Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/1/2015 3:42:32 PM EDT
I went out and sight in my zel custom today. I shot 26 rounds today and when I went to work the bold on the last shot it came off in my hand.

Sent them an email with picture from the field and before I could get fully packed I was getting a call from them saying the bolt handel will be in the mail today.
I was not happy with it breaking with less the 65 rounds trough this rifle but cant beat the fast call and hopefully delervery of the handle.

It snapped right at the point the treads go into the bolt body.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 6:52:01 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks. Got any pics?
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 7:36:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Seems every couple months we hear of issues with there rifles. Would be really pissed too. Now you have to wonder if the new one will hold up or what else might go wrong with the rifle. Post some pics if you can.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#3]
I talked to them about not having confidence in the bolt handle now. They said they tried new cryo treatment and some became Brittle so they are no longer using this treatment and I shouldn't have any issues with new one.
You can not blame a company for trying new things so long as they stand behind the product. So far zel custom has stood by the product.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 9:19:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Seems every couple months we hear of issues with there rifles. Would be really pissed too. Now you have to wonder if the new one will hold up or what else might go wrong with the rifle. Post some pics if you can.
View Quote

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 50 and the ZEL,  is on the short list, of the ones I'm considering. I've read a couple of posts regarding  broken handles and another about the wrong calibre brake, on a 50 upper. Those issues have me a little concerned. However,  other then those,  I can't find any other bad press on them.  What else have you heard regarding issues with their product?

Thank You
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 50 and the ZEL,  is on the short list, of the ones I'm considering. I've read a couple of posts regarding  broken handles and another about the wrong calibre brake, on a 50 upper. Those issues have me a little concerned. However,  other then those,  I can't find any other bad press on them.  What else have you heard regarding issues with their product?

Thank You
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank You

For me, that would be like lamborghini doors being known to fall off but saying its a good car. I get that every company has problems but the bolt area shouldnt be one of those spots. Thats just me and my thinking on it though.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:25:16 AM EDT
[#6]
remember this is a small company and    not S$W Ruger or other big manes in the gun world, they are trying new things to try and stay competitive. some things work and others do not work. Even the big names have issues. What is important is that they are willing to stand behind the product

Just because the company has a few problems doesn't mean it isn't a good company. if you look hard enough you will see everyone has had issues in the past and will continue to have minor issues as they develop products. a good company will stand behind what they sell.  So far Zel has stood behind this rifle.
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one of the original Zel uppers with several hundred rounds through it.  The only problem I've had with mine is finding a place to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
With the exception of the bolt handle the only other issue I have with the upper and it really not an issue with the upper. I have some API rounds that are not resized for tight chamber and the  zel has a tighter chamber so extraction is hard. But that is not a issue with the upper it is the ammo, so you have to be careful of the ammo you buy. My reloads have no issues.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been thinking about adding a T2.
Would you guys comment in what model you have, T1 vs T2, barrel length and type (ultralite, duty, match) and accuracy. I am also interested in knowing if the standard brake is good enough.

I have a Serbu BFG50A and is a very soft to shoot, considering is a fifty. But I am starting to want a bolt action w/magazine.

Thx
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a t1 with standard break and 32" barrel.  with my hand loads it ranges from not feeling it to be about same as 3" 12 ga shotgun. The api rounds I have  using unknown powder load of 220 GRS is very noticeable. Not bad but you know when it goes off. With all loads the standard breaks does kick up lot of dust and blowes things around.
I did take an old magazine and put jb weld on bottom of it then filled with led shot and then sealed it with more jb weld for added weight and fill the mag well.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
remember this is a small company and    not S$W Ruger or other big manes in the gun world, they are trying new things to try and stay competitive. some things work and others do not work. Even the big names have issues. What is important is that they are willing to stand behind the product

Just because the company has a few problems doesn't mean it isn't a good company. if you look hard enough you will see everyone has had issues in the past and will continue to have minor issues as they develop products. a good company will stand behind what they sell.  So far Zel has stood behind this rifle.
View Quote

I suppose when it comes to something that can kill you if it fails in the wrong way. I have to take note and caution of that companies name and product. Can you imagine if it was the lugs on the bolt that they just decide to "hey lets try this". Well you better then abuse that part to see what it takes to break that part now. So, yes I can blame a company for trying things if they dont test it really really good before going to production of that part or device. BTW if it had been the lugs. How happy would you be if the bolt blows through your shoulder. And you loose the use of your right arm? Sure you can sue them. But does that money really comp you for the loss of your arm?

Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:47:52 AM EDT
[#12]
This was was  an Important part it was not a safety issue. Every company and I mean every company has had issues when bringing products to market.
Zel is an entry level rifle and allowed  people to get startstarted in the 50 BMG game at a resonsble price.  There seames to be thought here if you not shooting top name rifle you have junk and should have saved up to afford the top names.  Just because they make entry level rifles doesn't mean junk and just because company is trying to keep cost down is not a bad thing. Yes things can happen but this is same for anything.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:39:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I hope thats not what you got out of my post. That Zel is junk. Not my intent. My intent is that no matter who makes a rifle. Thats NO one making a rifle will make a rifle without much testing for things like brittle metal or poor engineering. That the proto type will get lots of testing both non destructive and destructive testing. Even a little .22LR rifle can do damage. But when you get up in the larger caliber, there is NO Might do damage.

