Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/22/2015 8:05:21 PM EDT
Do any folks here have lower back problems and still shoot the .50?

Is the rifle too much now for you and cause you pain to shoot one from a seated position at a bench?

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#1]
None of my 50s have ever related to any back problem and I shoot both flint and percussion.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you have any lower back problems due to age, a prior injury or some such thing?

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:45:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I broke my back in 2009 in an offroad motorcycle accident.
Last July 2014, I decided to give up riding offroad as a 62 yr old rider with leg circulation issues due to a farming accident.
Now my main sport is shooting the 50BMG in FCSA Match competitions and for "rock-busting" for fun.
My modified AR-50 now weighs 47.76 pounds and does nothing to hurt my back while shooting 800 grain projectiles over 2900 fps.

What's your problem ???
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I had spinal fusion back in January 2007 and it seemed to take forever to recover from it.  I've got metal rods on both sides of my spine that are about 8 or 9 inches long.  While it kicked my butt for quite some time but shooting the 50 BMG does not cause me any trouble whatsoever. I'm really thinkfull for that being able to enjoy my rifle at this point.  Setting at the shooting bench does not cause me any pain at all.  My rifle weighs 29 lbs with the scope and as long as I take care to lift it properly there is no problem at all. The recoil while setting at the bench is painless. I wouldn't chose to shoot from the prone position however..  

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:14:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My modified AR-50 now weighs 47.76 pounds and does nothing to hurt my back while shooting 800 grain projectiles over 2900 fps.

What's your problem ???
View Quote

I have found that the more a .50 weighs, the "easier" it is on the shooter. The Armalite .50 was the heaviest .50 I have fired and was actually pleasant to shoot. I don`t have one. Mine is much lighter.

Have a friend who has had back surgery about a year ago. The individual spent a LOT of money on the repair and I would absolutely be miserable, if I was the one who un-did all of the repair by taking this person out on a range with a large caliber rifle. Saw them a couple of days ago and every time that they got up from a chair, were sort of bent over grabbing their lower back.

Just looking for others experiences with back problems and who still try to enjoy the big bore.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I had spinal fusion back in January 2007 and it seemed to take forever to recover from it.  I've got metal rods on both sides of my spine that are about 8 or 9 inches long.  While it kicked my butt for quite some time but shooting the 50 BMG does not cause me any trouble whatsoever. I'm really thinkfull for that being able to enjoy my rifle at this point.  Setting at the shooting bench does not cause me any pain at all.  My rifle weighs 29 lbs with the scope and as long as I take care to lift it properly there is no problem at all. The recoil while setting at the bench is painless. I wouldn't chose to shoot from the prone position however..  

View Quote

I think my friend had a lower disc spinal fusion.

That is why I am curious to ask about this subject.

Thanks to EVERYONE who has responded so far! I really appreciate it!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Add weight to the light rifle to minimize the recoil felt pulse.
Weight can be bolted to stock, not to the action.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#8]
«=== 4 lumbar fusions and still have a blown disk above that. The worst part for me is carrying the damn thing.

Eta. In case some of you have never seen the shit they put in use fusion guys here ya go.  Notice one of the stainless screws broke....while in my back. Yea
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:49:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
«=== 4 lumbar fusions and still have a blown disk above that. The worst part for me is carrying the damn thing.

Eta. In case some of you have never seen the shit they put in use fusion guys here ya go.  Notice one of the stainless screws broke....while in my back. Yea
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/ARsR4ME/20150122_231330_zps549fa52f.jpg
View Quote

Knowing something like that is used to fix back problems is enough to make me cringe. I can't imagine what it felt like to have that screw break inside you. Can you take a picture with a US coin next to them for scale?
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#10]
OP, if im hijacking your thread just tell me and I'll quit with the hardware stuff.

Here is that pic you wanted Bandito. I Threw in a 50 bmg shell and a 223 case for scale to. The stainless hardware is known as a plate and screws type, the titanium set is known as a rod and screw type.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:51:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Man!

That hardware looks like something out of a Horror movie!

