Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2015 12:08:38 PM EDT
Was sorting through some BMG ammo last week and found some that was spotless and other casings that were stained and a bit dirty/gummy.... None had corrosion spots.

An hour later I found myself cleaning them up with elbow grease and a clean rag.

How OCD are you when it comes to brass.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Just enough to get the spider nests out
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Are we talking for reloading or shooting? For reloading ya want it as clean as possible. Any bit of dirt will gall the die. For shooting i would just wipe them off with a towel and have when ive droped them in the dirt.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Most of it looks pretty good, gets tumbled twice per reloading
(Before sizing so no grit/rocks wind up in the die, then post-sizing to de-lube)

Most of it has 20+ loadings on it...

Its been tumbled more miles than you'll get out of a Toyota.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:56:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Couple hours in the sonic, couple hours in the tumbler, resize, trim, add primers, then stow away for when I am ready.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I dry tumble for several hours after resizing and primer the pocket work.  I like them as new looking as possible.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I dry tumble for several hours after resizing and the primer pocket work.  I like them as new looking as possible.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 1:14:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I de-cap then tumble in my Thumbler (stainless media, soap, lemy shine, water) for 90 minutes.  Shiny as new inside and out including primer pockets.  Cleaner brass sizes easy and with less lube.

Randy
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:07:54 PM EDT
[#9]
That stainless media sure is the way to go! Working with super clean cases is easier.

http://i1381.photobucket.com/albums/ah235/chad66/Mobile%20Uploads/IMAG0032_zps2o87rkg2.jpg
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:11:05 PM EDT
[#10]
I always try to get my brass as clean and shiny before sizing and d.capping the primer. You want to remove all dirt and grit before putting the brass in the sizing die. This will cut down on wear and tear on the dies
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:58:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I de-cap then tumble in my Thumbler (stainless media, soap, lemy shine, water) for 90 minutes.  Shiny as new inside and out including primer pockets.  Cleaner brass sizes easy and with less lube.

Randy
View Quote

Dittos even down to the Thumbler.  Except I don't deprime them first.  I like to manually clean the primer pockets.  But the brass always looks brand new.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top