Hence my reason to say that broken parts, even bolt handles is not something I would be happy about. What else might they played with, without a good thorough testing. Sorry I just have a problem with a lasse faire attitude with something that could kill me.  Kind of like the GM cars and the keys turning the engine off. For all practical discussion. The people where using the car properly. No one said a few other keys on the ring would cause problems with the key switch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#14]
How do you know they didn't do thorough testing before going to market with it? How do you know that there wasn't a batch that didn't get treated correctly. Zel is a small company and I doubt they do every bit of work in house. It is more likely that the treatment was sent out to an out side source that could have screwed something up.

Why do you think things come with warranties? Things can happen
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:43:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow, ok why dont you ask yourself "How do I know that they do test every gun?" Again I say I am not attacking Zel exclusively. But at the same time. Why are you so touchy about Zel? Do you have some form of connection to Zel. Are they your employer? Are they a sponsor of yours. Do you have a relative that is gainfully employed by Zel?

I want you to note. I am going to try to meet you half way. But also realize that what good is a warranty if you loose the use of a hand, eye, arm or worse case your family looses you to a defective weapon? I really have to wonder why you are so adamant about this just being a fluke?

It appears that we have two totally different views on this subject. I am willing to agree to just disagree and let it go.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 7:31:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your life doesn't!
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
One of the things I definitely look for in a manufacturer is history and testing AND verification.

Armalite has good history, has extensively tested there stuff, you can look at their parts and tell they were heat treated
(the weird discoloration/surface "finish" of the reciever near the lockup portion,  Rockwell test marks, etc...)

The video Bluegrass armory put out years ago showing them firing their gun with the barrel filled with pipe plugs was impressive!.

My latest Serbu had Rockwell test marks in several places on each critical component.

These are things I personally look for.

I'll beta test a lot of things, but there are some things I want to have an extra sense of security about.

Disclaimer:
I don't know much about Zel, just because I've never looked in that direction,
they may have and do all those things. I do not own any Blugrass Armory products.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:58:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:34:22 AM EDT
[#19]
OMG was that Zel that put the wrong size brake on a 50?

Ifn so, then I recant and yes Zel is Junk!!!
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:48:01 AM EDT
[#20]
So far this company treated me right  and was the intent of this topic.
I have not gotten handle yet but only been a few days.

Why is everyone saying quality control needs to be better. Things happen from time to time, it is a fact of life.
And everyone saying what if you where hurt it is unacceptable. Well I was not and neither was the guy that had his break blown apart. Zell stood behind that issue as well. These uppers are strong. People can not go trough life scared because of what can happen. When I bought my new F150 off the showroom floor. After a few months of driving around the drivers side window dropped down unexpectedly because some bolts where not installed. That window falling down could have scared me and caused me to crash the truck and killing me. It didn't I just had ford fix it. The bolt handle is really no different.  The day it broke I was trying to sight in. I shot over 26 rounds.  If zel wanted to be nasty they could have said take off the scope and and other Accessories then send in the upper for repairs. This would have been very expensive in both wasted ammo and shipping. They chose to do the right thing and send new handle no questions asked.
I said over and over we all know things happen, it is a fact of life  the real test is how the company treats customer after the sale. So far zel has done the wright thing. I have seen lot of negative feedback about the entry level 50's  and I get feeling the additude is if you not shooting top of the  line gear you have junk.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How do you know they didn't do thorough testing before going to market with it? How do you know that there wasn't a batch that didn't get treated correctly. Zel is a small company and I doubt they do every bit of work in house. It is more likely that the treatment was sent out to an out side source that could have screwed something up.

View Quote

Heat treating is a very mature technology.  It should not have happened.  Your customer should never be your test/reliability lab.
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#23]
I do understand about testing new treatment. But how do we know they did not  test the new  treatment. And found it accostable. But the company contracted to preform work screwed up or changed something after the contract was signed. All I was told is they are no longer using the process. They may have dumped the company and found a new one that turns out better procuctd. We don't know all the details and never will. All I truly know from my experience is  the bolt broke and they where fast to respond and say sending out new one
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 3:03:58 PM EDT
[#24]
just for the handle in this afternoon and it went right together no issues  got to me in a total of 5 calender  days  from the day it broke  that is good  now I cna get back to trying to sight it in.
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 1:14:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I do understand about testing new treatment. But how do we know they did not  test the new  treatment. And found it accostable. But the company contracted to preform work screwed up or changed something after the contract was signed. All I was told is they are no longer using the process. They may have dumped the company and found a new one that turns out better procuctd. We don't know all the details and never will. All I truly know from my experience is  the bolt broke and they where fast to respond and say sending out new one
View Quote

What you said is nonsensical.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top