Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2014 6:13:14 AM EDT
It looks like PMC loads their ball ammo a little hot. I shot 5 rounds and this is what the bolt and brass looks like. The high spots on the head even got flattened out. The Federal American Eagle ammo I shot didn't even do this.

I only took a picture of one piece of fired brass since all of it had the same results.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:23:06 AM EDT
[#1]
..dang... that does look a little zippy...
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:55:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Where's the PMC brass?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks like primer sealant to me.  PMC ammo is a little cool if anything from my experience.  The crono doesn't lie.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:07:25 AM EDT
[#4]
It is from PMC's Dongrae Ammunition Plant.  That is not the typical commercial ammo shipped to the USA from the Anyang Ammunition Plant, which is marked "PMC".  I heard this is a result of a brilliant international trade attorney who jumped up and down in their Seoul HQ in February 2013, while screaming "SELL ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING YOU MAKE, HAVE, WILL HAVE OR MIGHT HAVE TO THE US NOW TO MAKE MUCH MONEY."

Anyone notice PMC 50 cal showing up not too long ago.

But I do no know anything.

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 1:27:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That looks like primer sealant to me.  PMC ammo is a little cool if anything from my experience.  The crono doesn't lie.
View Quote

That's been my experience as well. I have shot a fair amount of PMC ball over the years because it was cheap and available. It has performed well and by all accounts its pretty well made ammo. I haven't bought any within the last year or two. Maybe it's as the previous poster said, made in a different plant and/or loaded a little hotter now?
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 4:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Back in 2006 at a 1000 yard match during sight in a good friend gave me an ammo box full of 10 round boxes of PMC ammo and assorted Talon ammo because it was all to hot for his A L S and made it hard to open the bolt. I had a few boxes of Barrett ammo and felt like I needed to give him something back so I gave him the Barrett ammo for practice day. It shot great out of his A L S upper and we were both happy. I still have the PMC ammo around somewhere I never tried it in my rifles.  I took it because I have a couple State Arms rifles with chambers that will shoot just about any thing I put in them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2014 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought it around the middle of last year. The lot # is 50A-0025. The place I bought it from still has one box left for 41.99. I haven't bought it since PSA is right down the road and they have Federal AE for 29.99. My only other guess as to why the PMC ammo did that is because the brass might be softer.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 9:39:26 AM EDT
[#8]
... soft brass... that's been my experience with it.  Had a lot of it split while forming into 50DTC a few years back.
Link Posted: 3/31/2014 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#9]
The new Sportsmans Guide catalog I got on Saturday has it listed-a little over 3000fps which caught my eye .Seems fast to me.

ETA-yep,3080 fps for 660 gr FMJ.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 4:09:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm going to a HTFS this weekend. Somebody else said they have a chrono. I'll try to get some measurements.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 4:32:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Both the PSD and the stuff I got from Survival Ops was a little under 2800. The Federal AE stuff was around 2880.

And a just for fun picture. This is a frame grab from one of the videos I took. API hitting 5/8" thick steel.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 10:13:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Both the PSD and the stuff I got from Survival Ops was a little under 2800. The Federal AE stuff was around 2880.

And a just for fun picture. This is a frame grab from one of the videos I took. API hitting 5/8" thick steel.

http://i.imgur.com/9PgNGVHl.jpg
View Quote

Awesome shot!  Did you chrono the survival ops stuff too?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 1:18:18 AM EDT
[#13]
It was the same as the PMC.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Any issues with the other brass you were using?

Or was it just that batch of PMC causing the problem?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 3:53:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Any issues with the other brass you were using?

Or was it just that batch of PMC causing the problem?
View Quote

Sorry for the late reply as I haven't visited this section in a while. It was just that box of PMC and some factory reloads. The reloads could just be due to a very slightly loose primer though.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top