Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 11/29/2014 1:50:57 PM EDT
I recently ordered a Big Bertha 50BMG from East Ridge Gun Co in Wisconsin. I saw some older posts from here when I googled East Ridge Gun Co. I am very excited, I should get it in late March.
I, being new to this, was wondering if any of you could tell me the advantages of getting the 20 MOA rail and also the Stainless or Fluted Barrel.
I am new at this, so any help would be appreciated.
By the way, Larry at East Ridge is a great guy.
Thank you for any help.

Link Posted: 11/29/2014 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Hello Cowboybuck and welcome to the site and the hobby.  The 20 MOA rail will raise your scope high enough so that you have enough adjustment in your scope to make very long shots.  The fluted barrel will help bring the weight of the rifle down and speed barrel cooling.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 5:16:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you guys for the welcome and for clearing up the rail and barrel questions. I am going to call and have the 20 MOA rail instead. I haven't picked out a scope yet, I'm leaning toward Leupold or NightForce. However I'm not sure about the magnification yet. I did some research before I ordered the Big Bertha and found only positive things about East Ridge. Larry is a very nice guy also.
Thanks again, if you have any scope advice, I'd be glad to hear it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 8:23:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I am familiar with the Night Force line of scopes to a degree. My views will be cheered and jeered. I lean towards the benchrest series, but can see some of those who like the NXS series. The advantages of the Benchrest is that it is 1/8" clicks This is helpful for those 1000 yrd shots where each click is now 1.25" and about 5 to 6 hundred cheaper My 8X32X56 scope is about $1200.00. Now some of the advantages of the NXS is that the parallax adjustment is at the side of the scope. Left of the windage knob. Where as on the benchrest series its at the front of the scope. Some say that this is hard to do. As you can see I must have long arms. Also the NXS series is .25" clicks, so you get more elevation and windage range of adjustment that the B.R. series. But also note that at 1000 yrd each click is 2.5". And I am not sure what this same specs in a NXS would cost but I would be safe to say at least $1700.00 dollars.

So, you have to decide if you go with N.F. scopes what is the advantage of the NXS versus the BR series. BTW when I talked to those who prefer the NXS scopes, why? The answer I got was the ability to rapidly shift the parallax to see the mirage that helps read the air currents for shooting matches.
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#5]
...when I talked to those who prefer the NXS scopes, why? The answer I got was
View Quote

I have both the NXS and the Benchrest Nightforces,
the two big differences (to me) are:

1) BR has covered turrets. Great for hunting and benchrest work.
NXS has exposed "tactical" turrets (and Max Paul already mentioned the graduation differences)

2) NXS has considerably more eye relief.
Benchrest is fine on an AR50, a lightweight 50? NO WAY!

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 12:47:53 AM EDT
[#6]
That is one of my big concerns, is will it stand up to the 50 BMG impact. For that kind of money, I want something that will last at least a few years.
Do you guys prefer MOA adjustment or Mils? I think I want MOA, is that smart?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 1:33:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 8:31:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I can't wait to watch those rounds fly. I have a range were I can shoot out to 1,500 yards. I think I should stick with MOA, I understand it better. At least to start with. Are the Leupolds out of the question then? I noticed everyone leaning toward the NightForce.
What are you guys favorite magnification for 1000 yard shooting?
I know I will have to work up to that, but 1000 or maybe more occasionally farther is what I'm after in the long run.
Thank you all for the help, I really appreciate it.
I'm also plan on joining the FCSA.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 2:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:54:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the help.
I have just two more questions, well for now anyway.
Do you use something like 3-12x50 or what max power?
What distance do you zero your 50 at?
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:00:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I use leupold 8.5X25X50's on both of my rifles, one on an AR-50 and the other on my State Arms Shorty. Both have held up very well with no failures, and over 7000 rounds combined.

NightForce are built stronger, weigh more, and have finer crosshairs for better sighting on 3"White Square at 1000 yards.

A 20 minute base is desired, and twist Larry's arm for one made from steel in a picatinny format. Mine is 30 minute steel and a bit too much angle as my lowest range bis 225 yards with scope bottomed out.

More later - send me a PM - where in WI do other 50BMG shooters live?
I'm trying to get a FCSA Sanctioned range in Michigan approved for next year.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:10:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

NXS has exposed "tactical" turrets (and Max Paul already mentioned the graduation differences)

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
...when I talked to those who prefer the NXS scopes, why? The answer I got was

Very good, thanks PugglePod for bringing up other points
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:26:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you all. You've been really helpful.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I'll through my two bits worth in here also.  I went with the AR upper type of 50 BMG several years ago and what I saved I spent on the Nightforce NXS 8-32 and later sent it in to have a zero stop installed.  Man I love that scope.  I have no complaints about it.  Also I have several Leupold scopes and they have great warranty and customer service.  I once sent a 30 year old Leupold scope in that had adjustment problems and they sent me a brand new VXIII just like it to replace it.  You can't go wrong with ether.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:20:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll through my two bits worth in here also.  I went with the AR upper type of 50 BMG several years ago and what I saved I spent on the Nightforce NXS 8-32 and later sent it in to have a zero stop installed.  Man I love that scope.  I have no complaints about it.  Also I have several Leupold scopes and they have great warranty and customer service.  I once sent a 30 year old Leupold scope in that had adjustment problems and they sent me a brand new VXIII just like it to replace it.  You can't go wrong with ether.
View Quote

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 10:48:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a State Arms Competitior with a Nightforce nxs 5x22 NPR2 reticle.  For 1000 yds. I use 16 power. Definitely get the 20 moa rail from Larry. You are going to love your rifle. Join the FCSA, it's well worth the price.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 11:50:05 AM EDT
[#18]
My State Arms SHORTY is real short now.

After about 3600 rounds thru the barrel, and resulting very poor accuracy, barrel inspection showed the first 11" of barrel to have virtually no rifling left in it. Looks like a smooth-bore except you can see where the rifling was by color only.
I cut off 11" of chamber end and rechambered and re-threaded for the action.
I cut-down the threads on the end and installed a more efficient AR-50 muzzle brake.
Results were encouraging, 1 ragged hole cloverleafs were happening again at 100 yards (only range we shot).

(small brake cylinder hone is to correct a small burr where a chip got between chamber reamer and chamber on final pass)

I have a new 35" chrome-moly Feddersen barrel for when I am done playing with this one. I will use same action and AR brake, but mount in a Manners carbon-fiber-graphite benchrest stock that was given to me.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top