Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 1/30/2014 3:23:40 PM EDT
Contacted them about the firing pin sticking forward. Was told to send a picture of the firing pin to see if I have the newer one. Apparently they have a design change. Just an FYI.
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 6:12:47 PM EDT
[#1]
An out of battery discharge would suck.
Even worse than suck...
Link Posted: 1/30/2014 11:14:39 PM EDT
[#2]
When I put the bolt together, the firing pin protrudes a bit which scared me enough to contact them. Have rotated the pin too but still sticks. Thought maybe the spring was bad. Previous owner said 90 rounds total was shot out of it. Would think the spring would last a bit longer. Sent in the photos so waiting on a response. Looking at there web site, the replacement pin you can buy looks different.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#3]
shit,, now you have me checking mine.....smiley
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:09:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Just got an email from them. They want the entire bolt sent in. Glad its winter. To friggin cold to shoot up here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 5:30:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Before you put one round in your SHF 50 you need to get this issue 110% resolved. This is a known issue. Safety Harbor had a problem with some of their firing pins awhile back. For whatever reason the FP would mushroom and then become sticky in the channel. I assumed this has been resolved as of late? My friend has a SH upper from 5 or 6 years back. No firing pin issues so far. Another friend had a replacement pin sent to him. His gun was only 2 or 3 years old at the time. Both of these guns have many hundreds of rounds through them.

Your doing the right thing getting back with the factory. Perhaps they will send you an upgraded pin for free? If not I would definitely purchase one and a couple of new springs while I was at it. Disassemble the bolt and make sure the firing pin channel is clean, clear and smooth. The FP should slide freely in there.

Checking your firing pin should be part of your regular maintenance. I also would make it a habit to check that the firing pin has free movement & the return spring has sufficient return strength before a shooting session. I also think its a good idea to visually or by feel (run your finger across the bolt face) check the FP is not sticking up past the bolt face while shooting. I hear some people do this before loading every single round.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The previous owner mentioned the pin but when I took it apart to clean, it was sticking pretty bad. Knew then not to shoot it until I got this resolved. I always strip any new firearm I get so I know to inspect parts when cleaning.
Link Posted: 2/13/2014 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Got it back today. New pin design. Looks like a completely new bolt too. Talked to them a few days ago to find out what they found out on the issue. Said it was a bent firing pin. Am a happy camper now. Kudos to safety harbor for correcting this on there dime. Still suggest folks who own one to check your firing pin to see if you have the old or new design. You can compare it to the one on line in the spare parts section.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:24:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Great news. Glad to see Safety Harbor stepping up and taking care of problems. Too many companies first instinct is to try and wriggle out of getting things taken care of and keeping their customers happy along with preserving their reputations. In the long run this is a very poor way to do business. Safety Harbor isn't the only company to have sticky firing pins. Diligent inspections and maintenance is a must, not an option when shooting the big five-O.

