Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2014 1:44:09 AM EDT
Trying to figure out what rings to get for my rifle.

Unfortunately I do not have a lot variety available to "try" & based on the cost of a good set, I don't want to buy any more than I have to.

What height is everyone using?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:16:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trying to figure out what rings to get for my rifle.

Unfortunately I do not have a lot variety available to "try" & based on the cost of a good set, I don't want to buy any more than I have to.

What height is everyone using?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
View Quote

You need to start with, as a baseline, how big your objective is + scope caps (if you use them). you'll need enough height to clear the bell over the rail/rifle.

If would help if you told us the exact scope model.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:05:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:32:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Use a cheek rest made by Martin List for AR50's.
Its use will allow for low to medium rings to be used.
When bolt is retracted the cheek rest lifts upwards out of way automatically.

Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:35:55 AM EDT
[#4]

I do not have Martin's cheek so you can see how high my scope sets. I do have a low cheekbone that requires a higher scope mount.

Pic is a setup to shoot from inside my reloading trailer.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:27:50 AM EDT
[#5]
I am using Badger high rings. They are almost too low, but still allow the bolt to clear the cheek rest.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The AR-50 is another beast all together, unless Armalite has changed the cheekrest on the rifle, you'll have to do one of two things. The top edge of the cheekrest will hit the bolt handle if you adjust the cheekrest down to far when adjusting for scope alignment. So if Armalite hasn't done this for newer rifles you'll have to cut about 1/4" off the side or buy super high rings So that everything clears.

You would think that after all these years, Armalite would've done this mod to all the newer rifles leaving the shop. Maybe they'll read this and start doing it on all the new rifles being built. I have about 1/2" or more under the Bell of my scope and it has à 56mm bell. I suppose I could modify it myself but haven't had the time or felt like having to redo everything once I mod it. Something to think about before buying your rings, mod it first and the buy rings that will get it closer to the bore.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 5:21:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I am looking at a Nightforce NXS with 56mm objective & 30mm tube.

I am still waiting to purchase the scope.
I figured I could buy all at the same time if possible.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:28:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Night Force have a nice set of rings. Those are my rings and I am using the adjustable base by Barett.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 9:28:46 PM EDT
[#10]
The Leupold super high rings are 1.4".

Night Force high rings are 1.125"  & extra high are 1.375" & X-treme height are 1.5"

Now we are getting somewhere....
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am just an high school grad. Maybe one of them college guys could chime in here on this . It is my contention that the higher the scope is from the rifle barrel. The more whip the scope will receive during recoil. Am I barking up the wrong tree learned men?
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with these.... http://swfa.com/Seekins-Precision-Scope-30mm-Rings-P47914.aspx . Scope haven't moved yet. They work fine but wish I went with the high ones.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Well I bit the bullet & got the Nightforce NXS 8-32x56 scope & extra high rings.

The cost of the gun is only a fraction of the total investment.
The scope, mounts & the reloading equipment/supplies far exceeded the cost of the rifle.

Hopefully I don't regret any of my decisions.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:26:43 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a Nightforce NXS 8-32X56 scope for my 50 BMG  from Schryver gun sales one of our sponsors here. I purchased the Nightforce superlight ¾ tall rings and it fits just fine. The rings cost me $160 if I remember correctly but you don’t have to lap them or worry about them messing up the 30mm scope. For how much the Nightforce scopes cost I think it’s best to stick with their rings or a good set of Tally rings like they suggest.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top