Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2014 1:42:38 PM EDT
ok guys, can we swap the M82a1 brake for the one on the M107?  I would not be using it for the suppressor option, mostly just for the look. Better yet, does anyone make an aftermarket brake for the M82A1?  I dont think I wanna spend the extra $$ on the M107 just for a bad a$$ brake.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:17:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I also have a 82A1, the word from Barrett is NO , the 107A1 and the 82A1 are Very different , the brake is specially engineered for each weapon . Recoil mitigation and timing . probably why you can't order a brake from Barrett.
M107A1 has an Aluminum top receiver and 5lbs less than the 82A1.
Look under industry heading above.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Dup post
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My AAC suppressor came with its own brake... but I put it on my M99.  If the 82 has the same threads as the 99, you should be good.  I think they sell them separately.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 9:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You can NOT suppress the 82A1, they are working on a solution supposedly.   Suppressor adds too much back pressure making it dangerous and puts the weapon out of time.
From Barrett.net

Can I install a suppressor on my Barrett Model 82A1® rifle?
Very bad idea. Installing a suppressor will void your warranty and may also damage your rifle. Repair bills for damaged Model 82A1® rifles often total over $1,500. The safe and effective use of a suppressor requires coordinated engineering of the rifle, the suppressor and the ammunition. The only .50 caliber rifle manufactured by Barrett that is suppressor capable is the M107A1.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 2:32:37 AM EDT
[#5]
That would probably explain why he said he wasn't going to put a suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would probably explain why he said he wasn't going to put a suppressor on it.
View Quote

I know that , but it also changes the weapons timing WITHOUT a suppressor by speeding up the action cycle time and increased pressure imparted on all working parts.
The brake is an integral part of how the M82 functions.
It would not affect your M99 because there is no action to slow down or speed up.

Link Posted: 7/1/2014 2:45:48 AM EDT
[#7]
How do you know it doesn't slow down the action time, reducing wear?  

You're just guessing...which is fine, but you should say that you're guessing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Supposedly Barrett is going to release a retrofit kit for the M82A1 so you can run the new suppressor on it.

I would assume the new muzzle brake would be required. Timeline of the release is unknown.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 4:53:32 PM EDT
[#9]
at the expense losing my account on ar15 , Guessing I am NOT , Suppressor ADDS back pressure ,BRAKES  Reduce it ,Try firing your M99 without your brake . and there is enough difference in the two brakes to alter the weapon cycle time. It is in the Armorer's manual. Since the M107 and the M82A1 are the same gun minus the markings.
Just trying to help this guy out and not ruin his gun , ALL of the information i wrote is available from Barrett.net ...so i guess they are guessing too ?? I guess this is the kind of fucking drama the sticky is about.  
OP until they make a retro fit brake for your gun ....i strongly reccomend leaving the factory brake installed.  

I am waiting for one to be made , Kathy from Elite iron made my TRG-42 suppressor and can't wait to try the 50 can.
Sorry about the Typo EODINERT  since you fucking know everything.

Link Posted: 7/3/2014 12:15:13 AM EDT
[#10]
i cant imagine there isnt a real big push to change that ugly a$$ brake that comes with the M82 since the M107 brake came out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2014 5:11:38 AM EDT
[#11]
It's B-R-A-K-E.  And yes, we know what it does.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 50cal Gemtech Stormfront Can....it made my M82A1 (which it's made for) run like crap, 1000% increase in recoil, and hang fires....bad idea.

Anyone got a M95 they want to sell?  Expensive ass CAN to have sitting for so many years.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 3:54:07 PM EDT
[#13]
The government did tests of off the shelf .50 cans a while back, there is a powerpoint lurking around the webs with the results.  Sadly, they just identify them as 'Suppressor A., Suppressor B', not by brand or name.  There is a chart showing the amount that recoil increased on every single one of them.... so while suppressors seem to reduce recoil in some calibers, in .50 it universally seems to increase it.  

This thread was about swapping brakes, though.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I have a 50cal Gemtech Stormfront Can............... and hang fires....bad idea.

Anyone got a M95 they want to sell?  Expensive ass CAN to have sitting for so many years.
View Quote

How's a can produce hang fires?  You do mean a delayed firing after squeezing the trigger?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:20:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Supposedly Barrett is going to release a retrofit kit for the M82A1 so you can run the new suppressor on it.

I would assume the new muzzle brake would be required. Timeline of the release is unknown.
View Quote

I hope this happens soon. I've been contemplating selling my CQ to buy a new 107.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Got the 107. Now to get the can.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Just curious, will the old mags fit in the new 107?
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 3:59:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just curious, will the old mags fit in the new 107?
View Quote

Yes, they will.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top