Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/8/2014 7:58:07 PM EDT
Looking to do some reloading & would like to hear any experience with reloads using these projectiles.

Do they typically group better at the upper end of their design velocity, or seem to work better a little slower?

Just want to get some experiences so I'm not chasing my tail from 1 extreme to another.
With 223, I typically load 10 of each & chrono/group a bunch in .1gr increments.
Due to cost & potential bodily punishment shooting a hundred rounds, I though I would get some advice to get a little closer upfront.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:24:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 9:31:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Everything 50 Shooter said.   You also will want to separate your bullets by weight as surplus bullets vary in weight quite a bit.   I use 212 grains of WC867, and that's max in my AR50, behind API's getting me an MV in the low to mid 2700's.   When the barrel is at the right temp, I can cover four shots with a half dollar @ 100 yds.  Not bad for surplus bullets.   I keep my chrono about twelve feet from the muzzle.  I see you're from PA...where about?
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the help guys...

Just getting all my components at the moment & want to be prepared.

I've reloaded for years, but never any 50 BMG.
Unfortunately the tools I have are too small for this cartridge.

Would it be safe to assume that I could start with an initial load of 200gr. (not sure where to start since I have WC870)  & load some single rounds, increasing until I get approx. 2500fps?
Then shoot groups at 2gr intervals & see what works?
Does this seem reasonable?

Kalashnikov762, I'm located just south of Pittsburgh, PA
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Starting at 210 grains and working up with your powder with API's is fine. I agree that weighing and sorting the API's helps accuracy. The API's  can vary in weight from 643 up to 649 or so and the boat tail base shapes and tips vary. Best accuracy in my rifle by far was when velocity was in the high 2600's and low 2700 fps range. Seated overall lengths will vary also due to tip shapes. Some are more rounded while some are more pointed and my overall length with API or Ball is  about 5.430" with maximum at 5.450".  Depending on your powder lot and rifle I'd expect only 2300-2400 fps at 200 grains and velocity will get in expected ranges at 215 and higher loads. Work up in 3-5 grain increments watching for pressure signs and best accuracy. Closely inspect inside fired cases for signs of stretching.  Have fun.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 10:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I just got my brass today & sorted everything by head stamp.

Still waiting on my projectiles.
I'll sort them next.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top