Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2014 6:41:51 PM EDT
Seen someone post this over in the MO Hometown forum.

http://www.examiner.com/article/new-world-record-set-for-longest-sniper-kill-afghanistan?cid=taboola_inbound. I remember years ago when I first got my 50. I think it was an article in FCSA mag about how some old boys got a 30 or bettter degree rail mounted on their rifles and when out west to shoot what was it 3 miles at a large bolder. All I can say is that these two snipers are some hell of shooters to get a man size target at about 1 & 3/4 miles. Good shooting chaps.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 3:02:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember reading that article.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
and a damn 82 no less.

wonder how many shots it took
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

and a damn 82 no less.

wonder how many shots it took
View Quote

I read 2 snipers fired and they don't know which hit the bad guy.

I can't tell you how many times local range guys and Snipers Hide guys bad-mouth 50 BMG's as being a terrible sniper round (not accurate, or as one guy put, a minute of man) and Barrett M82A1's as being a POS, but then you hear about all these long range kills via US Military snipers.

So this is just one more case I can file away in my mind justifying the 50 BMG as an awesome long range round.

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 7:32:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So this is just one more case I can file away in my mind justifying the 50 BMG as an awesome long range round.
View Quote
It does the job but it also helps that most of the guys will sit on a hillside with rounds going off around them and just wait to get hit.

I know they were walking the rounds on, just wondered how many

Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:38:17 PM EDT
[#6]
On the positive side. When not at work sitting on a hill trading shots with the other side. They get to set off quite a few rounds a day practicing taking shots at targets. Whats that saying about practice makes well near perfect. A lot closer to perfect than I can afford.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 12:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]

Steve Reichert is calling BS on this based on distance and scope capability. http://soldiersystems.net/2012/11/26/steve-reichert-on-the-2815-meter-shot/

Steve Reichert on the 2815 Meter Shot

Former Marine Sniper Steve Reichert posted his take on the recent claims that two Australian Snipers made a 2815 meter shot within seconds of each other on his Facebook wall. He isn’t saying it was impossible, but rather letting the science speak.
I recently came across a news article stating that two Australian Defense Force snipers had killed a Taliban "commander” at a distance of 2815 meters. They were using a Barrett M82A1. I thought the story was a little fishy; after all trying to get positive ID on a person at said distance is extremely hard with conventional optical devices. The question stuck in my mind… was the shot even possible? Let’s look at the math involved, after all physics don’t lie.
•Rifle: M82A1

•Ammunition: Unknown, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and use a plug in a match grade 750 grain Lapua @ say 2700fps

•Scope: Unknown, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and use a S&B 5-25×56 PM II/LP/MTC/LT

•Scope base: Unknown, let’s give them the advantage and use a base with 30 MOA built in

•Zero Distance: Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and use 900 meters

•Altitude: Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt and use 5000ft MSL
If the rifle didn’t have a 30 MOA base, and was zeroed at 100m like most sniper rifles are, then you would need a total come-up of 67.85 mils (233.25 MOA). That’s a lot of mils, and most scopes do not have half that adjustment range. Suppose that they did have a 30 MOA base on the rifle… and they were only interested in making an extremely long shot, so they zeroed at 900 meters. Doing this would drop the total come-up’s required to hit at 2815m by a little over 7 mils, to 60.29 mils (207.26 MOA). Now subtract the 30 MOA ramp angle and you get the actual remaining, real scope come-up of 51.56 mils (177.26 MOA). This is still outside the available travel of most scopes. The S&B 5-25×56 lists only 26 mils of total elevation travel, so it would most likely be impossible to dial on enough elevation to make a shot at 2815m. This would mean they would have to hold…. But in order to see the target they would have to power the scope down. The FOV specification for the S&B is 5.3 meters at 100 meters with the scope at minimum magnification and 1.5 meters at 100 meters with it at maximum magnification. Field of view is all the way across the scope, so the maximum hold you can accomplish optically; going all the way from center to the rim is half of these values. So, at minimum magnification we can hold up to 0.5 x 5.3 / 100 = 0.0265 radian or 26.5 mils all the way to the rim. At maximum magnification this is 0.5 x 1.5 / 100 = 0.0075 radian or 7.5 mils. As stated earlier, since the scope has a maximum vertical adjustment of 26 mils and the shot requires a total of 67.85 mils, the optical hold required would be 41.85 mils. Even at minimum magnification, the available field of view would only allow about 63 percent of the required hold. At maximum magnification, it would only allow about 18 percent of the required angle.
Bottom line: Using the gear they more than likely had, and assuming they had smoking hot match grade rounds, the best optics and ramped scope bases… it’s highly unlikely this shot was pulled off…
Special thanks to Dr Lyman R. Hazelton at Empyreal Sciences for his contribution to this article.
Semper Fi

Steve

Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#8]
One thing I've noticed about all these "sniper kills" over there is that it is never an American.  I know our training is as good and probably better and they have the best equipment they can purchase.  In the 80's when I was stationed at Pope AFB I worked at Cumberland Knife and Gun part time.  I was lucky enough to get to know a few of the Delta Force guys as they would stop in and purchased their components from us with a wad of cash. They were not using 50 BMG back then but were able to try out every new "sniper rifle" to hit the market and their own built model 700 based actions that they built were still kicking butt.  Those guys were great at reading the wind by how the grass bent or the mirage.  Anyway I think we are not taking credit for what ever reason when one of our guys makes a great shot.  BTW they were still using 30-338 custom chambering at that time if I remember correctly.  It's very close to my 30 Belted Newton.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:00:10 PM EDT
[#9]
You know its people like Steve Reicher that might be the one full of bull hockey. Like I said, its been a few years back and I might be wrong, but believe it was the FCSA rag that had a story about some old boys going out west with some modified sighting system (aka rails) and looking over a valley at a large boulder at about 3 miles away. Sure they had to walk it in before they made hits. Now how much training did they have and did they have on the same level as some of these snipers the control  that it takes to make great shots almost every time? So, I think someone with the proper training and top of the line equipment. Can very well make a 1 & 3/4 mile hit on a man size target. And a lot of luck to go with it. A person could very well move out of or into the path of a bullet that is in flight for several seconds.

Shame on Steve for making such a fuss over it. Might this be that Steve is jealous that he cant do the same?
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Everyone has a rigt to express what they think but there are to many unknowns for him to call his ideas fact. Elevation alone could cut alot of his come ups. What was the targets angle? Im reminded of Jerry Miculek shooting a 22lr at 400 yards, and was aiming in the tops of trees to hit his steel plate. As long as you have a spotter to help walk it in then its very possible they did that shot.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top