Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/7/2014 7:53:06 PM EDT
If it's ok with everybody I think we should start a Serbu thread.

I went this morning for the first time to shoot my new Serbu BFG50A. I haven't set up the scope yet. Will do next weekend. Will also post a video. At any rate here are some pics. No video b/c we were just plinking. Have to say the recoil is a lot less than my Remington 870. Now the blast and concussion

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Looking good. Can't wait for the video. Will seriously consider this for my next 50BMG. Keep us posted on any issues arising after use. Looks like a solid blaster.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#3]

Winter time 50A

Link Posted: 9/10/2014 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I would give my left nutt to have a place to shoot as open as OP's spot.
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would give my left nutt to have a place to shoot as open as OP's spot.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have to drive almost 4 hours to shoot mine. Plain sucks. But worth it
BTW, get your phone out and video that awesome rifle in action.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Heres a video of my BFG-50A in action
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the video. Big woody just watching the power of the beast. What grain bullet was that? Got to go now and find the wifey to take care of this woody.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm gonna say, Serbu has an amazing customer service !!!

I took the BFG50A to the range yesterday and had issues with extraction. Shot American Eagle XM33C and was getting stuck cases and the extractor was ripping of the rim. It happen several times.

I emailed Mark Serbu this morning and he replied within an hour !!! He advised me to clean the chamber and to cover the rounds with very light coat of oil, which I did.

I took the rifle today back to the range. Man it worked like a charm. I was able to sight the scope.

That thing is shooting just over MOA with XM33C !!!!

I'll post a video as soon as I download it from the phone.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:54:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Have heard from others that american eagle is a bit hot and will cause the brass to stick. Order a small box or rounds from survival ops to see how they do. I don't have any issues with there ammo. One thing I do before shooting my saftey harbors is lube it up good. Never had a stuck brass yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#11]
trying to upload vid
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Yes, SERBU has great customer service.  

Mark will actually call you back, that is amazing for company.

The light oil on the round does seem to help.  I generally wipe down each round with a dry or lightly oiled cloth before loading my mags.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Very interesting.  I have not ever let lubed rounds into my guns.  Just to avoid the 'excessive bolt face thrust'.  I will continue my habit, as the history of guns that require lubed ammo is not good.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#14]
You make a good point. I really really don't want to know what happens if a bolt lug breaks in any gun when my face is 3 inches from the action, let alone a 50 bmg. We are just talking a few rounds to break in the rifle. Also, I am not talking about rounds dripping in oil either. Chamber is clean and dry now though.

We'll see how it goes next time at the range, hopefully no more stuck cases and ripped off rims.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#15]
No not dripping wet rounds, No need for an oil shower at high velocity.

Mostly I just wipe them off with a rag to ensure they are clean.  

But usually I use a bench rag that has a bit of oil on it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Anymore range reports on this rifle? Am really interested in it if its as good as it looks. Christmas may come early next year for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:29:51 AM EDT
[#17]
deleted
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:31:54 AM EDT
[#18]
First shooting day, I didn’t even had a scope but I “needed” to shoot this beast. We went to the dessert with a couple of friends and shot a full magazine of Survivalops.com 50 BMG ball (suffice to say I’ve ordered 300 rds more) and went really smooth. No failure to feed or extract. Brass looked clean. The recoil is hard to describe, is not hard at all. Even when shoulder firing it. It is the sensation you get when firing a gas impinged system (I don’t know if it makes sense).  The recoil is blunted, more of a push. Now the blast, holy shit…

Second time I went to the range after a put a scope (SWFA SS 12x42).  This time I went to one of the local ranges with the intention to sight the scope and shoot a few rounds.

I loaded a magazine with LC (American Eagle) XM33C. First shot… no brass noise hitting the floor after extraction…. The round got stuck in the chamber. We used a ram rod to get it out. This situation repeated several times. I disassembled the gun and re-oiled the bolt carrier and the receiver yet obtained the same results. You can imagine my frustration, here’s this guy with a new 50 bmg semi-auto and it doesn’t even extract. One thing that had every body impressed was the fact that the extractor was ripping the brass rims off.  I mean think of the massive force to do that. Finally went home...
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 12:32:46 AM EDT
[#19]
That night took the gun apart cleaned it and re-oiled it. And did a shit load of reading on interweb…

Next morning, I called Serbu. Mark's assistant (I speak as if I’ve known him, ) told me he was busy but he would be calling me. I emailed him so as to not bother. He answered within the HOUR and suggested that even though the chamber look super smoth it might be “rough-tight” and may need a break in. He recommended to lightly oil the rounds with a rag and shoot a few.  I am not going to get into the whole thing about bolt face thrust issue (I have done my reading and I am not to worried about it… there are a lot of people who know a whole lot more than me that questions this concept), besides the rounds were not dripping in oil.

