Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/25/2015 10:56:14 PM EDT
So I'm thinking about a new barrel for my 50. Does a 50 barrel differ much between shooting solids verses say the Amax? And how about chambers, I assume there are tighter chambers available compared to the factory guns designed to swallow as much as a Maduce. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm thinking about a new barrel for my 50. Does a 50 barrel differ much between shooting solids verses say the Amax? And how about chambers, I assume there are tighter chambers available compared to the factory guns designed to swallow as much as a Maduce. Thanks
View Quote

Yes, all those are considerelations!  ...and more, too.

The best answer is look at who is winning FCSA matches or setting records.
There will be a short list of barrel manufacturers you'll get from that.

From there give them a call and discuss your intentions on use, what action you're using,
etc...

OldmanFCSA here could probably give you current info.
What is the hot setup can change as things are learned
Or as barrel makers rise or fall off in abilities
Some smiths who do quality work get worse and some get better.

Be prepared for the real possibility of a long wait
(Over a year wouldn't suprise me for the top guys)
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#2]
What brand rifle?
Do you want a stock replacement barrel?
Do you want a longer barrel?
Do you want a bull barrel?
Do you want a muzzle brake change?
Do you want a Match Chamber?
Do you reload?
Do you want SS barrel?
How much do you want to spend
What is your timeframe?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
The make is Desert Tech
No I would like a custom barrel
Definitely a longer barrel. How long can you efficiently go? 40 would still be shorter than the Ar50.
Heavier the better in that chassis
A more effective is a must. Anything better than an Armalite or teludyne brake?
Would like a tighter chamber. What's available there. I do neck turn and would like to be tighter to not work the brass as much.
Yes I only reload for the 50's
I'd proly opt for stainless if I gave me better barrel life.
Also what needs to be done different to run solids verses Amax? I've tried them out of an Armalite and didn't have great results...
I've got time...
Thanks

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The make is Desert Tech
No I would like a custom barrel
Definitely a longer barrel. How long can you efficiently go? 40 would still be shorter than the Ar50.
Heavier the better in that chassis
A more effective is a must. Anything better than an Armalite or teludyne brake?
Would like a tighter chamber. What's available there. I do neck turn and would like to be tighter to not work the brass as much.
Yes I only reload for the 50's
I'd proly opt for stainless if I gave me better barrel life.
Also what needs to be done different to run solids verses Amax? I've tried them out of an Armalite and didn't have great results...
I've got time...
Thanks

View Quote

The longest ar50 barrel is 33" on the national match version unless they aren't listing the >40" one.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Never heard of a Desert Tech rifle, but did search for it  :  Desert Tech HTI, Base Price Is $7,239.25 Pick Your Options
This rifle will require sending back to manufacturer for re-barreling.
AR-50 barrels are 29" or 33" only if stock.
ArmaLite brake is very good - K&P is better but expensive and long lead time.
0.554" neck Diameter is tightest recommended.
Stainless will not give a better life.
I've shot under 5" c2c 5-shot groups with stock AR-50 barrel using 510-130's and 20N29
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:07:59 AM EDT
[#6]
5" groups at 1k is AWESOME!! I do pretty good with the AR50 but not quite that good. But I wouldn't rebarrel it until it wears out.
But the Desert Tech system allows one to switch barrels very quickly and retain zero per barrel. Basically I'd end up with 2 barrels for the same chassis. A fun barrel for milsurplus projectiles and one for the more accurate harder recoiling match bullets. And that's what I'd like to put a match barrel in and improve the brake as the original is designed to fit in a suppressor making it not so efficient. It can't currently use an AR50 brake since it is so short the shooter would be in the conclusion area. Where a 40 inch barrel might be long enough for that style of brake.
What are the favorite barrels now? And for chambers is there a standard match reamer or do those have to be custom made? I'll look into K&P as they specialize in in that. Do they have the same personnel after they moved?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]Quoted:
...I've shot under 5" c2c 5-shot groups with stock AR-50 barrel using 510-130's and 20N29
View Quote

Would you care to share your 20N29 load/velocity with the -130's?    PLEASE!!!!..?

I have a few boxes of those on the shelf and a fresh Ar-50 in the safe...  

PM me if you want
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#8]
IK-98 once-fired brass (fired in my AR-50 as surplus)
Primer pocket uniformed (K&M)
Flash hole reamed and chamfered (K&M)
Annealed neck & shoulder (homebuilt)
Resized in Hornady Full Length die
Trimmed to length (Gracey - prefer Giraud)
Neck-turned for even pull on bullet release (K&M)
Deburr and light polish with Scotch-Brite pad
Resized in Hornady Full Length die (Corrects run-out of neck)
Washed to remove sizing lube inside and out, Dry
Weight sort lightest to heaviest
Prime with CCI#35 using 2 steps (Arming the primer)
Graphite inside neck walls
Charge using funnel to eliminate removal of graphite
V. V. 20N29 - 235.0 grains +/- 0.1 grains
Weight sort projectiles heaviest to lightest
Heaviest projectile in Lightest casing
Seat Lehigh 510-130 800 grain hybrid 1/8" into case
Rear driving band still shows
Verify run-out is near zero
tap projectile lightly to center
re-check run-out as required
Stored as to prevent any damage
24 hours prior to shooting, place in styrofoam box
add chemical handwarmers (many to achieve 130 degrees)
Heated round minimizes temp changes between rounds fired.
Clean rifle barrel of any copper fouling, very light oiling after, wipe dry
Load rounds into rifle from lightest to heaviest to minimize change between rounds
carefully load loaded round into chamber and close bolt on heated round
careful ensures projectile is presented to bore as straight as possible
sight on your target using rests or sandbags
do not grip handgrip (imparts error on sighting)
Minimal cheek pressure that moves rifle
Pinch trigger between finger and thumb (minimal input to disrupt sighting)
BANG
repeat as necessary
Allow for environmental conditions upon sighting at distance

This is FCSA Match competitions - Is it for you ????????????????????

Edit - if anyone is wondering about charge weight, I've tried all the way up to 248 grains of same powder. 235 worked great with projectile and rifle as stock. I've been even higher with a specialty 800 grain projectile to point it was a compressed loading pushing projectile out of case while seating.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Huh the AR50 loves 235 grains behind the Amax too!!! And pushing it as far out of the case as you safely can. Lol.
Do you see a noticeable change in your SD's with the graphite necks vrs not. I have not tried that yet. I love the giraud for speed but the K&M trimmer puts a better bevel inside and out and I feel my chance for scuffing the bullet when seating is greatly diminished.

Is there any good reads anywhere on barrel comparisons, looking for info on what the competition guys are using these days for chambers and makers. I started digging through some VHP's but I'm missing a few. I need to 're-up too. And proly get digging through their site.
Thanks
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 11:17:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Come to our Alliance FCSA match June 12-14th. You will learn more than reading for 6 months.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 12:25:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to!!!!! Not possible for me to do any kind of match shooting from April through November:/ I primarily shoot from snow banks. I'd have to go to Australia to get any summer time shooting in. But then again they'd just put me to work there. Lol
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top