I am cringing too.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#12]
When I woke up in recovery I was in more pain than I had ever felt before.  The next 4 months of recovery were terrible but with the help of pain meds that suck I got through it.  I had to be very careful about not slipping on the ice and breaking a screw like the above poster.  I count myself as very lucky that I can now enjoy shooting without any problems.  I do suggest your friend give it time to heal properly.  Don't ever let him shoot a 50 BMG without it's muzzle brake on the barrel. Of course that is just common sense.  Something our president is pretty short of.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 11:59:19 PM EDT
[#13]
I had L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 fused in 2011. Had all hardware removed last year. Back is still not right so still doing different procedures . Ablasion (burn nurves), steroid shots and now trying accupunction . I still shoot my 50 BMG. Mine is heavy. Hurts more to carry it than shoot it. I shoot on a bench. I may be in pain after I shoot but the enjoyment of shooting is worth it. Just have a good shooting position that is supportive and comfortable. Ask for help getting it to the bench if need be. One of the few things left that puts a smile on my face. I will suck it up as it's worth it.

Dam, that's hardware looks similar to mine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:06:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Back pain sucks and haunts so many of us.  I think many of us are preyed upon by doctors that love to install lots of expensive hardware.  I hate the meds I have to take to function and agree with you Bearcat24.  It's such a joy to ring that gong several hundred yards away with the 50 and other calibers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I had L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1 fused in 2011. Had all hardware removed last year. Back is still not right so still doing different procedures . Ablasion (burn nurves), steroid shots and now trying accupunction . I still shoot my 50 BMG. Mine is heavy. Hurts more to carry it than shoot it. I shoot on a bench. I may be in pain after I shoot but the enjoyment of shooting is worth it. Just have a good shooting position that is supportive and comfortable. Ask for help getting it to the bench if need be. One of the few things left that puts a smile on my face. I will suck it up as it's worth it.

View Quote

Man we seem like we have been threw the same shit. I did the nerve burn. Not sure its helped much. The shots only work for a day or so and it just wasnt worth it for me. Never tried the needle thing. Im going to go back to Baylor next month and see whats out there. The last MRI showed a big buldge at L2-L3 and a slight one above that. The last surgery dam near did me in. They gave the the juice for pain for a day and then the same pills i was takeing before i came in. :/ It was as if i was takeing nothing. 5 days of the worst days of my life. But im getting to that point again of not being able to walk 5 mi utes or stand and really, im just tired of the pain. Hearing that gong is a nice break, even if we are in bed the next day huh.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 2:17:18 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Man we seem like we have been threw the same shit. I did the nerve burn. Not sure its helped much. The shots only work for a day or so and it just wasnt worth it for me. Never tried the needle thing. Im going to go back to Baylor next month and see whats out there. The last MRI showed a big buldge at L2-L3 and a slight one above that. The last surgery dam near did me in. They gave the the juice for pain for a day and then the same pills i was takeing before i came in. :/ It was as if i was takeing nothing. 5 days of the worst days of my life. But im getting to that point again of not being able to walk 5 mi utes or stand and really, im just tired of the pain. Hearing that gong is a nice break, even if we are in bed the next day huh.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small world, when I woke up in recovery after so many years taking morphine it didn't work and my blood pressure was so high my wife thought I was going to stroke out.  The idea of more surgery scares me to death. My mother and sister had the same spinal fusion.  You would think I would have learned from their lousy outcome. Oh well live for the good days at the bench.  I'm lucky because I live in the country and can shoot from my front yard.  
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:58:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:34:44 AM EDT
[#18]
I have no recollection the first 4 days out of surgery. They over medicated me. Wife and brother thought they fried my brain. They both got ahold of the doc's and demanded to reduce the meds. Woke up finally. 6 more days of crap in order to leave. I have the disc above about ready to go but won't be getting that done unless and I can't walk like before first surgery. Would think by now there would be better options besides fusion. Definitely last resort to have it done thought. Sold most things that aggravated my back. On my last thing that makes me smile. Will keep it and suck it up. Way to much joy.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:39:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Wow. Sounds like alot of us are on the same bad back boat. We should start a gimped up back 50 club.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Wow. Sounds like alot of us are on the same bad back boat. We should start a gimped up back 50 club.
View Quote

Probably the broke dick 50 BMG club!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 6:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Those look bigger around than drywall screws. I'd think the vertebrae would break while putting them in. Maybe they are bigger than I think. I had too look up x-ray pictures to see how they are installed. That wasn't the best idea.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top