That afternoon went back to the range and shot around 30 rounds. Not a single problem. It was awesome. The gun was shooting just about 1.5 MOA and this is XM33C and myself !!! and I don’t shoot worth a shit… Now the RSOs were all over the gun, I let them shoot a few rounds and one of the first comments I got was that the trigger was really good. Which is true.

What can I say, all and all I am really happy with the SERBU BFG50A. I did a lot of reading and questioning before jumping. Somehow this feels better than the Barret, may I am naïve but I believe (and based on my basic understanding) this gun has a significant higher accuracy potential than the Barret. Time will tell.

PS: once I figure how to post a video I am posting it. Not sure I want to create a youtube account.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Everything I have read about american eagle is they are a bit hot. Why I have not shot any in my safety harbor 50. Never had an issue with survival ops except I can't get through to place an order. His web site states the rounds are toned down. Works for me. Glad to hear you got things figured out on that bad boy. Next year I will decide if I want a semi or bolt action for my next 50bmg. Am seriously considering Serbu though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I want one of those...  I should sell my LAR Grizzly and a bunch of other stuff and just order one.  

Link Posted: 10/13/2014 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Great video! Everything I have read about the Serbu semi auto 50 has generally been positive. The price is right for a semi auto 50 BMG. That would be the one I would buy, good value vs quality. One problem I can see owning a semi auto is that I would probably go through a ton of 50 ammo if I had one. I blow through enough 50 BMG rounds with my mag-fed bolt action as it is

Your extraction problems are probably ammo related combined with a new tight chamber. That should loosen up over time. Mine did on my Safety Harbor but I still have to man handle the bolt once in a while. I mainly shoot Survialops ammo. As I recall I had the same problem with American/Federal. SH recommended not to use that stuff, some or all batches where a tad hot and might stick a brass. Make yourself a stuck shell extraction ramrod, a 7/16th" dowel with a 45 acp shell over the insertion end. You can insert the rod from the muzzle and tap your brass out. Just a light tap usually does the trick.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:20:58 AM EDT
[#23]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHFlkcuRGr4

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 1:34:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Anyone running one of these with a can yet??
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 3:43:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

This is what I want to know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Anyone running one of these with a can yet??

This is what I want to know.

It's the main reason I sold my 82. The. Barrett was nice enough to start doing them with suppressors

Like the idea behind a fixed barrel a littl netter anyway.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#27]
someone has done it

" />

this is the link: http://serbu.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=731&sid=d4ca95c67d4ee8159434049cdc592813

Link Posted: 10/24/2014 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#28]
That's what I'm talking about
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 2:11:18 AM EDT
[#29]
PSA: there is a Serbu BFG50A on Gunbroker for sale at $ 6,000.00…

Link: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=451607028

Description (there are some red flags on the description though)

Up for sale is my Serbu 50 BFG Semi Auto, 30 rds thru the gun, what an awesome piece! I only have 200 yds to shoot, so it's not worth hanging on to. I'm throwing in a Zeiss Conquest scope, and 170 rds, and the case it came in. No Reserve! Shipping straight $150, I will ship rifle to your ffl, and scope and ammo to your address. PayPal add 3.5%. Thanks. Caliber: .50 BMG (California-legal .50 DTC also available) Action: Single-Shot Length: 51.5" standard, 58" for 36" barrel, carbine is 44" Weight: 22 lbs for 29.5" std BBL, 32 lbs for 36.0" heavy BBL, 17 lbs for 22.0" carbine Barrel: Match grade alloy steel, 1:15 twist, 29.5" (22.0" carbine), custom taper - many options available Muzzle Brake: Highly Effective "Shark Brake". Fire Control: AR-15 trigger and safety, custom hammer, spring-loaded firing pin. Average trigger pull is 4.0 lbs Scope Mount: Screwed-on Picatinny rail. Optional 30MOA base is $25 extra. Bipod: Custom BFG-50™ bipod Finish: Parkerized (manganese phosphate)

Caveat emptor ...
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#30]
What bothers you?? He probably just cut and pasted the description off the website.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 11:05:29 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess if I was trying to sale a rifle worth $ 6,000 (which by the way is a fantastic price) I would have made sure I got the right description b/c the one he posted was the one for the BFG 50, not the BFG 50A; and if I'm buying a used $ 6,000 rifle online I'd like to see the proper description. I am not implying the seller has any ill intentions.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top