Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 10/27/2012 3:18:53 AM EDT
I recently purchased  my first 50 in unfired condition from a board member here. A State Arms "Rebel". I had been looking for a 50 for some time and had looked at a host of options. I eventually decided for a 1st rifle I wanted to spend $3000 or less. This narrowed the field of options considerably. Contenders were the AR-50, ALS upper and Taclite uppers. I eventually dropped the idea of the AR-50 as I am left handed and the commonly available (and more affordable) right handed models are less than ideal for a southpaw. I eventually opted for the State Arms rifle vs an upper as I wanted: 1) a stand alone rifle 2) The uppers I was looking at would all be over $3K by the time a nice dedicated lower with PRS stock and good trigger and fifty proof bipod were added.

I am Very happy with my choice! Delivered price on a new rifle is approx $2750
The State Arms rifles are a great value for the money. The machine work on my rifle is excellent. The finish is consistent and attractive. The included bipod is extremely sturdy and well engineered; it is adjustable for height and cant and there is a tension screw to adjust the effort it takes to cant the rifle. This rifle is HEAVY 37lb with a 36" barrel and a 6" muzzle break overall length is 58". Expect to spend $250 for a decent hard case that will fit this rifle. I don't think too many humans could shoot this rifle off hand, the weight is all way forward, this is strictly a bench, bipod or bag gun  The trigger is excellent, singles stage, zero creep, 3.5lb with no discernible  take up on my rifle. The laminate thumb-hole  stock  on my rifle is attractive and comfortable, however even with low rings the comb height is too low for a good cheek weld. I added a custom 1" cheek pad from 'cheek and stock' and am happy with the result. If I were to buy another of these rifles I would opt for the chassis stock because of the adjustable comb height. I wasn't sure if I would be pleased with a shell holder type bolt action. Having used this one I am. The action is super robust, extraction is very positive with the huge bolt handle, the brass always comes out of the gun cool to the touch and there is no chasing your brass down, after all everyone saves .50 brass! This gun has no manual safety, I thought this odd but considering the intended purpose of this rifle it doesn't seem to be a detractor, there really is no reason to carry this rifle around loaded as trust me, you don't want to carry it around period. Shooting impression was good. Recoil is minimal, less that a 1903 in .30-06. I attribute this to the weight and muzzlebreak. I have been shooting surplus pulldown ammo from 'survivalops' (which I think is a fantastic bargain!) the gun has been shooting approx 2moa with m33 ball at ranges between 100 and 950 yards. This accuracy is I am quite sure ammo limited. I will report my results shooting 750gr amax loads when I get the chance to. I have no doubt the gun is capable of sub MOA accuracy given the right ammo. For now I am using a fixed 16x Super Sniper scope,now with burris low xtr rings. The scope seems to be decent  for the money and thus far tracking and return to zero have been reliable.

So in short I am very pleased with this rifle, I look forward to seeing what it will do with the right load past 1000yds.  Everyone who sees this rifle is impressed. I would recommend this rifle to anyone looking for an affordable robust and accurate 50

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n410/honkeytonk_man/IMG_1659.jpg

http://i338.photobucket.com/albums/n410/honkeytonk_man/IMG_1658.jpg
Link Posted: 10/27/2012 3:12:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Beautiful rifle.  I have a "Shorty" with a 30" stainless bull barrel.  Yeah ... HEAVY.  

Fit and finish on these rifles is really first rate.  I think these rifles are flat out the best value out there.  And customer service is top notch too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 1:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree with both the above posts. I have 6 State Arms rifles and have shot 4-5 inch groups at 1000 yards with match ammo. Most of mine are 30" barrels along with a 36" and an 18" barrel and some extra 27", 28" and 29" barrels. I like the 30" the best for ballance. Shot my best groups with 30" barrels.
Larry has great customer service and precision work.

Ed
Link Posted: 10/28/2012 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
4-5" groups at 1,000 yards.  Wow.  What's the set up on your gun with the 30" tube?  (Curious what my gun would do.)
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
4-5" groups at 1,000 yards.  Wow.  What's the set up on your gun with the 30" tube?  (Curious what my gun would do.)

Loathar Walther barrel, 8-32x56 NXS, alluminum stock, shooting AAA-AMMO DOMINATOR X 768gr bore riders with 233gr of H50BMG @ 2663fps

Link Posted: 10/29/2012 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#5]
So ... I could potentially get that kind of accuracy from my gun then.  It's got a stainless Loathar Walther bull barrel.  I have a Shuetzen stock though. Don't know if it's free float but in this case I'm thinking it probably wouldn't matter.

In any event, I'm going to venture that you're probably a better shot than I am so it's safe to say that the gun is more accurate than I am.
Link Posted: 10/29/2012 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/3/2012 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#7]
I bought a Rebel brand new in june. GREAT rifle. i went to one 1k yard match and me best group was 17.~ inches. i have a SWFA 20x on it.  

before a got my SWFA i put a S.P.O.T. scope just to shoot it surprisingly held up to the 20 rds i put through it.
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 12:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]

Apocalypticpyro, nice looking rifle. What loads were you shooting when you shot that group? Are you happy with your super sniper or are there plans to upgrade?
Link Posted: 11/5/2012 1:08:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Wcc 06 brass. Cci 35s 750gr amax an h50 bmg powder. Planned on upgrading. But when I got the scope I decided I'll keep it on for a while. I really like it. Now I just wish they'd make a 6-20x for my other rifles.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top