Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2011 1:37:44 PM EDT
Im looking at the single shot upper. i really like the 29" barrel and will have a dedicated lower with a prs stock. I called SHF and they said their uppers are 1 moa with match loads. Does anyone have one. Hows the quality and accuracy. What would the farthest you could shoot this gun accurately with match ammo, by an experienced shooter.
thanks
sean
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im looking at the single shot upper. i really like the 29" barrel and will have a dedicated lower with a prs stock. I called SHF and they said their uppers are 1 moa with match loads. Does anyone have one. Hows the quality and accuracy. What would the farthest you could shoot this gun accurately with match ammo, by an experienced shooter.
thanks
sean

Hmmm, I've always heard on here they weren't 1 MOA... if they actually ARE, then I'm getting rid of the fucking LAR Grizzly, LOL
Link Posted: 12/4/2011 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't doubt it could hold sub MOA with the 29" bbl...
It's basically the same as the Serbu design and my 29" BFG50 shoots that well easily enough.

I also have an UltraMag50 (the early version of the SafetyHarbor design) in 22".  I only have a 4moa red-dot holosight on it, so I can't comment on scope accuracy other than to say it holds within that 4moa dot at 100yds without any problem.

Walter's having a sale this month too...  
Safety Harbor December sale

Link Posted: 12/4/2011 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I really like the look of the prs stock on the shf single shot. i keep going back and forth with this and the armalite ar50 but the problem is Im gonna have to spend atleast 1k on good optics and honestly theres not even a range to shoot it around here and chances are its going to be a safe queen
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#4]
MR bean or anyone would an armalite ar50 be more accurate than the shf upper at say 1000-1400 yards with same ammo. would it be a huge accuracy differnece if so how much
Link Posted: 12/5/2011 1:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Shooting from the bench the AR50 would be the better choice.  Much heavier, and a better muzzle brake.  Throat is a bit too long for std ammo, but if you handload you can get very good results.

The SHF (and other) conversions are mainly lightweight tactical rifles.  You can hike around with them much more easily and shoot accurately off-hand or from makeshift rest.

Another alternative is the ALS upper (50bmg.net).   It's a match quality conversion with a very good record of winning at the FCSA meets.  It's priced competitively, but I believe delivery time are still pretty long.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#6]
yeah i called ALS and its 18 months for an upper and was like nope sorry. So the shf 50 upper wouldnt be capable of good accuracy at 1000 yards with match ammo
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:49:35 PM EDT
[#7]
most all .50s are capable of 'good' accuracy at 1000yds... really just depends on how much the shooter is willing to put into practicing.
More weight, better scopes, better triggers, better ammo matched to the gun and lots of trigger time learning to read the wind/mirage all contribute to ultimate accuracy at long range.  

After much practice with my Serbu, I can usually shoot under 1moa at 1-400yds easily, but only 1.5moa groups at 1000yds with AMAX ammo.  I recently got the trigger upgraded to break at 2lbs rather the 4lbs it originally was.  Hopefully, that'll help me get my group avg. down below 1moa.  If not, then I'll have to concede that the Serbu and me aren't going to be any 'better' at 1000.  :)  (26lb BFG50 29"bbl, NXS 5.5-22)  I'll be trying some new Lehigh hybrid match solids too along with my AMAX loads.

Even the best gun won't do well in competition if the person behind the trigger doesn't do their part well either... :)
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:11:08 PM EDT
[#8]
basically i want a nice weapon in my collection its kind of like yea i can get the shf 50 for 1550 29" put it on a dedicated lower and prs stock and i already have the nightforce 5.5-22 x 56 or should i drop 2700 on an armalite ar50. if the armalite shoots 7 inch moa at 1000 and the shf shoots 10 moa at a thousand then id rather get the shf. i really want something that if shit goes down and i need to hit something 1000 yards away that i can confidently do it with the weapon i purchase. So mrBen which would you suggest.would you feel confident having a shf upper and needed to do some long range work at 1000 yards/ I also like the ferrett but im not waiting 6 months for any gun
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 11:35:31 PM EDT
[#9]
with more practice, and favorable conditions you could hit reliably at 1000yds with the lightweight conversions,  it's just faster to get to that point with the ar50...The downside is that the AR50 is not very portable, so if it's more important to be able to run 'n gun, the lighter conversions are the better deal.

