 647gr for the pulled surplus and 690gr for some of the more recent stuff like south african ball)
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the heads up. Will order 200 at that price. Last time I ordered some they were 85 cents a pop from 50bmgsupply.com . Heck, joining sportsman club saves a bit more. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I've scored m-33 pulls for .36 each delivered off GB but you have to watch the site like a hawk or you'll miss out.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:38:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Looked yesterday at some on GB. 70 cents per round. Wish I could find some AP rounds for the same price as those on sportsmans now. API goes pretty cheap but don't want to chance starting a fire.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My range does not let us 50 BMG guys shoot the M33 ball cause of the mild steel core. Needless to say all of those fancy AP, API, Tracer so on.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Looked yesterday at some on GB. 70 cents per round. Wish I could find some AP rounds for the same price as those on sportsmans now. API goes pretty cheap but don't want to chance starting a fire.
View Quote

I got 200 AP pulls off of GB over the winter @ .40 ea.  The only thing wrong with them was the black tip was removed and some did need to be run through a sizer die.  Hey....for that price I'll run them through a sizer die and put the black paint back on the tip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:11:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got 200 AP pulls off of GB over the winter @ .40 ea.  The only thing wrong with them was the black tip was removed and some did need to be run through a sizer die.  Hey....for that price I'll run them through a sizer die and put the black paint back on the tip.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet find. I paid $1.25 a piece on my last order. Have never sized a bullet but for that price, would learn real quick. Had to use permanent maker on some of mine but heck, it works.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#11]
All you have to get is a .510 sizer die from Lee for about $15 bucks.  I got mine from Titan Reloading.  Just put a little lube on the bullet and press it through the die several times until there is little resistance.  It will save you tons of money and will enable you to buy lots of unsized bullets.  Myself, I wouldn't load a surplus bullet without running it through a sizer die....even if I bought them as already sized.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#12]
So does the resizer shave the bullet? Do you need to do anything else after resizing to smooth them out from the resizer? I got mine from 50bmgsupply.com and they state they resize them and ready to shoot. Would think if they screwed up and someone got hurt shooting one thats not resized but advertised would get them a lawsuit real quick.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:47:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes a shame that pulled surplus 647 Ball has gotten as expensive as they are, and getting scarcer too. Patsreloading has 500 for $210 and that's about the going rate.
http://www.patsreloading.com/patsrel/prices.aspx?category=Bullets
 The Lee .510" resizer does a decent job resizing pulled unsized 50 bullets. I use Dillon Case lube on the bullet and wipe with a rag after sizing. The Lee 510 sizer won't make them exactly .510" but it will iron down any high pull marks and make any slightly out of round bullets nearly round. I resize all pulled bullets but many say "let the barrel" resize them?? Some pulled bullets slide through the resizer easily but a few are tight. Start the bullet through the resizer die with some force and don't stop until it comes out or you'll stick a bullet in the die. They are easily knocked out from the bullet tip if one does hang. DO NOT hit the tips of Blue Tips or API's as they would ignite.  Some say you need to use a 509.5" sizer for them to be close to .510 and a 509.5 can be bought from such companies as CH4-D or others. The Lee .510 sizer is a good investment for unsized pulled bullets in ..223, 308, and 50 BMG bullets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 6:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thats what I paid through sportsmans (after joining). I figured all AP would get yanked after the government tried to pull the 5.56 green tips.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Just got my shipment this morning. That was fast for free shipping.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:25:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So does the resizer shave the bullet? Do you need to do anything else after resizing to smooth them out from the resizer? I got mine from 50bmgsupply.com and they state they resize them and ready to shoot. Would think if they screwed up and someone got hurt shooting one thats not resized but advertised would get them a lawsuit real quick.
View Quote

No...it just squeezes them back into shape.  All you have to do after resizing is get the lube off and you're good to load the projo.  I would recommend, for safety and accuracy reasons, to resize your own even if they are marketed as resized.  How many times do you read in gun blogs about ammo being sold as non corrosive and it turns out that it was actually corrosive?  Usually the poor lad that posts about that lost a rifle or two because he trusted the marketing of the item he purchased as gospel. That is something I believe 50 shooters should be much more careful about.  I know some will say that they resize the bullets by firing them.  I'm not of the mentality of trying to resize a bullet at 2,700 fps.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/bulk-new-50-bmg-647-grain-pull-down-bullets-50-rounds?a=1723161
These are nice shiny new in a package of 50. But will have to get that tool to insure they are right. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
$190 for 500 postage paid on wideners.

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=100000458

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Not bad. The ones I ordered look like they came off the factory floor. No marks at all.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

Evening Folksies.

I used to work at 50 BMG Supply. Both as a loader, and as QC.

What they have is surplus pulled projectiles, and their own (new) turned brass  in 750 gn (Sniper) and 735 gn (semi auto).

Their pulled projos, are all sized as a first step. They are using .510 carbide dies made by CH4D, in a Corbin HP-1 hydraulic press.

Sized and not yet sized are kept completely segregated, in separate rooms.

Even though I no longer work there, I still buy  my 50BMG components, from them

Hope this helps

--Steve
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 2:20:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I've resized a whole bunch of API 647 gr bullets through the .510 Lee die.  One thing to remember is to first throw away the Lee Lube that comes with it.  I found the either Imperial sizing lube or Royal Case and Die Lube are the two slickest lubes out there.  You can hardly hold on to the bullet after lubing it and they don't stick in the die like they do when using the Lee lube.  It also works great for lubing your 50 BMG cases or anything else for that matter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 12:04:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone order some these?
Looks to be the best deal around.
Link Posted: 5/23/2015 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone order some these?
Looks to be the best deal around.
View Quote

Order what? There are a couple different posts to different deals.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top