Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 4/27/2011 4:32:04 PM EDT
I'm getting setup to reload the 50 and have a couple questions.  I've put around 80 rounds thru my Bohica upper so far and enjoy it.  I plan to load some SA 690 fmj's for plinking and the Lehigh 650 solids for "accuracy".  I won't be competing, but I hope to get decent results w/ the Lehighs.  I've got a BUNCH of the WC872 from Wideners on the way.

I have the Lee reloading kit sitting in a box.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the ability to trim cases.  What is the best value for case trimmers for the 50bmg.

From what I've read, I'll also need a primer pocket uniformer.  Again, any value favorites?

Anything else you can think of that I'll need?  I can get primers locally, and I have 220 more loaded rounds as a source of brass.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm getting setup to reload the 50 and have a couple questions.  I've put around 80 rounds thru my Bohica upper so far and enjoy it.  I plan to load some SA 690 fmj's for plinking and the Lehigh 650 solids for "accuracy".  I won't be competing, but I hope to get decent results w/ the Lehighs.  I've got a BUNCH of the WC872 from Wideners on the way.

I have the Lee reloading kit sitting in a box.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't have the ability to trim cases.  What is the best value for case trimmers for the 50bmg.

From what I've read, I'll also need a primer pocket uniformer.  Again, any value favorites?

Anything else you can think of that I'll need?  I can get primers locally, and I have 220 more loaded rounds as a source of brass.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the Lee kit and I'm pretty sure mine came with the case gauge to trim .50 cases.  I'm not gonna say it's a good trimmer but it trims.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 6:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a KLM case trimmer. While trimming the length it also chamfers and deburs the mouth. If your not going to compete, then I dont think that a primer pocket uniformer is required. I use my chamfer/deburer with a cordless drill to cut the crimp.

The KLM trimmer is great. But it does make a sharp opening for the mouth so be careful handling the cases.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 8:10:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I liked the K&M trimmer and primer pocket uniformer.   I had some FNH brass that had super shallow primer pockets so it came in handy.   Also, the K&M trimmer has it's length set by a pin that goes through the flash hole and hits the boss on the K&M case holder, so your trim lengths will be more uniform if you uniform all primer pockets.
And yes the mouths come out very sharp as stated above.   Get a hammer and a case and you could stamp circles out of a piece of leather.
Link Posted: 4/27/2011 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#4]
From what I read, the Lee .50 BMG loading “kit” comes with a “trim-die” – where the case mouth enters the die and any of it that is sticking out the top is removed using a flat file.  The top face of the die is hardened, so the file doesn’t hurt the trim surface.  Messy as all hell – but it works and is a cheap way to at least get started.

I reload for numerous other calibers and plan to invest in the equipment to load .50 BMG as well.  I don’t currently use a primer pocket uniforming tool (to make pockets a precise depth), but I do use a flash hole uniforming tool that cuts the flash hole to a perfect size and removes any burr from the edge of the flash hole.

For trimming, I use a Lyman that comes with the “power drive” attachment – which is just a fancy name for a cutting shaft that fits a standard cordless drill.  I keep a couple of those little mini Lithium Ion battery powered cordless screwdrivers.  The carbide cutter upgrade makes trimming smooth and the cutter lasts WAY longer than the hardened steel ones that come with it.  I like this arrangement so I’ll be buying the Lyman trimmer for the 50.

Anyways, you (the OP) could be my twin from another dimension as I too have a bunch of SA 690gr bullets and the WC872 from Widner's.  I also just picked up a 100 of the Lehigh 650’s for “affordable accuracy” and a box each of A-max & Barnes Bore-riders – so it looks like we are thinking a whole lot alike on our respective goals for our rifles.  Good luck on your plans.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
From what I read, the Lee .50 BMG loading “kit” comes with a “trim-die” – where the case mouth enters the die and any of it that is sticking out the top is removed using a flat file.  The top face of the die is hardened, so the file doesn’t hurt the trim surface.  Messy as all hell – but it works and is a cheap way to at least get started.