It sounds like the FP was improperly heat treated? I heard of the tips becoming flared from battering on .50 BMG's hard primers. This shouldn't happen with a properly hardened FP. Friend had a similar issue with his SHTF 50 (now my SHTF 50 heh, heh). Safety Harbor also fixed his even though it was out of warranty. Well now that your guns fixed, just a scope and your ready to shoot it!
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I have my eye on a swfa 20x scope for 299.00. Can't beat the price for something I will use a couple times a year.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Anyone have the new firing pin having issues? Finally shot mine a week ago and the pin will not come out for cleaning. Looks like the pin head mushroomed just enough to keep it from coming out. Already contacted SH. Sending the entire bolt assembly back for them to see it and fix it. Could have forced it out (won't come out pulling with pliers) and have them send me another pin for free if damaged but think they should see whats going on.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Get a Ferret and be done with this kind of stuff. Ferret will cam back the firing pin. If I wont come back, then you have big issues. Have shot about 480 rounds through it and no problems. Know others with higher count and no problems. Bohica, ALS, and Safety Harbor (which does not sound that safe) all seem to be having problems. When was the last time you heard anyone that owns a Ferret come on here or any other forum and have a complaint about their Ferret? And cant say I have heard any complaints about them Barretts either.
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:01:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info. Just looked at there site and they look pretty good. Might have to consider them if I build another. This one was just to see if I want to get into 50 BMG. Probably my next one will be a Barret bolt action. For now, this will do.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 1:16:33 PM EDT
[#13]
I have to agree...there are better 50's out there than SHF.  I had a major problem with one of them right out of the box.  If you want a lightweight single shot, consider a Serbu.  I have not read anything negative on their BFG-50 series.  If you want a bench rifle built like a tank, then consider the AR-50.  Both can be had for under 3 grand.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 6:21:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I decided to get the pin out myself. Had to file the head a bit to get it to work properly again. Still won't shoot it. Found a pin manufacturer that can make one out of titanium for 35 bucks. Would have to agree with statements on better 50's out there after trying to deal with safety harbor. Told them I got it out and what I had to do. All they wanted was to mail the bolt in to fix it. I already did fix it. Don't want another pin that will do the same thing after 15 rounds. Once I fix it and know its safe to fire, will sell it and save for a good one. Suggest anyone who has a saftey harbor 50 BMG to carefully check your firing pin after firing 10 rounds or so. If your pin mushrooms at the head, could stick forward causing a premature discharge when you load.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 9:25:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the info, sucks to have these problems.
I remember when you first posted about wanting one, which lower, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 12:42:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I decided to get the pin out myself. Had to file the head a bit to get it to work properly again. Still won't shoot it. Found a pin manufacturer that can make one out of titanium for 35 bucks. Would have to agree with statements on better 50's out there after trying to deal with safety harbor. Told them I got it out and what I had to do. All they wanted was to mail the bolt in to fix it. I already did fix it. Don't want another pin that will do the same thing after 15 rounds. Once I fix it and know its safe to fire, will sell it and save for a good one. Suggest anyone who has a saftey harbor 50 BMG to carefully check your firing pin after firing 10 rounds or so. If your pin mushrooms at the head, could stick forward causing a premature discharge when you load.
View Quote

This is why I run my finger across the bolt face before every round and honestly I would do it with any 50 as a mistake with this caliber is usually disfiguring or fatal.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:31:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Sorry to hear that the firing pin issue is still happening. This shouldn't be that hard to fix. Sounds like improper heat treatment or they are buying their firing pins from China. I have two of these SHTF 50's and haven't had the firing pin problem (knock on wood). I check mine all the time but after hundreds of rounds through these two guns, so far so good. One had a slightly tight chamber but that seems to be loosening up. The quality seems to be a bit of hit and miss with Safety Harbor? The titanium FP sounds like the way to go. Post the info when you get it.

My friend has the Barrett 99 single shot and it's a nice gun, big and heavy but nice. If your bench shooting its fine for that. Shoulder firing is possible but its a heavy gun so you have to muscle it. It was just about double the price of a single shot Safety Harbor 50.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 9:55:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Sending bolt in tomorrow. Will post pics when I get it back. Was thinking the same on either bad heat treatment or bad purchase order. Either way, I want it safe. Will see how it shoots when I get it back. Seems to be the only issue with it. Its not that bad of a rifle for the money. Maybe down the road I will get a barrett if I deside to upgrade. Will keep you guys up to date on my findings.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:04:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Looks like it will be at least a month before getting the firing pin. They are a month behind right now. Wish they would have told me they were behind when talking with them.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 7:21:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like it will be at least a month before getting the firing pin. They are a month behind right now. Wish they would have told me they were behind when talking with them.
View Quote

