Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/20/2014 8:22:22 PM EDT
I read in one retailers ad that API and APIT bullets are no longer manufactured  for public usage since 1989 (?)
So all such bullets are from pre 89 stock either pulled or old stock.
Any truth ?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:35:08 PM EDT
[#1]
AFIK, those bullets were never manufactured for public use...  All such bullets come from surplus sources.  What it all comes down to is how/where those bullets enter the "surplus market".  I think that there are rules that require that kind of ammo to be de-milled (pulled apart) before the individual components can be sold.

Retailer's ad sounds like it was written to make it sound like they are a "last chance" place to obtain these bullets in an effort to urge people to make "panic buys" to avoid losing out on getting some (when no such shortage exists).  Typical retailer nonsense that usually just makes me put my wallet back on my pocket (due to feeling like someone's trying to "play me").
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:12:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have never seen new api or such. Like the post above, it kinda sounds like someone trying to make some money.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#3]
My source is 50bmgsupply.com, and they have plentiful quantities of surplus pulled API, and  APIT.

What has become scarce, is, AP, and incendiary (blue tip). As their recent price increases show.

They have less than 5,000 blue tip projectiles, remaining, and their suppliers are all out. When they are gone, that's it.

AP? I just don't know.

And, no, this isn't to "play" anyone. Just a report on one manufacturer's stock levels.
Link Posted: 9/22/2014 6:48:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Someday they will get scarce-could be this year,or 20 years down the road.

You never know politically what could happen either.

IMO,it never hurts to have plenty in stock,just don't go nuts buying super expensive ones.

Fill up some ammo cans and put them away for a rainy day.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#6]
www.lehighbullets.com

510-120

http://www.lehighbullets.com/products.asp?cat=30&pg=2
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I read in one retailers ad that API and APIT bullets are no longer manufactured  for public usage since 1989 (?)
So all such bullets are from pre 89 stock either pulled or old stock.
Any truth ?
View Quote

It has been banned from import since 1989.

And now selling the porjectiles from demiled ammo is banned. I'm not sure of the date it started, I think it was in the early 2000s no more AP, API, or APIT can be pulled down and the projectiles sold.  All new demil contracts by the army require the projectiles to be destroyed, or loaded for export sales only.  It has been added as a rider to the defense budget every year.

At some point the API and APIT inventories will dry up and be gone forever, but it is not going to be for several more years or possibly decades.

Defense Budget

See section 8062 page 84.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top