I reload for numerous other calibers and plan to invest in the equipment to load .50 BMG as well.  I don’t currently use a primer pocket uniforming tool (to make pockets a precise depth), but I do use a flash hole uniforming tool that cuts the flash hole to a perfect size and removes any burr from the edge of the flash hole.

For trimming, I use a Lyman that comes with the “power drive” attachment – which is just a fancy name for a cutting shaft that fits a standard cordless drill.  I keep a couple of those little mini Lithium Ion battery powered cordless screwdrivers.  The carbide cutter upgrade makes trimming smooth and the cutter lasts WAY longer than the hardened steel ones that come with it.  I like this arrangement so I’ll be buying the Lyman trimmer for the 50.

Anyways, you (the OP) could be my twin from another dimension as I too have a bunch of SA 690gr bullets and the WC872 from Widner's.  I also just picked up a 100 of the Lehigh 650’s for “affordable accuracy” and a box each of A-max & Barnes Bore-riders – so it looks like we are thinking a whole lot alike on our respective goals for our rifles.  Good luck on your plans.

I've done the same as the OP...'.cept I don't even own a .50 yet....just want to be ready!

Bought the 8 lb container of WC872 along with 500 of those SA projectiles.....anyone know if I'll be able to load that many rounds with 8 lbs of powder?
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 8:57:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've done the same as the OP...'.cept I don't even own a .50 yet....just want to be ready!

Bought the 8 lb container of WC872 along with 500 of those SA projectiles.....anyone know if I'll be able to load that many rounds with 8 lbs of powder?

220gr per load, 7000gr in a pound, works out to about 250 loaded rounds for 8lbs of powder.  Not a snowballs chance in hell you'll get 500.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 2:40:06 PM EDT
[#7]
But on a bright side. When you order a box (read not tray) of CCI-35 primers. You will have enough to load all those bullets.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But on a bright side. When you order a box (read not tray) of CCI-35 primers. You will have enough to load all those bullets.

Yep, picked up a box of those as well.....just gonna have to get more powder it seems.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:03:43 PM EDT
[#9]
The lee 50bmg kit does NOT include a trimmer.
You can buy their cutter tool and 50bmg case length gauge for a total of maybe $25.
It works, but it's not the best tool for the job. It is better than a trim die, in my opinion.
You use a drill to spin the brass, and a cutting head held by hand (or a vice!) trims the brass.

A primer pocket uniformer IS A NECESSITY for 50bmg.
While they aren't always necessary on a standard caliber, there are too many variables with the 50bmg to skimp here.
There are too many variations in brass and primer pockets, and the primers themselves are too spendy to just waste.

I spent my first year reloading 50bmg without a uniformer, and it can be a pain. I flattened dozens of primers, and found out the hard way that several pieces of brass in my collection had shallow pockets.

I'm using the "ebay special" primer pocket uniformers. Theres a guy on there selling some pretty cheap...I have small, large, and BMG uniformers from him. They are a bit tricky to get adjusted, but once set they stay set...and they work well. It's also about the cheapest option.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Lee Cutter and Lock Stud Trimmer with the pilot 50 caliber rod that keeps the length the same for all rounds.  It rests in the empty primer pocket hole and I use a drill to spin the case.  It's fast and exact.  Much better then collet type trimmers in my opinion.  Also get yourself a Wilson Brass 50 BMG gage.
Link Posted: 4/29/2011 10:35:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I use a  L.E. Wilson 50 BMG trimmer which I made an adapter for so I can chuck it up into a drill... It works pretty awesome!

- Clint
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 5:33:31 AM EDT
[#12]
For primer pocket unifoming/cleaning/crimp removal on the .50 this will be the first place I will go:
K&M Tools

ETA I am planning on reloading with factory PMC BRONZE brass and am wondering if the pockets will even require such tools....military brass for sure, but how about commercial brass?
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 2:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I used a Lee until I bought a Giraud Super Trimmer. It seemed to do the job well until I started shooting my 50's a lot and talked myself into the price of the Giraud
Link Posted: 5/17/2011 7:18:39 AM EDT
[#14]
The Giraud is worth every penny if you're in it for the long haul.  Plus Doug is a great guy.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top