I have 3 conversion uppers for my dedicated DPMS single shot lower... a 22" UltraMag50 in .50bmg, an 18" UltraLite50 in .50spotter, and a 32" .416barrett.
I'll probably add a .338LM conversion at some point as well.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 4:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]
since BOHICA went tits up, i would by the http://www.tactilite.com/ over the SH.. the SH design is the same as the UL's, and they were 2 to 3 MOA guns at best.. zel change the way the barrel attached to make his version more accurate after he bought out UL
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:24:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
since BOHICA went tits up, i would by the http://www.tactilite.com/ over the SH.. the SH design is the same as the UL's, and they were 2 to 3 MOA guns at best.. zel change the way the barrel attached to make his version more accurate after he bought out UL

I had to call zel custom yesterday, I must say they are very nice to deal with, I bought a new tactilite upper off of gun broker and it turned out to be an older one when they had the recall on the bolt handle. I gave them a call and the bolt is headed their way now, He said they made a few upgrade to it also that they will do to mine, such as the ability to use Timney triggers. . just thought I would share
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:15:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The UltraMag50/SHF design is not the same as the old UltraLite50....
The original UL50 was sort of a tensioned barrel setup with a threaded area that accommodated the bushing that held the hand guard back against the receiver.
Too, the UM50/SHF is more like the BFG50 in that the receiver and barrel extension are made in two parts, then TIG welded together.  The UL50 was made as a single machined part.

I don't know how the new TactiLites are put together, haven't seen one yet... anybody have pics?
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#13]
i like the taclite t1 what kind of accuracy are these uppers producing with standard 29 " barrel
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 5:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a 22" SHF50.  Now I haven't fired it, but its a nice 50 BMG.  Very solid, and great price.  I went with the 22" due to only having a 400 meter range, and I wanted something more "tactical".

Link Posted: 12/27/2011 7:00:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
most all .50s are capable of 'good' accuracy at 1000yds... really just depends on how much the shooter is willing to put into practicing.
More weight, better scopes, better triggers, better ammo matched to the gun and lots of trigger time learning to read the wind/mirage all contribute to ultimate accuracy at long range.  

After much practice with my Serbu, I can usually shoot under 1moa at 1-400yds easily, but only 1.5moa groups at 1000yds with AMAX ammo.  I recently got the trigger upgraded to break at 2lbs rather the 4lbs it originally was.  Hopefully, that'll help me get my group avg. down below 1moa.  If not, then I'll have to concede that the Serbu and me aren't going to be any 'better' at 1000.  :)  (26lb BFG50 29"bbl, NXS 5.5-22)  I'll be trying some new Lehigh hybrid match solids too along with my AMAX loads.

Even the best gun won't do well in competition if the person behind the trigger doesn't do their part well either... :)

This.  An old machinist once told me....a good machinist can make good parts on a crappy machine. An un-experienced machinist can make bad parts on a good machine. Practice. Practice. Practice.

I really believe that experience with your rifle makes all of the difference in the world. When you figure out that your skill exceeds your rifles capability, THEN it is time to move up with your equipment.  Having a Ferrari does not make you Mario Andretti. ETA....yeah. The Ferrari does look REALLY cool in your driveway though!
Link Posted: 12/27/2011 11:22:46 PM EDT
[#16]
It's been years since I've shot one of the Safety Harbor rifles, but IIRC they printed about 1.5 MOA, and that definitely wasn't with handloads.  I'd expect them to be MOA capable with the right handload.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 1:12:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 5:12:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hey Ben, do you still have a pic of me shooting it off hand? Or was that the BOSTINKA? I know you had one of Cheryl shooting the BFG or your SHF off hand.

That was a 16" BOHICA...

I do have a link to a cousin shooting my UM50 in AZ on Christmas day.  He posted it on Facebook, so I'm not certain it'll play for anyone else:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2343304944476

This is another early UM50 shooter:
UltraMag50

The muzzle brakes on the latest SHF rifles are more effective than the early versions in these vids... more like the Serbu 'shark' brake as seen below.

This is Cheryl shooting her BFG Carbine at Lytle Creek a few years back:

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top