Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/21/2014 3:15:23 AM EDT
Is there a way to know if a raufoss round is real without doing an x-ray or cutting it apart? I found a place that supposedly has single rounds for $60 each. They say the headstamp is WCC.

They also have SLAP and SLAP-T rounds for $50 each. Is that a good price? I want them for collection purposes. Same goes for the raufoss round.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 3:16:49 AM EDT
[#1]
The Raufoss should have a noticeably different taper on the projectile, appearing fatter.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Raufoss should have a noticeably different taper on the projectile, appearing fatter.
View Quote

Lay one down next to a ball, AP, or API round and you should see a definite difference in the profile and tip of the Raufoss round. It is a little wider than all the others.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Post some pics.

I started a thread about this a few years back.  There is a lot of good info in it.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_3/335255_Raufoss__50_BMG_explosive_rounds.html
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the picture from the website. Are those prices worth it or should I continue looking around?

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is the picture from the website. Are those prices worth it or should I continue looking around?

http://i.imgur.com/UOEP8G3.jpg
View Quote

The bullet looks correct.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:56:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Think the prices are a bit too high
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:21:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cdvs?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is there a way to know if a raufoss round is real without doing an x-ray or cutting it apart? I found a place that supposedly has single rounds for $60 each. They say the headstamp is WCC.

They also have SLAP and SLAP-T rounds for $50 each. Is that a good price? I want them for collection purposes. Same goes for the raufoss round.
View Quote

PM me the link? I want some Raufoss to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is CDVS.us
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:57:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

it is CDVS.us
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

it is CDVS.us

CDVS has the correct items. They are priced pretty high though.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 9:41:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Lay one down next to a ball, AP, or API round and you should see a definite difference in the profile and tip of the Raufoss round. It is a little wider than all the others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't see what you both are referring to...?

API-T on top and Mk 211 on bottom.

These are leftover un-fired from armor testing by an armor manufacturer.

~Will
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

looks like the ones i had...
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:58:56 PM EDT
[#14]
You have a Lake CITY 09 case on the top and a Greek case on the bottom. I have not seen any 09 Roufas yet. Do a search, some one posted a side by side picture before and there is a very noticeable difference between the API and Roufas.  I think it was the post where some one had theirs x-rayed. There are a lot of fake ones being sold for big bucks on line.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Ball, Tracer, AP, Incendiary, API, APIT, S/T, MP (raufoss), SLAP, SLAP-T, AMAX, practice/tracer
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 11:15:39 PM EDT
[#16]
The US made MK211 is green over a white / cream color, and as far as I know most of the ones in circulation are WCC stamped.
The Greek HPX is green over silver. Ohio Ordinance had a bunch of them over the last few years.

The tip on the API/apit is pointy-er than the mk211. You can tell easily with them side by side. I can see it in that picture.

Almost all of the fakes I've seen were regular silver API with some bad green paint on the tip.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 1:44:05 PM EDT
[#17]
The Mk211 is the HXP 89 headstamp - the API is the LC 09

Mk211

API

SAIC RTR-4 w/ GOLDEN Xr200 - 1 pulse at 8 inches
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#18]
More pics.

Just showing that without paint markings to assist, it is VERY difficult to ascertain what round is what.

Some folks say that the shape can easily discern which round is which, I DISAGREE!

I don't have much for image manipulation, but, if one were to change these photos into B&W and then OUTLINE while erasing paint markings, it would be almost impossible WITHOUT HAVING THEM SIDE BY SIDE and KNOWING which is WHICH!

X-rays are the awesomeness though!

~Will
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 2:55:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

YES, it could be done with a visual comparison with a KNOWN Mk211 Raufoss round AND a trained eye.

Other than that, X-rays and also FIRING it and KNOWING what to look for, NO, I do NOT believe there is an ADEQUATE means for someone to discern off handed or by using even a picture, as angles and lighting play tricks on the eyes.

There is legit stuff out there, it is rare, and it is EXPENSIVE.

~Will
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:22:46 PM EDT
[#21]
To .50 Shooter's comment on cannelures.

The one on the bullet at the case mouth is for crimping the case mouth into the bullet to lock the bullet into position, keep it from being pushed back into the case.  MilSpec is a 200 pound pull force to move the bullet, so the cannelure, crimp, and case mouth sealant is to meet that requirement.  The mouth sealant also provides water proofing.

