Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 6/28/2014 8:48:10 AM EDT
Still trying to figure out why the long throat length on the AR50 rifles. What's the advantage if any.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:12:51 PM EDT
[#1]
1) Safety.
2) it works just fine accuracy-wise
(Better can be had, but for a production gun it does as good as they can get it to do.
The National Match AR50 had a more traditional chamber cut
...and it shot not-so-good, they went back to what works)
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#2]
So if you had a new barrel installed would the length be done different or same as factory? Not ready for a new one yet but I'm sure that day will arrive.

Link Posted: 6/29/2014 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Depends who does it.

I did my own re-barreling with a 35" Feddersen 5-R Bull barrel.
Chambered it TIGHT with a 0.554"Dia neck Specification.
Throat is short, rifling is easy to touch if you so desire.
Did my State Arms Shorty the same way - just set barrel back 2.5 inches, re-chambered, installed a AR-50 muzzle brake.

I know a Gunsmith Artist in OK that would do your rifle when the time comes. He is an expert machinist and well known in the FCSA community.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#4]
What made you decide to use the Fedderson barrel and the 35" length?
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#5]
When I used to compete in Eatonville I saw two good shooters with AR-50's.  They typically had a good group of four with a fifth flyer.  They both fixed the problem; one replaced his barrel with a heavier match grade one, the other had the back cut off and re-chambered to allow the bullet to touch the lands.  Both improved their groups and took turns beating everyone else until Rasmussen finally got his new rifle with the Bat action ready and creamed everyone with a 1.9" group.

Randy
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:35:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What made you decide to use the Fedderson barrel and the 35" length?
View Quote

Availability.
The purchase of two barrels from a fellow FCSA member for $325 each, last year.
The barrels required cutting the start and end of barrels to remove imperfect rifling from that operation, thus ended up near 34" length. 1" off one end, chamber cut on other end. Both ends threaded, one for action, other for AR-50 muzzle Brake.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top