Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/12/2014 11:45:31 AM EDT
I am trying to decide whether to get the Barrett M99 or a DTA HTI.  I have read that Barrett has a way more effective brake, but I was wondering if you could put the brake from the M99 on the DTA HTI and get the best of both worlds?  I like the compactness of the DTA and the ability to swap barrels but with my girl shooting I need the lower recoil option.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 7:06:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Compact rifle usually means light weight. Light weight usually translate to heavy recoil. Now they say that a short barrel also has higher gas pressure at the muzzle, thus a good brake will work better with the higher pressure. Where as a long barrel would have lower gas pressure at the muzzle and less control of recoil. I dont have a compact or short barrel rifle. I have a Ferret 50 with a 36" barrel. I have also added a total of 5lbs of lead to help make my rifle heavier. Also a means of reducing recoil. So with scope and the added lead weights, it weighs in about 32 lbs. And I would say that it kicks like a two and three quarter 12Ga shotgun. And as you might guess, this is a bench rifle. So I can tell you it will push me back about 3 to 4" on the bench. So I do have to use a towel under my right elbow to keep from rubbing my hide off. As me how I know, LOL.

All I can say is get a great brake (AR50?).
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 10:45:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Is it worth the extra $3,000+ to have a shorter rifle that is mag fed? I bought my 32" FDE 99 with Leupold scope brand new for $3,000+ less than what they want for the DTI with no scope including tax. You'd probably need to contact both places to see if the threads are the same.
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:19:47 AM EDT
[#3]
You can get a new ArmaLite Ar50-A1B for around $2,700 and it is built like a tank, accurate and has the best brake out there I believe. It's near zero recoil once you have a bi-pod, mono-pod, scope, and scope rings on it (about 45lbs like mine).

http://grabagun.com/arml-ar50-50cal-31-blk-blk.html

I have Barrett scope rings and SWFA SS 20x mil/mil scope on it now.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top