Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/3/2015 2:28:01 AM EDT
I never thought I was a '.50 kind of guy', but I happened into a deal, and it just went sideways from there.  I bought a suppressor over a year ago, and all the planets recently lined up I was able to pick it up.  First, I have to say that I would never believed a .50 would be hearing safe.  Honestly, I'm not sure that it is, but it sure the hell sounds like it to my ears.  It's amazing shooting a .50 with no ear plugs.  It no longer feels like someone is throwing flash bangs in front of you when you shoot.  The recoil is a bit snappier, but the tradeoff is completely worth it.  Now I have to upgrade my optic, get some match cartridges, get a reloading press....FWIW, it's a Barrett M99 with an SWFA SS 10 power fixed, and an AAC suppressor.  I'm already wanting to upgrade to a proper optic.

I've got to say, if you ever thought you might want to do this, do it.  Really.  It's cool beyond words.

Link Posted: 3/3/2015 3:41:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice backstop, I have to use the neighbor's house.

Just kidding of course.

Are you sure you can safely shoot without ear protection ???

Where in AZ - I may be able to line you up with a friend that reloads his 50 - I taught him last year - he may Pay-It-Forward from Tucson, AZ. He shoots an AR-50NM.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 4:37:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 2:30:20 AM EDT
[#3]
It's near Sierra Vista.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#4]
You haven't enjoyed shooting a .50 until you shoot it suppressd

Link Posted: 3/12/2015 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not hearing safe, but enjoy it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:45:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I've heard the recoil is actually INCREASED.  My suppressed .308 saw recoil DECREASED.   Why does the .50 behave differently?  Or is it a matter of the Barrett brake being so efficient?

AAC Cyclops vs Barrett QDL?   Many recommend AAC and it sounds like you are happy.  Anyone have experience with both to offer a comparison?  (my use will be bolt gun, so semi auto compatibility is a moot point)

Link Posted: 3/13/2015 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The Barrett i shot that had a aac on it had a longer more of a pushing harder recoil. I didnt like it. But yea the brakes are very effective. Ive seen that barretts new suppressor has a mini brake on the end of it, probably to help with that wierd recoil of just a can.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 12:06:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The very first rifle I ever bought myself was an AR-50.

The reason?  It was the biggest baddest loudest most obnoxious thing that could be had without special paperwork.

I still enjoy the latest one I got (sell them off to friends around 8000 rounds) just as much as the first.

There is a personal "art" to putting myself in a state of mind
where no flinch is possible, the blast is faint, concentration its fullest, time the heartbeat, see the wind, make the shot.

With a supressor, between the increased recoil and the lack of Earth shattering kaboom
I would feel cheated.  Gypped.  Paid extra for less.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've heard the recoil is actually INCREASED.  My suppressed .308 saw recoil DECREASED.   Why does the .50 behave differently?  Or is it a matter of the Barrett brake being so efficient?
View Quote

I think if most 308's had brakes before the suppressor went on, people would say recoil went up too... but I'm guessing.  My recoil went up, I can say that for sure.  My scope took a core sample of my forehead last weekend.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 1:45:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Suppressed my Barrett with a AWC can...it worked well but it was expensive.
Link Posted: 3/14/2015 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a 50 can for my Ferret 50 and to be honest I like shooting without the can.  So much so I have debated selling the can.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 4:09:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I sold my 99 before there were many options and got a 82 which I was told could be damaged by suppressor use. Now that Barrett uses factory cans on their semi auto guns I would like to shoot one. Would really like to try something like the Serbu Auto tuned to be shot with a can. Bet it would be sweet.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I sold my 99 before there were many options and got a 82 which I was told could be damaged by suppressor use. Now that Barrett uses factory cans on their semi auto guns I would like to shoot one. Would really like to try something like the Serbu Auto tuned to be shot with a can. Bet it would be sweet.
View Quote

I don't know if the Serbu semi would be a better candidate than the M107,  because the Barrett's barrel isn't fixed, thus likely to help reduce the percieved recoil.
But I may get a chance to find out:

A friend of mine is an 07FFL, and he's interested in working one up for the BFG-50A.
I think the order for his CNC mill (to make the baffles) happens this week.

My BFG-50A would be the guinnea pig for testing out different iterations...

