Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 7/11/2014 12:21:31 AM EDT
Newbie question. I am looking into getting a 50 BMG. Budget $7000 without optic.

Choices are Serbu BFG 50-A vs Barrett M95
I would really like an "accurate and reliable" semi-auto. I know that bolt actions are more accurate but kick more and they don't have the fire rate of semi.

I also read in some forums about some problems with the Serbu, miss-aligned firing pin, cycling issues, finicky with ammo. All of which I am not sure are real.

In other words, if I knew the Serbu was as accurate (or near) as the Barrett and reliable (ie not finicky) it would be a no brainer.

Hopefully any Serbu owners may shed some light.

Thanks

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 12:58:12 AM EDT
[#1]
It is hard to tell from your post if you realize the 95 is not a semi??

My opinion of the 95 is that it is not worth the money over the single shot. I loved my 99 and would buy one again. As for the Serbu I still havent seen one in person and it is certainly not out and about in any huge numbers. My 82 was not that accurate but fairly reliable with everything except talon junk.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:13:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your answer.

I do realize that the Barrett is not semi and I guess that's the question. I am comparing a repeater with a semi.

I know the repeater is reliable and very accurate.

I hear a lot about the Serbu being reliable and simpler b/c of it's DI design. The question is: Is the Serbu truly reliable ? and if so how accurate the Serbu is?

This is possible a one in a lifetime purchase (the wife will probably kill me when she finds out... ) and so that I want to get the most out of my purchase.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 1:46:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 4:07:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I have about 300 rounds on my Serbu and it is functioning flawlessly.  When I first got it, I had some short stroking issues with Argentinian ammo, but it ran perfectly with everything else I fed it.
Unfortunately, I have only fired it out to 100 yards.  For whatever reason, it didn't like the A-Max bullets, but was tossing Barnes X bullets into an inch, for five at a hundred.  I know that isn't much of test, but it's all I have done with it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:29:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call Tromix and ask the owner, Tony Rumore posted here and so did some other owners. Never got an accuracy report other then it shot very well and didn't have any problems.  If I had the money I would buy the Serbu and never look back, Mark makes a great product.

Use the extra money for a GOOD scope and some ammo to hit the range with. Don't expect match results from factory ammo, as it will probably give you 2-3 MOA groups. If you want better results you'll need to use better bullets and handload for it.
View Quote

whoops wrong reply
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 10:31:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have about 300 rounds on my Serbu and it is functioning flawlessly.  When I first got it, I had some short stroking issues with Argentinian ammo, but it ran perfectly with everything else I fed it.
Unfortunately, I have only fired it out to 100 yards.  For whatever reason, it didn't like the A-Max bullets, but was tossing Barnes X bullets into an inch, for five at a hundred.  I know that isn't much of test, but it's all I have done with it.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

View Quote

Pretty accurate I'd say
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My opinion of the 95 is that it is not worth the money over the single shot. I loved my 99 and would buy one again. As for the Serbu I still havent seen one in person and it is certainly not out and about in any huge numbers. My 82 was not that accurate but fairly reliable with everything except talon junk.
View Quote

Did you own a 95? My 95 and 99 were no comparison side by side. It was like going from an m16a2 to an SBR m4.

I liked my 95 a whole lot.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Did you own a 95? My 95 and 99 were no comparison side by side. It was like going from an m16a2 to an SBR m4.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like and shoot my 95 more than my 99, Just as accurate, more compact so it's easier to pack And it fits on the front of my quad without hanging off the edges and it weighs much less.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope just a 99. Got to play with a couple 95's though. At the time it was almost double he cost for a 95 which I didn't feel was worth it. No doubt they are great.

I am interested in what you liked so much better though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Nope just a 99. Got to play with a couple 95's though. At the time it was almost double he cost for a 95 which I didn't feel was worth it. No doubt they are great.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked the balance, size, same accuracy as my 99 and magazines without a 10k tag.

Could just be the nerdy army guy in me who hates front heavy systems that are not on a Pintle, but just doing some short relays with each of them I had a much easier time getting up running and getting back down to a firing position with the 95.

I had to sell them regretfully for divorce funding, but now have a Serbu carbine that is the ultimate hustle 50.

I sure do miss the magazines though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:34:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:27:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a BFG-50A and I want 95.

I wouldn't trade the 50A for it, but I've always thought it was the "best" (for me) gun Barrett makes.
Never camme across the right deal.
Put together an UltraMag50 (when they were available) for light mag fed bolt goodness.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#13]
I was working at Serbu when the semi was being developed. I loved shooting it. Much lighter recoil as opposed to the M82a1/M107 family of rifles.
I have an M95 from when I worked at Barrett. I like shooting it. But I added a little weight to the upper to reduce some recoil.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 12:22:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you guys.

After some consideration decided on the Serbu... I guess I was always going to be unsatisfied with any other 50 BMG but an accurate semi...

It's on layaway and I should be getting it next month (waiting on a bonus... )

I'll post pics as soon as I get it...

Thx

PS: now, it's time to start looking for the "ideal" optic...
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:52:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Just looked at the serbu online that your getting. Nice. If you can, do a video of you shooting that beast. Always wanted a semi and cheaper than a barret. Will have to consider serbu when I decide I want to upgrade from a bolt 50BMG.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 10:35:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thank you guys.

After some consideration decided on the Serbu...
... now, it's time to start looking for the "ideal" optic...
View Quote

I've shot my 50A with a Niteforce NSX MOAR 8-32, Sightmark holographic, and AN/PVS-12 night vision.
They all have their time and place...

I still want a nice set of BUIS for it too.  

Get them all!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:42:17 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the 50A.  it is a bit finicky with ammo.  I think it might be the ammo selections I used.  

I sent it back to Serbu so they could confirm there was nothing wrong.  

Mark personally emailed and called me to discuss the issue.  

I can say that their customer service is second to none.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:29:42 PM EDT
[#18]
It should be on the mail tonite…

Can't wait to get my hands on it…
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 1:17:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Can't wait to shoot this monster...
" />

Here's OPAP w/ his new friend...
" />
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:07:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice. What did it cost? If you can, video your time at the range and post it. Especially the 1st round. Enjoy seeing the big shit eating grin when someone fires the big boy, especially the 1st time.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top