Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 2/4/2015 9:42:33 PM EDT
I am looking at this pulldown powder. The seller say it is similar to current H50BMG

Has anyone used this powder?  

I am using h50bmg  with a charge of 200 grs. Under 647 gr m33 ball bullets
Will this same load be good with imr5010?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:32:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am looking at this pulldown powder. The seller say it is similar to current H50BMG

Has anyone used this powder?  

I am using h50bmg  with a charge of 200 grs. Under 647 gr m33 ball bullets
Will this same load be good with imr5010?
View Quote

Depends.

I know that there is a powder burn rate chart out on the web that can compare the two different powders.

I used to have the info but my HD crashed with that information recently.

I know what my loads need to be and the COL. What you may want might be different.

Need your barrel length too.

Off of the top of my head, I think I was using 213 grains of powder but I can`t tell you what the COL needs to be.

Working on it.

ETA,

Found it. 5.43" Max length. Speed was 2725 out of a 30" barrel.

This load works in semi and single shot rifles.

Work up your loads accordingly. The 50 cartridge is like a grenade in front of your face. Don`t take my word for it.

Link Posted: 2/5/2015 3:06:18 AM EDT
[#2]
There is two main burn rates for Virgin H5010 with the latest being about 10% HOTTER than the first, then pull-down adds a whole new wrinkle to the plan.

All of it is hotter than H50BMG. With H50BMG I've used up to 245 grains with the 650 grain Lehigh 510-120 solid brass ball.

With the 695 AP, I use 225 grains max of Early Virgin H5010 = I know, apples and oranges for requested data, but my experiences.

I will be developing a load for 647 API soon using the Virgin H5010, expect to be in the 230-235 grain range with my older lot of powder.

Do your research on powder levels.
Don't accept data as gospel - not even mine.
Verify against several sources.

I've used loading's that would damage some guns, but got away with it due to un-published details.

HAVE FUN, BE SAFE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Ive never used it but wouldnt feel skiddish doing a test round at 200 and chronographing it to find out where its at.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I will never use or purchase another "pull down" powder.  When I first started loading for my 50 I picked up 16 lbs of WC 860 and the velocities were all over the place.  I even winnowed the dust out of it in front of a fan to try and make it useful. I still had over 200 FPS variation.  I ended up burning the rest of it in my burn barrel. I don't mind surplus but pull down never again.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 8:37:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I will never use or purchase another "pull down" powder.  When I first started loading for my 50 I picked up 16 lbs of WC 860 and the velocities were all over the place.  I even winnowed the dust out of it in front of a fan to try and make it useful. I still had over 200 FPS variation.  I ended up burning the rest of it in my burn barrel. I don't mind surplus but pull down never again.
View Quote

Hard to tell anymore, what is pulldown and what is virgin.

I always ask but sometimes, the answers I get are vague.

I can understand where you are coming from.

I do know this much, any powder that I buy, I start low, and work up.

I think that even the military ammo makers usually adjust their charges by the results that they are getting from the powder that they are supplied with.

Caveat emptor?

Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:51:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I am thinking about this powder because it is considerably cheaper then h50bmg. For most part this is going to be very short range play ammo. Nothing past 100 yards.  I save the good stuff when I century get to the farms where I can take long range shots.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
I am thinking about this powder because it is considerably cheaper then h50bmg. For most part this is going to be very short range play ammo. Nothing past 100 yards.  I save the good stuff when I century get to the farms where I can take long range shots.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm using some 5010 that I bought several years ago from Wideners.  Bought 3 eight pound jugs.  It was pull down.  I'm running 217 grains under those same projectiles and API's in an AR-50.  Can't remember off the top of my head the exact length.
Link Posted: 2/7/2015 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top