Hey Bearcat how much are they I may be interested in one of these I have had no firing pin problems but a little insurance does not hurt!
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:38:39 PM EDT
[#21]
$35 bucks. I had to send entire bolt but would guess they make a blue print for future orders. Since they haven't started on mine, maybe give them a call to have them make one for you. http://www.firingpin.net/
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:22:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
a little insurance does not hurt!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Considering that you would be maimed or killed by a protruding firing pin in a 50, this is an understatement!  Safety Harbor
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Considering that you would be maimed or killed by a protruding firing pin in a 50, this is an understatement!  Safety Harbor
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I said that also a few posts up
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Received my scope and rings in yesterday. Might have to bug these guys to get my bolt and pin back asap so I can go check out this scope.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#25]
have you all seen the guys hands after his .50 fired out of battery?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Been researching a little about Titanium firing pins. My question and perhaps an expert on metals can answer this. Basically Ti. has a high tensile strength to weight vs many high grade steels but is it truly the best material for making a firing pin? If weight is not a concern, and it isn't really in this case, there are much stronger alloys of steel. The secret for making a good firing pin is using the correct steel and following the correct heat treatment procedures after machining to get the proper hardness restored.

This really shouldn't even be issue for a firearms manufacturer of any mettle. Granted the primers for 50BMG are know to be thicker and harder than regular rifle primers but where still talking brass or copper vs tool steel. I'm not a machinist but have a pretty good basic understanding of different alloys used for different purposes in making a firearm. I always look at what materials go into the manufacturer of a firearm I am purchasing. I was more than satisfied with the steels used to build the main parts of my Safety Harbor, receiver & bolt 4130, barrel 4140 and bolt head 4340 This firing pin thing is a mystery. Below is a link to a discussion of machinist as to which steel is best to use when building a firing pin.    

Best metal & heat treatment for making a firing pin
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 1:22:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I went with titanium due to it doesn't rust and light weight but mainly for no rust. Should be strong enough to outlast the rifle AFAIK. If someone with knowledge on titanium care to chime in, please do so.
Link Posted: 6/8/2014 8:38:24 PM EDT
[#28]
It can work-harden and crack.

Like the Russian Alfa Subs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Well, I finally got the pin. Will be testing tomorrow.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:57:42 PM EDT
[#30]
It turned out nice. Ti is pretty stuff.

If it works out well for you I might get one. Good to have a spare of two around. I just inspected my stock Safety Harbor firing pin and it seems to be holding up relatively well. The very tip was just starting to mushroom and leans a tiny bit. Not bad and doesn't come close to even sticking. Moves freely in the channel. There is over a 125 rounds on it so far.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:46:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Mine mushroomed just enough it wouldn't come out but it still functioned. Was pissed it did it after 15 rounds on a new pin. Should be shooting around 20 rounds today with a bit hotter load than what I shot from survivalops. Get to finally sight in the new scope I put on. SWFA 20x42. Will inspect the pin afterwards just to check it out but don't expect any issues. Since those guys has the info to turn another pin, shouldn't take long to get one. Mine was the 1st for them. told them to get with safety harbor to sell them pins for upgrades.
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Just an FYI, the titanium pin mushroomed just enough that I had to get a center punch to get it out. Was hoping this pin would be the answer but guess not. Time to look for another pin.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Sounds like it's time to dump the SH and get something safer.
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Nah. Wear and tare. Just have to tweek some parts to make it better. Pushing out a 800 gr pill throws some serious jolting out of a 22 inch barrel. Besides, don't have big bucks to invest in what I want at the moment.
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 7:26:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I wonder when this "issue" was addressed in production. Last April I bought two for friends of mine, and October I bought one for my self (all three were just uppers). Nothing noted on mine, and nothing from my friends concerning theirs....course I've only shot ten rounds out of mine, but that'll change as weather & time allow.  
Link Posted: 11/25/2014 8:20:36 PM EDT
[#36]
I would tell you to keep an eye on your pin after every firing. Was told to send mine in when I reported it to SH. There pin may have not been properly heat treated. I decided to try another route and order a titanium. I shot about 40 rounds on the titanium before this happened. Am reloading now so will back off the powder to see if this helps. Will have to wait until spring to see how my reloads do unless we get a few days of semi warm weather. BTW, since you own one, have you noticed its a tad hard to close your bolt when you load a round? What ammo did you shoot?
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:39:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Have you blued up a round to see where the binding spot is on a tight round?
If on neck diameter, you may need to turn the necks.
If on mouth of case, your chamber may be short and the brass may need to b e trimmed shorter than 3.900".
If on the shoulder, you need to bump the shoulder back more by adjusting your die down.
If on the Body, then you may need a smaller die like a Hornady, or send thru a RCBS Trim die to size the base of body a bit more.
If you can, try different lubes for case sizing, it will make a difference.
If all else fails, bring it to me.
Otherwise, send it back to manufacturer or sell it to be someone else's problem (which I hate as I end up with them).

