Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2015 10:37:19 PM EDT
What is the minimum safe distance that I should have between the forward (front) objective lens bell and the top rail of my rifle?

I have a Barrett XM107a1 with a full length top rail, and I've mounted a Leupold mark 8 (115062) with a 56mm objective lens using a Spuhr 5006 mount.

In other words how much will the scope body flex up and down during recoil?

What are the negative effects of the scope body hitting the top rail of the rifle during recoil?  Will the scope be damaged internally?

Right now I have less than 1mm of play in between the aluminum scope body (front objective) and the top rail of the rifle.  I know that some scope bodies flex during recoil.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:00:03 AM EDT
[#2]
! mm should be fine for clearance with a large diameter body diameter which adds greatly to overall scope strength.
The video shows the rail flexing up away from the rifle causing the major whip of forward objective body - this scope will fail and the flexible rail will be the cause but the scope will get the blame.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:49:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Use candle soot, I use it when I build 1911s. Hold the part just above the flame briefly, but not long enough to get too hot.  It will leave a nice uniform coat of soot.  If this is disturbed after the shot, you have contact.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:56:35 AM EDT
[#4]
If you watch that video up close, :04 and :11, it shows the rail under the scope doing most of the flexing. I see the scope move, but the downward motion is the rail.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:35:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Use white chalk to mark one spot. Wipes off easy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Sphur mount flex?  Lol
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 7:32:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Sphur mount flex?  Lol
View Quote

The OP was concernted about the scope body flexing...

Everything has elasticity to it.

Even the (bit too narrow IMHO) SPHUR one piece rings.

On a '50, I like to see the rings as wide as physically possible.
The SPHUR mount leaves a bit more tube exposed than I'd like.
(Which leaves the bell end with opportunity to noodle around)
They ARE good...

But there are better.

Just hard to find...

(Buy a CNC mill, and learn how to make it dance, and all of a sudden "I wish.." becomes "only I have")

...And to stay on topic:OP, it think it'll be fine, but it doesn't hurt to check.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#8]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYfvRSV1Jno

M82 at 0:47.  Not much flex visible, but the AR that opens the video looks like rubber.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top