Site Notices
10/30/2014 3:55:04 PM
Author
Posted: 1/9/2009 4:19:42 PM
Everywhere I look, as far as the military SLAP and SLAP-T ammunition, I see footnotes that state "for M2HB only". Why? The only problem I can possibly see is if you have a weakly-attached muzzle brake that the sabot might interfere with. Just not sure why it is not approved for bolt guns.
nmmi9100
Will work for Guns...
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2009 4:53:21 PM
[Last Edit: 1/9/2009 4:56:47 PM by nmmi9100]
Originally Posted By md308:
Everywhere I look, as far as the military SLAP and SLAP-T ammunition, I see footnotes that state "for M2HB only". Why? The only problem I can possibly see is if you have a weakly-attached muzzle brake that the sabot might interfere with. Just not sure why it is not approved for bolt guns.

If the sabot petals get hung up in the muzzle brake, they'll yaw the bullet, and blow the brake off the gun. And considering that the bullet is rotating at about 140,000 rpm when a SLAP bullet leaves the muzzle, the sabots will most certainly discard within the brake, blowing it to crap.

It is stupid and dangerous to attempt to fire discarding sabot ammunition through any gun with a muzzle brake.

Don't do it. And by the way, thanks for asking. Better to ask than to just try it.

-David
Edgewood, NM
Pay now or pay later. Buy quality to start with and you'll only hurt once.
50_Shooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2009 4:53:22 PM
[Last Edit: 1/9/2009 5:10:20 PM by 50_Shooter]
The biggest problem is the muzzle brake, if you plan on shooting them you need to remove it or risk damaging it. Plus if it opens inside the brake and it sends pieces flying, you could be sued by other shooters that get hit by the pieces and injured. There's alot of forces at play with the .50 and getting hit by shrapnel is gonna leave a mark. If you've ever been sitting next to someone shooting a .50 and get hit by a piece of unburnt powder you know what I mean.

Another issue is getting them to chamber, most .50's can't chamber them due to the design. Now think about what's going to happen to that plastic sabot if you force it into the chamber to try to shoot it.

Lastly is the price, most sell for about $20 or so EACH, most people just want one for the collection and that's about it.
thebeekeeper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/9/2009 11:05:40 PM
Originally Posted By 50_Shooter:
<snip>

Lastly is the price, most sell for about $20 or so EACH, most people just want one for the collection and that's about it.

Are they available now, without being stolen?
50_Shooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 12:36:29 AM
Yes, you can get them.

I doubt any of it's stolen, I think that most of it gets to the market from companies that get it from the government for testing. They use X amount for whatever tests they do on armor or... then end up with some left over. Most will just keep it and use it if they feel the need but you have some that will just throw it up on the auction boards.

So technically it's not stolen, they just never returned the un-used ammo and saw a way to make a profit off the government. [>:/]
50_Shooter
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 12:59:18 AM
So, I was looking for something totally different and I found this thread about SLAP ammo from Gale McMillan.

http://yarchive.net/gun/rifle/50bmg_sabot.html
thebeekeeper1
Link To This Post
Posted: 1/10/2009 5:58:17 AM
Ah, thanks!
Armory » 50 Cal