It wouldn't be this week or this month, but we might have something neat to show this year sometime.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know if the Serbu semi would be a better candidate than the M107,  because the Barrett's barrel isn't fixed, thus likely to help reduce the percieved recoil.

A friend of mine is an 07FFL, and he's interested in working one up for the BFG-50A.

It wouldn't be this week or this month, but we might have something neat to show this year sometime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no doubt it would recoil a little less but the barrel movement was always weird to me. While it softened the recoil the extra gun movement took a while to get used to.

All these new cans with anchor brakes on them makes me think they are on to something. Wish there were some real numbers on can vs brake side by side.
Link Posted: 3/15/2015 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I never thought I was a '.50 kind of guy', but I happened into a deal, and it just went sideways from there.  I bought a suppressor over a year ago, and all the planets recently lined up I was able to pick it up.  First, I have to say that I would never believed a .50 would be hearing safe.  Honestly, I'm not sure that it is, but it sure the hell sounds like it to my ears.  It's amazing shooting a .50 with no ear plugs.  It no longer feels like someone is throwing flash bangs in front of you when you shoot.  The recoil is a bit snappier, but the tradeoff is completely worth it.  Now I have to upgrade my optic, get some match cartridges, get a reloading press....FWIW, it's a Barrett M99 with an SWFA SS 10 power fixed, and an AAC suppressor.  I'm already wanting to upgrade to a proper optic.

I've got to say, if you ever thought you might want to do this, do it.  Really.  It's cool beyond words.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e200/eodinert/guns/4a1cd6d5-e212-44af-9d0d-9f6b41c1d194_zpsrc9lqy9y.jpg
View Quote

So if you could compare the noise level, would it be like a .22 out of rifle or .22 out of pistol.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:12:27 AM EDT
[#16]
It's not as quiet as a .22... It's hard to quantify sound, short of a meter, but it's amazing to stand behind someone shooting a .50 and not get blasted by a shockwave and assaulted by the sound... It's crazy, I tell ya... all of that hate and discontent being captured inside of that can.
Link Posted: 3/16/2015 3:14:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have no doubt it would recoil a little less but the barrel movement was always weird to me. While it softened the recoil the extra gun movement took a while to get used to.

All these new cans with anchor brakes on them makes me think they are on to something. Wish there were some real numbers on can vs brake side by side.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its been more than a decade since I've shot an M82
and I do remember the extra movement...

but likewise,  even being a right-handed shooter, the charging handle on the BFG-50A reciprocating
out of the corner of my eye took a little getting used to.

Suppressing a 50 has challenges that are different, and on a different scale, than other cartridges.

To me, and apparently others, recoil is significant enough with full power loads to be a concern.

The amount of gas that has to be cooled -with plenty of still burning powder in it- is a challenge too.

I've got a few approaches to this I'd like to try, and the FFL I'd be working with is an engineer I've done some
weapons/military/testing stuff with, I'm thinking he has some ideas too.

I do think -if the recoil could be tamed to what I'd like- the 50A would be the way to go
For all the reasons that make it a newer/simpler/lighter design than the 82/M107 guns.

And with all that being said (and referring to my first post in this thread) I'm not a huge fan of a supressed '50 for my own (silly?) reasons
but I do see the uses for one, especially from a signature reducing point of view.
The amount of drama a shot makes can be seen from a long way.

Link Posted: 3/16/2015 8:22:57 AM EDT
[#18]
One of the reasons I stopped shooting my 50's was the concussion. It was great for a new shooter who had never experienced it but when I wanted to go shoot 40-50 rounds I just would get annoyed. It's been long enough I'm thinking about picking up another 50 but I think this one will be suppressed.
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 7:31:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

AAC Cyclops vs Barrett QDL?   Many recommend AAC and it sounds like you are happy.  Anyone have experience with both to offer a comparison?  (my use will be bolt gun, so semi auto compatibility is a moot point)

View Quote
I have a M99 and one day would like to add the Barrett suppressor to it.  I shot a M107 suppressed a few years back and it had less recoil than my M99.  Definitely a huge reduction in concussion to your face.  The Barrett suppressor also has a 4-port brake on the front which may also be helping with recoil.