Bring your firing pins, I may try to make you a couple out of O-1 tool steel. Or send me one.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Firing Pin.
How much protrusion from bolt face when fully forward?
How deep are you seating your primers?
Are you uniforming the primer pocket?
Are you "Arming the Primer" ?
Is it possible your firing pin is extending to point it strikes the Anvil inside the primer after piercing the cup?
Have you had any blowback or burnt primer faces?
Are you using a heavy hammer or hammer spring?
Are you using Tula primers or CCI#35 Arsenal primers or others?
Lots of factors here that will determine the wear pattern on a firing pin. You should not be having the problems you have. I have 4200+ rounds on my AR-50 and 3400+ on my State Arms rifle. I have changed the pin on my State Arms rifle only because the old one looked "worn" - it is still useable and is my spare or if anyone else needs it at a Match.

What loading are you using with the 800's?
Does your projectile touch the rifling?
If using your magazine, the rounds in the mag could be suffering from setback under recoil.
Check it out, as pressures rise quickly.

More later. Waiting for some answers from you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I would tell you to keep an eye on your pin after every firing. Was told to send mine in when I reported it to SH. There pin may have not been properly heat treated. I decided to try another route and order a titanium. I shot about 40 rounds on the titanium before this happened. Am reloading now so will back off the powder to see if this helps. Will have to wait until spring to see how my reloads do unless we get a few days of semi warm weather. BTW, since you own one, have you noticed its a tad hard to close your bolt when you load a round? What ammo did you shoot?
View Quote

I'm shooting my own hand loads from once fired LC brass: 647grAPI over 220gr WC860 full length sized, trimmed, reamed, polished before resizing and again after sizing/trimming/reaming/etc.  We've used this same formula with ammo fired in a Barrett, and AR-50, and thee SH's  Once in a while one is a little "snug" but it's nothing distracting.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the info on the WC860. I have 4 jugs of it I got in a deal and finding load data isn't easy on that stuff. Loaded a few from 200 to 220 ball to see how it shoots. Just waiting for warmer weather to go try but that might not be until spring.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:28:01 AM EDT
[#41]
I have a Safety Harbor upper. I had them replace the firing pin once - it bent and mushroomed. The new one mushroomed in a few rounds. I had someone make a pin for me, and it works, but I'm too wary of the gun to even bother shooting it any more.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:09:53 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a Safety Harbor upper. I had them replace the firing pin once - it bent and mushroomed. The new one mushroomed in a few rounds. I had someone make a pin for me, and it works, but I'm too wary of the gun to even bother shooting it any more.
View Quote