Any additional cannelures serve an identification purpose (the ID cannelure).  Sometimes that extra cannelure is only for the mfgr to help them ID lots or whatever.  Allowed at their discretion.  It's also been used to help ID the differences in bullet model changes.  When they went from M2 Ball to M33 Ball, for example, the early M33 ball rounds had the extra cannelure, so you could tell the rounds apart in that era.  It got dropped when they felt all the M2 Ball rounds had been shot up out of inventory.  Finally, for military requirements, US at least, foreign may be a different matter, an extra cannelure is applied to the Tracer variant of a round, M17 Tracer vs Ball, M20 APIT vs M8 API, etc.  It's a way of telling the load in low light or if the tip color is too badly worn, etc.  Again, these aren't hard and fast rules, many exceptions.  (Some early WW2 tracers didn't have the extra ID cannelure for instance.)  The UK, for example, went crazy with bullet cannelures in the 50's and 60's.  Some have 3, 4 or more cannelures.

Regarding Raufoss ID, ONE way I use to ID real vs fake Raufoss is by bullet shape, but there are other tells as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#22]
You start with one round and they grow friends, better to have many to compare too
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#24]
One exception to what I wrote that I thought of last night.....

To your comment about incendiary.....

While the API cannelures (if any) don't have anything to do with locking the internal components together, the old WW2 M1 Incend Blue tip had a significant ID cannelure, knurled, that was there to hold the guts together.  (Probably what you were thinking.)  The Remington and Utah M1 (Alternate) Incendiary designs also had ID cannelures, but very small ones as their bullet designs didn't require locking multiple internal components together like the Frankfort Arsenal design that is the more commonly known Blue tip Incend design.  I'm not sure why those other 2 plants had ID cannelures on their Blue tip Incend designs, but they included them.  (They were so small, the looked more like a scratch around the bullet.)
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 7:56:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You start with one round and they grow friends, better to have many to compare too
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/photobucket-19131-1388109881878_zpsdcce260a.jpg
View Quote

What is the headstamp on that lot?

That's as much $$ in ammo as a Barrett - isn't it?

~Will
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:03:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa166/redtazdog/photobucket-19131-1388109881878_zpsdcce260a.jpg
View Quote

It's...........beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:21:42 PM EDT
[#27]
" f n g" Here. Sorry not A hijack,. On  MK211 pulls, do they need to be resized before reloading. I have come in to a box full of pulls and loaded.. thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 1:30:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
" f n g" Here. Sorry not A hijack,. On  MK211 pulls, do they need to be resized before reloading. I have come in to a box full of pulls and loaded.. thanks for any info.
View Quote

I would resize them if you aren't sure.

I ran thru some sized ones I bought just to be sure.

I use the LEE sizer.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 4:10:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#30]
Carguym14 Thanks          50 Shooter ,Living on the border makes it nice. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 10:19:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quack,
I see you list CA as your home, these are illegal even just the projos. So I know you have them in another state waiting for you to resize them there. Don't bring them into CA unless you want to lose your gun rights, spend a lot of money staying out of jail...

Shoot them in AZ or NV if that's where they're waiting for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quack,
I see you list CA as your home, these are illegal even just the projos. So I know you have them in another state waiting for you to resize them there. Don't bring them into CA unless you want to lose your gun rights, spend a lot of money staying out of jail...

Wow.  Did a little more searching and found this:

Exploding Ammunition: Eight states (California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, New York and Tennessee) prohibit the manufacture, transfer, purchase, and/or possession of bullets or projectiles that are designed to explode, segment or detonate upon impact with a target.

Know your local laws!

~Will
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:14:00 AM EDT
[#33]
They must not enforce the laws as my Raufoss rds came from florida.

Gunshops sold API and APIT all the time

Free

Quoted:

Know your local laws!

~Will
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quack,

Exploding Ammunition: Eight states (California, Florida, Hawaii, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, New York and Tennessee) prohibit the manufacture, transfer, purchase, and/or possession of bullets or projectiles that are designed to explode, segment or detonate upon impact with a target.

Know your local laws!

~Will

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:25:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Ignorance of the law doesn't preclude a person from prosecution.

Yeah, its about ENFORCEMENT.

AP and API are not considered EXPLOSIVE rounds.  Raufoss Mk 211 ?

Beats me, glad I live in Utah though!

I wouldn't confess in public to something possibly criminal though, the internet is just as public as the police station lobby.

Just me though.

~Will
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:54:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top