Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/26/2014 2:43:28 AM EDT
Some of you may have seen my recent post in the Survival Ops thread about FM.

I've had some ammo from FM for a while now. 80 rounds of used brass API to be exact. After coming across a round from Survival that wouldn't let me close the bolt, I have a tendency to check reman ammo now. That round measured at 3.912 for the brass. Two-thousandths of an inch over what the specs call for when talking about maximum brass length. When measuring, I check in multiple spots. Sometimes they'll be 3.907 in one spot and 3.913 in another for example. Others might be 3.911 all the way around. I had to send 30 rounds back because it was too long. Of the 30 I got back, 10 are too long. I also got 20 AMAX rounds from them. They are new though. In fact, it looks like they got them from Hornady and put them in their own boxes.

I'd like to know if this problem exists with other rounds such as AP, ball, incendiary, etc in both new and used brass. I assume the new brass won't have problems. If you are able to check, please report your findings here. I'd also like to know what others think of this problem.

FWIW, I'm using the ammo in a Barrett 99.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been using them for several years.  I used to recommend them.  I have shot thousands of their 9mm, 40, 45 ACP, 5.56, and 308..  I no longer recommend them.  I do not have experience with your caliber, but here is my two cents on my most recent experience,

I have had issues with their 300 blackout.  Amax 208 gr and 150 gr fmj.  Cases cut too long, resized improperly, rounds not seated properly.  These are all reloaded from cut 5.56/.223 cases.

Their 300 blackout caused severe malfunctions.  The bullets would get jammed in the chamber so bad I had to pull the charging handle and slam the buttstock on the ground to eject the round.

I shot two other brands of ammo that day and experienced zero malfunctions.

And to top it off, I emailed them twice about the 300 rounds of ammunition I purchased with my findings and received no response.  The emails were very polite and I was sharing my experience,
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
So it sounds like they are on the "do not buy from" list unless you buy stuff with new brass.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#3]
They have moved completely to my do not buy list.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 4:22:35 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had a round from Freedom Munitions do the same thing and I've not gone through the whole 150 rounds yet.

I averaged 2 or 3 rounds per 150 of API from Survival Ops not allowing the bolt to close. I mentioned that in the thread early on. The ammo was so cheap that I didn't complain and gave the rounds away as souvenirs. lol
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 10:15:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I've used 18 rounds of their API in an AR50, but that was two years ago.
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some of you may have seen my recent post in the Survival Ops thread about FM.
<snip>
I'd like to know if this problem exists with other rounds such as AP, ball, incendiary, etc in both new and used brass. I assume the new brass won't have problems. If you are able to check, please report your findings here.
View Quote

In Re: other projectiles. I'm thinking that the brass is all prepped the same, and the loader just grabs the  next available bucket of primed brass, regardless, which bullet.

In Re: New brass.

I can only speak to the new W.C.C brass, that I have loaded. Years include 08,11,12, and 13,
Case lengths varied from 3.865 to 3.918 At least all were square.

My rifle is an old Watson upper. It doesn't mind the longer stuff, at all, so I don't worry about it. After firing, I do all the prep stuff, swagging the pockets, etc. I trim with a K&B tool, to 3.910

1X milsurp I buy prepped from http://50bmgsupply.com, in Canton OH. Never got an off square case mouth, and all of them between 3.900, and 3.908

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Never had a problem with Freedom Munitions.

Before I started rolling my own,that's about all I was shooting.No issues through an AR50 and an 82A1.No issues reloading the brass either.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:43:42 PM EDT
[#8]
After a lot of going back and forth, they gave me a pre-paid shipping label for a return.  After the items sat there for several weeks, and several more emails, I received a refund of $116.  About 60% of the value of what I sent back.  That was for 245 rounds.  45 rounds of Hornady Subsonic and 200 rounds of supersonic.  The 300 ammo is terribly out of spec.  Despite having good experiences with other calibers of theirs, I will never buy a thing from them again.
Link Posted: 12/26/2014 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#9]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/663563_Warning_for_freedom_munition_9mm_users.html
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#10]
I've not had any issues either with the API. I shot some last week through my BA 50 and it was a hammer, 3 shot groups the size of quarters. By far better than federal new production in my rifle. I found a good deal on some 750 grn hornady so I'm going to try a hundred of them.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:08:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Well crap, while I don't have any 50 BMG ammo from Freedom Munitions I've got around 600 10mm still left that I use in my Delta Elite.  (for practice not carry) I carry 180 HP PARABELLUM RESEARCH right now but I'm going to try some Buffalo Bore HP in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 5:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well crap, while I don't have any 50 BMG ammo from Freedom Munitions I've got around 600 10mm still left that I use in my Delta Elite.  (for practice not carry) I carry 180 HP PARABELLUM RESEARCH right now but I'm going to try some Buffalo Bore HP in the near future.
View Quote

Did you have any issues with the ones you already shot?

Guy I know shot a shit ton of 9mm with no issues at all.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 3:05:21 PM EDT
[#13]
So far I've found one round with a crushed case that got through quality control.  It was shaped like a 10mm but the bullet had pushed 1/2 the case down to the base.  Very strange looking. I just took a picture of it.  Quality control is a bit lacking yet I'm even finding that to be a problem with .22 LR ammunition.  More often I'm finding that even when I'm able to find .22 ammo there are more failure to fire at a rate of 1 per box of around 100.  .

screenshot program
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top