Link Posted: 3/19/2015 3:40:29 AM EDT
[#20]
It's counter-intuitive to me that a brake on the end of a suppressor would mitigate any recoil at all.... but enough people are doing it now that I would imagine it works.
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:07:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's counter-intuitive to me that a brake on the end of a suppressor would mitigate any recoil at all.... but enough people are doing it now that I would imagine it works.
View Quote

I agree it is a poor bandaid.

Well, when you think about it, what makes a brake work well?

High pressure gas (density increased by pressure) at high velocity (high energy in a specific direction) striking the port walls as it expands out them.
This redirects the gas in a different direction imparting some of that energy into the brake.  

By the time the gases make it out the front of a supressor it has slowed (less energy) and cooled (less pressure/density) a lot
-because that's what a supressor does to do what it do!-

So, yeah, I'm sure it does SOMETHING more than nothing, and apparently every little bit helps,
but physics tells me it is a compromise (most things are) and maybe not the best solution...
Link Posted: 3/19/2015 8:20:11 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't know that it's a band aid. Keep in mind the suppressor itself acts as a brake as well so it basically has two brakes. While I am sure the brake on the end of the can by itself is not as effective as a stand alone brake the question we need to ask is whether the combination of both come close.

I really hope Silencerco makes a 50bmg Harvester that is as competitively priced as its siblings in 308 and 338.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 7:27:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Recoil is simply conservation of momentum at play. Reduce the velocity of the gases exiting, and the equal but opposite reaction (recoil) is reduced.
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 6:44:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Except that the purpose of a suppressor is to reduce the velocity of gasses coming out of the barrel, so there shouldn't be much velocity left by the time that it gets to that point...and the majority of the recoil is from the mass of the bullet accelerating, not the mass of the gasses accelerating...
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:12:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Except that the purpose of a suppressor is to reduce the velocity of gasses coming out of the barrel, so there shouldn't be much velocity left by the time that it gets to that point...and the majority of the recoil is from the mass of the bullet accelerating, not the mass of the gasses accelerating...
View Quote

I have never heard that before regarding the majority of recoil being from the bullet. As for their not being much pressure left after the can do you have measurements? These things are frequently over 50 thousand psi so I figured there still has to be a decent amount with as much powder as they are burning. Not like a little rifle cartridge that is fully burned in 20-24".
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 7:27:54 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

View Quote

I recently shot my TAC-50 with the Cyclops for the first time.  Recoil was DEFINITELY increased vs. with the muzzle brake.  So much so that I may sell the Cyclops.  Call me a wuss, but it was comfortable to shoot with the brake, not comfortable with the suppressor.

The other option is to upgrade to the Rev.2 stock, which features a hydraulic recoil mitigation system that supposedly works really well.  Unfortunately, it costs $2500.

Link Posted: 3/23/2015 9:26:03 AM EDT
[#27]
If i ever got a can for the 50 i think i would only shoot subs threw it. It amazes me the energy that round has even at subsonuc speeds
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If i ever got a can for the 50 i think i would only shoot subs threw it. It amazes me the energy that round has even at subsonuc speeds
View Quote

It is pretty awesome but seems like such a waste. Thinking about a 510 whisper barrel for my Encore
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most 50 bmg barrels are 1:15 twist that's too slow for stable sub rounds through a can, not saying it cant be done but it could be a spendy
baffle strike.
I have a 510 Whisper and 50AK both with 1:10 twist for stable accurate subsonic pills.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 3:51:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I recently shot my TAC-50 with the Cyclops for the first time.  Recoil was DEFINITELY increased vs. with the muzzle brake.  So much so that I may sell the Cyclops.  Call me a wuss, but it was comfortable to shoot with the brake, not comfortable with the suppressor.

The other option is to upgrade to the Rev.2 stock, which features a hydraulic recoil mitigation system that supposedly works really well.  Unfortunately, it costs $2500.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...and, if you put a recoiling stock on there, you'll be limited on optics.
A 50 can bite, I don't know I'd opt for one with extra travel.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't really think of that.  The scope that's on there now (Leupold 20X fixed) has 'limited' eye relief.

Link Posted: 4/3/2015 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody ever compare the Barrett can vs the AAC Cyclops on a M107A1?

Mike
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top