Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/4/2015 8:31:49 PM EDT
Talk about pucker up before pulling the trigger on the 1st round. Had to go over in my head all my steps to make sure I covered every base. Figured out my load for WC860. 220gr  flattened the primers a little but think its safe. Waiting on labradar to release there new chronograph to see where i am at. Ran out of time to shoot all my AP rounds but got close. Now to load up what I have been stocking up on to reload. Feels great to finally reload for the 50. Got comfortable with 308 and 40 S&W. Now the fun begins.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#1]
cool. Yea that first one is a doozy
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd think about backing off that load a bit as 220 seems a little hot for 860.  I'm using a slower powder, 867, and 212 gets me low to mid 2,700's out of a 29" barrel with api's and that's about as fast as you can push them accurately.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, think I will back off to 218 until I get my chronograph. Trying to talk labradar to include me in there 1st batch sale of the new chrono's. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#4]
You going to be ready for:

Alliance = June 12-14
World = July 2-4
Michigan UP= July 17-19 (??)
Alliance = Labor Day weekend

Will help you wherever I can/

Back off test loads to 210-215 please.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I read it as he worked up to 220 and saw the primer starting to flatin. Guess i read it wrong. Defently back off and work up. Remeber ya gotta have room for the summer time heat.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You going to be ready for:

Alliance = June 12-14
World = July 2-4
Michigan UP= July 17-19 (??)
Alliance = Labor Day weekend

Will help you wherever I can/

Back off test loads to 210-215 please.
View Quote

Michigan? Did that come through? Where are those other places at? You have told me about Nebraska and new mexico (or arizona) was where you went. Haven't cleaned the rifle yet but will be inspecting. I started 205 grains and worked up. 220 is when I got flattened primers. 218 looked pretty good. Since you folks think its still to hot, will back off to 215. Primer on the 215 load looked perfect. These reloads were with WC860 and ball 647 grain bullets. Only got to shoot 2 rounds AP 696 gr with H50BMG as I ran out of time to shoot the rest. The primers on those 2 looked good so far. BTW, those rounds you gave me to shoot barked pretty good compared to my reloads. They were in that plastic case you gave me the last time I was out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#8]
WC860 surplus powder isn`t bad to use.

It is a canister powder though and as such, Hmmmmm..............

I have noticed that the loads that I shot through my rifle were very nice and consistent.

This may not apply to everyone.

This group was around 1.25" or a little more at 100 yards.

30" barrel.

233 grains of powder.

5.45" cartridge OAL.

2662 FPS
2650 FPS
2707 FPS
2772 FPS

4 out of 5 read fine through the chrony but one didn`t.

Do not.................I repeat, do not, think that for one second that your powder is the same as what I was using.

Canister pulldown powder can vary greatly from lot to lot.

My groups were fired from a bolt action rifle.

I have gotten recipes from other folks on here using IMR 5010 that absolutely would be way over pressure for my chamber dimensions and cartridges.

They were using them every day without fail. Those loads were way too hot for me and my rifle using the powder I had on hand at the time.

You have to work up loads using your own powder. What may work for everyone else, may not work for you.

When that grenade goes into the chamber in front of your face, you are the one that has to be certain that everything is right.

Don`t you dare for a second take mine or anyone else`s load data, as gospel.

Now go out there and make lots of noise.

Just stay safe while doing it.

ETA, I still pucker up on that first round. You aren`t the only one.

Link Posted: 4/7/2015 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#9]
There have been two distinct different lots of H5010 powder.
The second lot is at least 10-15% hotter than the first batch.
If loads were developed with the first batch and the newer batch was used with same loading - you may be creating a grenade in your face.

I have the first batch (lot) of Virgin H5010, so will no longer publish my loads with H5010. Any past data needs to be backed of 10% minimum.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:14:08 AM EDT
[#10]
I purchased 24 lbs of 860 pull down powder several years ago.  I learned a lesson not to do it anymore.  My velocities varied so much I refused to keep messing with it.  I even tried winnowing it in front of a fan to get the crushed grains and dust out of it.  Still didn't work. I put it in my burn barrel and ended up with giant roman candle.  Now I've got AA8700, H50, Reloader 50 and VV20N29. I don't mind surplus just not pull down ever again for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 3:31:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There have been two distinct different lots of H5010 powder.
The second lot is at least 10-15% hotter than the first batch.
If loads were developed with the first batch and the newer batch was used with same loading - you may be creating a grenade in your face.

I have the first batch (lot) of Virgin H5010, so will no longer publish my loads with H5010. Any past data needs to be backed of 10% minimum.
View Quote

I had read that somewhere.

You are correct.

I started low using the IMR 5010 powder. Glad that I did.
My results using it was that I needed less than other folks had said that they were using, to attain the same speeds as they were getting.

Now, I am not condemning those folks who tried to help me. They gave me an idea of where to start. I do appreciate all of them who tried to help me. Good folks, ALL!

I have pretty much stopped asking for load data. Too many variables.

Back on topic.

OP, I also have a little info for 250 grain loads of WC860.

This was under a 643 grain bullet.

OAL 5.45".

I don`t have any chronograph results for it. Just found the note someone wrote and lost in my info that I have here.

Canister powder is.......canister powder. Canister, Surplus, pull down...whatever.

Again, don`t take anything anyone says on the web as gospel.

I wasn`t trying to be a hardcase to you. I just wanted you to be safe and understand that you really need to work up your own loads. NEVER trust surplus powder loads when it comes to reloading. Start small and work up. That is the ONLY way to be sure of what you have and to be safe.

Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:41:00 AM EDT
[#12]
No problem. Only use WC860 on pulled ball bullets for shooting fun. I always start low and inspect after each shot to look for signs of over pressure. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No problem. Only use WC860 on pulled ball bullets for shooting fun. I always start low and inspect after each shot to look for signs of over pressure. Thanks.
View Quote

If you are busting rock or whatever, WC860 isn`t bad.

I also have some load data using Hornady AMAX 750 grain  tips & WC860.

The results were nice. About an inch maybe, at 200 yards. I don`t regularly shoot .50. My skills are not as good as others here using the .50.

Practice is the key. I don`t do it enough.

Link Posted: 4/9/2015 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Been thinking of buying some of those A-Max's to try. Have H50BMG for the match bullets I currently have from thunder ammo. Just trying to find a longer range to test them out.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top