Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 2:31:28 AM EDT
How are guys removing stuck pistons? I tried tapping it gently out with a .22 rod but it won't budge. Didn't think it'd be stuck this much after 325rds of brass case ammo. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:45:26 AM EDT
[#1]
tap harder.
my first took more effort than I thought,
after that, subsequent manipulations were easy
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had them stick many times (probably because of using Wolf ammo).

I keep a small "L shaped" allen wrench in the buttstock (stick it through a foam ear plug or you will lose it).

Stick the small end of the "L" through the receiver, and place it against the piston.  Hand manipulate the bolt carrier to hit the wrench (you're holding the long end outside the receiver).  The piston will pop right out the front.

You're effectively using the allen wrench and BC as a mini battering ram.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:34:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh, and I no longer routinely remove the piston for cleaning.  It really isn't necessary.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Oh, and I no longer routinely remove the piston for cleaning.  It really isn't necessary.
View Quote
If you go too long - one day you may be sorry. I've heard some horror stories on the FN Forum about that

I clean mine every time I fire it, and that includes removing the piston.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:26:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Clean it every time.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:47:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I clean my pistons maybe once every 2-3 years or so. Both rifles get roughly 300-1000 rounds a year through them. Never had an issue yet.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 8:32:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Shooting Sight makes a piston removal tool that slides down the rails for alignment and punches the piston out.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 6:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 on the Shooting Sight tool,cheap and makes piston removal easy.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
You can always pull the barrel and then use a punch to remove the piston.

AJ
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
+1 on the Shooting Sight tool,cheap and makes piston removal easy.
View Quote
+2, and Art's a good dude.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:54:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I purposely went 5000 rounds with no cleaning or lube to my 16.  The gas regulator had a hell of a carbon weld but I didn't have any more trouble popping the piston out than any other time.  Considering that the SCAR piston seems to be a design heavily influenced by the M1 Carbine, and my personal experience with it, I've come to the conclusion that it rarely needs to be cleaned, if at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top