Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 6/13/2014 5:39:09 AM EDT
Does Hornady use WCC brass for all of there 50 BMG ammo? I finally found a box of their A-Max rounds to try. I was expecting it to have Hornady brass.

I'd also like to know if anybody has had ammo replaced through them. It looks like some of the brass was ground away near the base. I wouldn't care if it was a 5.56 round that cost 35 cents.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 3:01:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's a picture of it. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them.

Link Posted: 6/13/2014 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#3]
How deep is that? The photo makes it look significantly deep.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Somewhere around .003 to .004.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 6:41:54 PM EDT
[#6]
basically its case head separation from the outside working its way in
instead of the inside working its way out
i wouldn't shot it either

and that hornady ammo is HOT
if i remember correctly
it shot 3 feet high @ 1,000 yards than my match ammo
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I had no intentions of shooting it. I didn't hear back from Hornady today. Hopefully I'll hear from them next week. Luckily I have the name of the guy I talked to in case I call back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Hornady has used WCC brass for the .50 BMG cartridge since they started producing that caliber of ammunition, but always intended to some day have their own headstamp on the brass..  That Hornady brass just recently became available, early 2014, so look for the headstamp to change eventually, as they use up their stock of WCC.
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 2:30:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Surprised Hornady let that one through. QC is getting sloppy. To big a hurry pushing it out the door to fast. Hope they make it right for you. Keep us informed how they respond.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:51:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Talked with them again toady. I got an RMA number and will be getting a pre-paid label to return it for exchange.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#11]
The ammo was sent out today. I'll provide an update when I receive the replacements.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Surprised Hornady let that one through. QC is getting sloppy. To big a hurry pushing it out the door to fast. Hope they make it right for you. Keep us informed how they respond.
View Quote

1 bad round is getting sloppy? Expecting 0 defects is unreasonable. Do you have other evidence of sloppy QC?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I agree, 1 round out of a box of 10 isn't a big issue. If there were a bunch of people posting that this was happening then there *might* be an issue.

Hornady has already started the process of making it right, I'm willing to bet the OP will be more then satisfied with the outcome. Let Hornady fix it before any crucifying happens, that's how better things come.
View Quote

Sorry Guys I disagree with your guys in this case. We are not talking about a 22 long rifle round, we are talking about a round that is about $4 each with over  200 grs of powder in it! If  there is an issue with even a single round it could very easy destroy a rifle that can be up over 10 thousand dollars and  kill the shooter and hurt people close by.  in this case even a single mistake is not acceptable.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:57:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1 bad round is getting sloppy? Expecting 0 defects is unreasonable. Do you have other evidence of sloppy QC?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The photo speaks for itself. If he would not have caught the defect and fired it, chances are he would be dead or badly injured. As was posted above, zero room for error.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 10:10:38 PM EDT
[#16]
I got the replacement ammo today. They have Hornady brass. The case length on them is anywhere from 3.897 to 3.9. The total length is anywhere from 5.375 to 5.445 with 7 of them being 5.43X. The primers are crimped. They are also seated kind of deep.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 4:35:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The photo speaks for itself. If he would not have caught the defect and fired it, chances are he would be dead or badly injured. As was posted above, zero room for error.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's just ridiculous.  

It's a piece of bad brass.
Had it failed you'd get a head seperation, considering where the damage is on it.

If you're shooting ANY gun that can't take that, well... good luck to you sir.

It's a big gun, but its still just a gun.
Lets not get all hysterical up in here.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I got the replacement ammo today. They have Hornady brass. The case length on them is anywhere from 3.897 to 3.9. The total length is anywhere from 5.375 to 5.445 with 7 of them being 5.43X. The primers are crimped. They are also seated kind of deep.

http://i.imgur.com/hcyihPdl.jpg
View Quote

Looks like DAG brass with RWS primers.
I'll bet it mic's .548-.549, meaning match chamber specs.

You made out well.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top