Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 7:17:21 PM EDT
Looks like labradar won't have there chrono out until july according to there last email I got from them. Want one before then so what are you folks with 50 BMG's using? Don't want to spend top dollar as I will still get the labradar when it comes out. Suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 11:16:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I too am itching to acquire the Labradar chronograph but the chronograph I've been using for the past several years is a Chrony Gamma with the printer.  The printer is not really that necessary but it's kind of nice.  To keep from shooting this one I use electrical tape on the wire uprights about 5 inches up from the screen where I place the crosshair on my scope to make sure I give it enough elevation to never shoot another chronograph. I set it up at 10' away from my shooting position and never seem to have any problem with muzzle blast from the 50 or anything else. I shot my second chronograph one evening when I was having trouble getting good results because the sun was going down.  So in my thinking I thought my results would improve if my bullet was a bit closer to the sky screens.  Whoops that .223 bullet sure ruined that chronograph and I learned a lesson.  When there is not enough light either put a light bulb above it or quit shooting.  That is why I would like to have the Labradar but I'm worried with all the trouble they seem to be having getting them to market.  I was hoping I could purchase one last September and now it keeps moving further away. I still have my first chronograph an Olier model 33 with the red LED display.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I use my MagnetoSpeed v2, and it just barely clears my brake.  The V3 is supposed to be more accommodating.  I've used my Oehler 35 as well, but it requires some downrange fiddling to get the Skyscreens to line up.  The V2 just gets strapped to the barrel (with a little protective tape over the strap to prevent flame cutting), and that's it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 5:07:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Been using a Chrony F-1 for years.

Seems like it was less than $100.

Works well.

Only time that I have shot it.....was from a pellet gun.

Thank God that air rifle didn`t have the projectile force to kill it.

A friend shot the sky screens once. No sweat. They were cheap to replace. I guess turnabout is fair play because I shot the sky screens off of his.

Will say this though, too close in to your 50 and the thing will read unburnt powder flying through the chronograph.

You will see velocities in excess of 3000 FPS or more. Actually, much more.

Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:17:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been hounding labradar by emails past few months hoping I could have got one of the 1st batch out, which just happened. They went to select customers. Bummed I missed out but if this chrono does what its supposed to, will change the chrono market. As I am looking online for one, am seeing allot of back orders, especially caldwells. Got a feeling others will be changing to something like labradar. Have never used one so my 1st will not be high priced in the event I shoot the dam thing. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Been using a Chrony F-1 for years.

Seems like it was less than $100.

Works well.

>SNIP<

Will say this though, too close in to your 50 and the thing will read unburnt powder flying through the chronograph.

You will see velocities in excess of 3000 FPS or more. Actually, much more.

View Quote

I too use a Shootingchrony F-1, with the printer.
Now, it may be because I have a 41.5 inch barrel, but I always get good data, (knock on wood, so far) at 15 feet from the muzzle.
I will say, start EVERY session, with fresh batteries, in both the printer, and the chronograph, both.
Also, put a piece of tape across the front screen legs. About half way. Keep your aim point ABOVE that tape.
Remember, your scope's line of sight is above your barrel's line of sight. (DAMHIKT)
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I am to lazy right now to get up and find out which model it is for sure. Thinking it is the F1 with only the sensors out front with the electronics in a box at the bench. Was getting some weird readings. Called them up and was told to move the box under the bench. Seems that the sound wave was causing the contacts with the plugs from the sensors to make false make and break in the singles. So, as soon as I moved the box under the bench my readings settled down and what would be expected.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 4:30:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I use the Chrony Beta Master with unit set 20 feet ahead of muzzle.

Testing on past Friday resulted in a 3099 fps average with Barnes 800 grain LRS (Long Range Solids).

I cannot specify the loading as I use a specially coated projectile for lubricity.
I will say that it is a compressed powder charge using 20N29.

Will be doing more testing with a different powder (RL50) and striving for an accurate loading in 3200 fps range in preparation for the"King of the 2 Mile" event being held July 1st & 2nd at the NRA Whittington Center at Raton, NM.
Want a projectile to stay SuperSonic out past 3520 yards with some reserve safety yardage.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Hi Oldman,
I used to shoot some 30-06 and .223 with a dry lube (not moly) on my bullets. I noticed that with the same bullet and loads that did not have the coating, shot faster than those that are coated. I should say so that your load had to be compressed. But as you already know. With the bullet slipping out of the case and down the barrel before the pressure can become a problem. I surely would not try that load without the lube on the bullet. Now I have to ask about unburnt power making it out to the brake?
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:18:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Magneto V3
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 7:40:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Magneto V3
View Quote

Have looked at this. Will it with stand the muzzle blast? Did they update the attachment piece? Have read complaints on the attachment piece not working with multiple guns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:22:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Have looked at this. Will it with stand the muzzle blast? Did they update the attachment piece? Have read complaints on the attachment piece not working with multiple guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magneto V3

They updated the attachment pieces so that you can use it on bull barrels and with suppressors.  I'll check on the muzzle blast for you.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:04:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They updated the attachment pieces so that you can use it on bull barrels and with suppressors.  I'll check on the muzzle blast for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magneto V3

I shot them an email yesterday to ask that question. Will post there response when they answer me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I shot them an email yesterday to ask that question. Will post there response when they answer me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Magneto V3

Sweet, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 4:09:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Got a reply:

Short answer is yes, long answer is maybe not. The restriction isn't caliber specific, but the size of the muzzle brake may be too large on some weapons. Look at the instructions on the following link, on page 16, to see the dimensional restrictions of muzzle devices. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/8926/files/V3_Instructions.pdf?208

If the muzzle brake is of the right size, then it will work well. If the muzzle brake is too large, we do have a large brake adapter coming out within the next several months that we will have more details on soon.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Sincerely,

Ivan Dorflinger

MagnetoSpeed LLC
9206 Rod Rd. STE C
Austin, TX 78736

Will have to do the measurement to see.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:57:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Got a reply:

Short answer is yes, long answer is maybe not. The restriction isn't caliber specific, but the size of the muzzle brake may be too large on some weapons. Look at the instructions on the following link, on page 16, to see the dimensional restrictions of muzzle devices. https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0150/8926/files/V3_Instructions.pdf?208

If the muzzle brake is of the right size, then it will work well. If the muzzle brake is too large, we do have a large brake adapter coming out within the next several months that we will have more details on soon.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Sincerely,

Ivan Dorflinger

MagnetoSpeed LLC
9206 Rod Rd. STE C
Austin, TX 78736

Will have to do the measurement to see.
View Quote

First off, thanks for taking the time to post this info for everyone.

Second, if the V3 will your with your MB then I would highly recommend this product to you.  I use it on my .300WM and 6.5CM, without fail.  It's also the easiest chrono to set up without you having to go forward of the firing line.  Be aware there is a consistent MOA shift with this product installed, mine happens to be .23 MOA high (I havent heard of anyone with any more then a .25MOA shift).  Again though it's always exactly .23 MOA and won't affect the overall accuracy of the rifle, much like when a suppressor is installed vs no suppressor.

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 6:23:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the tip. Not sure I want to spend the money on the V3 though. I really want the labradar so might just get a less expensive one to put me over. Only need it to tell me muzzle velocity on my reloads but the labradar will tell you 4 different velocities down to 100 yards. Almost had them convinced to include me on the 1st roll out. Bugged them every 2 weeks since january.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top