You have the round one, correct? When I bought a used one, it had a triangle one. It was bent enough that the pin stuck forward. Called them up and was told they redesigned the pin to a round one. Had to send the entire bolt in. Shot about 30 rounds with the new pin. When I cleaned it, found the pin mushroomed. When I contacted them, was told to send it in for them to look at it. Screw it. Found a place making custom titanium firing pins. Would have thought that would have solved this problem. Nope. BUT, I did find that the pin holding the hammer in moved enough to cock the hammer a little. I didn't catch this until recently. So the hammer did hit the pin at a slight angle.
I have 20 rounds I reloaded that I have to test out when the weather permits. Will do a close inspection again to see if the problem persists. Have looked at other 50BMG bolt and would have to say the design of the Safety Harbor bolt is a design flaw that should be redone. I enjoy shooting the beast when I get a chance. For the cost, about the cheapest way to get into 50BMG.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#43]
You left before I had a chance to modify your pin by turning down and radiusing the end of the pin such that more hammer deformation would need to occur before lockup.
Sorry, we got busy discussing other things, and then you had to go.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 11:39:36 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

You have the round one, correct? When I bought a used one, it had a triangle one. It was bent enough that the pin stuck forward. Called them up and was told they redesigned the pin to a round one. Had to send the entire bolt in. Shot about 30 rounds with the new pin. When I cleaned it, found the pin mushroomed. When I contacted them, was told to send it in for them to look at it. Screw it. Found a place making custom titanium firing pins. Would have thought that would have solved this problem. Nope. BUT, I did find that the pin holding the hammer in moved enough to cock the hammer a little. I didn't catch this until recently. So the hammer did hit the pin at a slight angle.
I have 20 rounds I reloaded that I have to test out when the weather permits. Will do a close inspection again to see if the problem persists. Have looked at other 50BMG bolt and would have to say the design of the Safety Harbor bolt is a design flaw that should be redone. I enjoy shooting the beast when I get a chance. For the cost, about the cheapest way to get into 50BMG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is my one and only AR lower that has KNS pins. Why they didn't put a J spring in the hammer puzzles me.

Actually it doesn't. The upper screams "missed all the details". The magazine release frequently releases under recoil - I think if they'd used a push button it would have worked better. The magwell is unreasonably tight - a little chamfer around the lip would make it much easier to use.
Link Posted: 12/15/2014 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#45]
My magazine never moves once clipped in. Suggest you check that spring on the latch.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:18:21 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are some critical dimensions of the firing pin
to use as datum points.  I have a new unfired pin and
one with 75 rounds on it.  The unfired pin was purchased as
a spare and is from the same production run as one in upper.
Both pins were chucked in a drill press, hand spun checked under
10x magnification for deformation.  Both showed zero deflection.

Only factory 647 FMJ ammo used. No reloads

New unfired firing pin:

Overall length = 5.9150
Diameter at firing tip = .0760
Diameter before taper = .0760

75 round count firing pin:

Overall length = 5.9135

Result:
No change except overall length delta = .0015
Did not measure fired pin prior to use, so dimensional
change could be attributed to both production
tolerance and usage.

Hope this is of some help to those experiencing trouble.

Happy Holidays!
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Great testing results. I haven't had any problems to speak of with the firing pin in my 2 Safety Harbor SHTF uppers and I have 100's of round fired. A friends SH bolt was returned for a sticky firing pin and the matter resolved under warranty. I just visually check the FP and make sure it slides in the bolt correctly, not sticking etc. I shoot commercial reloads or new stuff and nothing exotic. Not sure what's going on with these FP's failing. This shouldn't be happening in such few shots. The FP is hardened tool steel vs copper. I suspect it has to do with some manufacturing process. Improper heat treatment maybe?

Quoted:
Here are some critical dimensions of the firing pin
to use as datum points.  I have a new unfired pin and
one with 75 rounds on it.  The unfired pin was purchased as
a spare and is from the same production run as one in upper.
Both pins were chucked in a drill press, hand spun checked under
10x magnification for deformation.  Both showed zero deflection.

Only factory 647 FMJ ammo used. No reloads

New unfired firing pin:

Overall length = 5.9150

75 round count firing pin:

Overall length = 5.9135

Result:
No change except overall length delta = .0015
Did not measure fired pin prior to use, so dimensional
change could be attributed to both production
tolerance and usage.

Hope this is of some help to those experiencing trouble.

Happy Holidays!
View Quote

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top