Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 3/3/2014 3:59:56 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the correct forum. Does anyone have an opinion on the hornady 50 bmg powder drop? I placed an order for one in November but still haven't gotten it. Does anyone know where I could find one? Or does anyone recommend a different brand?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 4:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 5:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
That powder measure looks nice but that is awfully expensive. I'm wondering if I can just use my hornady measure with the rifle insert and just make a few throws with it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I use an electronic Lyman 1200 powder measure.  I have tried several different ways of throwing charges including my Belding & Mull powder measure.  As a single throw type powder measure it has always been more accurate than anything else I've seen except for the electronic powder measures.  What I have found out is there is no way to throw multiple charges for a 50 BMG and have them accurately come out.  When you try to throw charges for a case the size of the 50 BMG any errors get multiplied.   Stick with a scale that is either manual or electronic and the automatic ones are really nice but not cheap.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 3:22:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That powder measure looks nice but that is awfully expensive. I'm wondering if I can just use my hornady measure with the rifle insert and just make a few throws with it.
View Quote

I use the full scale one so it only takes one drop to get all the powder in. But I also weigh the brass before dropping the powder in it and zero out the scale on that weight. After I drop the powder in which I usually do a little under the grain I am looking for. I then slowly add powder until I get the required weight I was going for. If you want to use the small one for example if you want 212gr you can make 5 drops of 42gr which comes to 210gr then just load up manually from there.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:21:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I use my standard Lyman powder drop.  

I throw two drops into each pan and then weigh them and adjust.  

I find that it is very acurate.

I have it set to be just about 1-3 grains high and then I scoop out just enought to make right.

It is quick and accurate for me.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help everyone. If I can't find a 50 bmg powder drop soon I will probably just throw multiple charges and adjust the powder after that.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:54:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the help everyone. If I can't find a 50 bmg powder drop soon I will probably just throw multiple charges and adjust the powder after that.
View Quote

For the a couple years I used a Lyman pistol powder throw and taped a 1 Liter plastic bottle with the bottom cut out on to the top to increase the holding capacity. I think I was able to do it in 2 throws and then use the electric trickle to finish off.
Then I bought the Hornady BMG beast and love it, I even have a bigger tube that fits it when loading hundreds at a time and stills throws pretty consistent till it runs real low..
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 2:40:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

For the a couple years I used a Lyman pistol powder throw and taped a 1 Liter plastic bottle with the bottom cut out on to the top to increase the holding capacity. I think I was able to do it in 2 throws and then use the electric trickle to finish off.
Then I bought the Hornady BMG beast and love it, I even have a bigger tube that fits it when loading hundreds at a time and stills throws pretty consistent till it runs real low..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem is I can't find that powder drop anywhere. Ideally that is what I'd like to use.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Just remember, that on a percentage basis, +/- .1gr on a 40gr charge is more than +/- .5gr on a 210gr charge.  Size matters.  Variations in brass, runout etc will have more of an effect on accuracy.  A consistent charge is good, but the time weighing every charge could be better spent elsewhere.  I check every tenth charge JIC, and keep the powder level over the baffle from varying too much.  This works for me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Am I the only person here using an electronic powder measure?  I don't think there is a more accurate consistent way to measure powder for loading a 50 BMG case.  When I set my Lyman 1200 to throw 221 grains of AA8700 pushing a 647 grain I know that every time it beeps it's got exactly 221 grains ready to pour in the case.  There is just no way to compare it to even the best powder measure that "throws" a measured quantity of powder.  Now throwing it and trickling it up to the right weight will work but I think I will stick with the Lyman 1200.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 2:51:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If you're reloading for competition then yeah, that's the best way. You want every charge to be the same all the time, everytime. Just like sorting brass, uniforming primer pockets, doing the flash holes, turning the necks....

If you're loading a thousand for an M2, who cares, as long as you get within +/- a grain or two it won't matter. Same as if you're just loading plinking ammo, doesn't make enough difference to worry about. You would just be wasting your time checking each and every load.

There's times to be anal and times to just load because you know you're shooting for fun. I will say that for ball and AP I really dont care but if I load a match grade bullet, I hand weigh every charge. Even if the shooting is just out with friends plinking, same goes for the brass prep. It still feels like I wouldn't be doing the bullet justice to just throw it in a crappy piece of brass with some +/- load.
View Quote

This is exactly it. I'm loading hundreds of rounds for plinking use only which would make the hornady drop ideal.

Thanks for all the tips.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 4:16:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're reloading for competition then yeah, that's the best way. You want every charge to be the same all the time, everytime. Just like sorting brass, uniforming primer pockets, doing the flash holes, turning the necks....

If you're loading a thousand for an M2, who cares, as long as you get within +/- a grain or two it won't matter. Same as if you're just loading plinking ammo, doesn't make enough difference to worry about. You would just be wasting your time checking each and every load.

There's times to be anal and times to just load because you know you're shooting for fun. I will say that for ball and AP I really dont care but if I load a match grade bullet, I hand weigh every charge. Even if the shooting is just out with friends plinking, same goes for the brass prep. It still feels like I wouldn't be doing the bullet justice to just throw it in a crappy piece of brass with some +/- load.
View Quote

Reloading in a nutshell. Well said 50_Shooter. Esp something like those AMax.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:06:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not sure if this is the correct forum. Does anyone have an opinion on the hornady 50 bmg powder drop? I placed an order for one in November but still haven't gotten it. Does anyone know where I could find one? Or does anyone recommend a different brand?

Thanks for the help.
View Quote

I have two Hornady 50 Powder Measures. Both are like new, just been mounted to powder stands. Pics available in area about Reloading Benches.(might need to zoom in to see) RCBS Tall Stands are extra if desired.
I will sell one or both for $110 each pre-paid cash or personal check. I will wait for check to cash.
I will ship at my expense then.

There are responders in this topic that know me. Ask for references if needed.

E-mail me at [email protected]

I'm not actually online very often here.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top