Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2017 12:40:58 AM EDT
I have a accupower 1-4 in an ADM canteliver mount that I've used on my AR. If I put it on my 17s will the recoil impulse destroy it? I've heard that cantelivers put more stress on the scope itself...? Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I highly doubt your gonna cause any harm to your scope, people hunt every year with high power rifles and cheap scopes that take the abuse.... but then again they might only shoot a box of shells every couple years too
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I ran a TR24 on my 17S for a while, at least 1k rounds or so. Being a Trijicon I think you'll be fine. The key to optics for the 17S is to use quality brands.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:58:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Your GTG if anything gets damaged from just firing the 17S trijicon will stand by there product. They are a top notch company.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#4]
No way.  It'll be fine.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#5]
There was a thread on here or TOS where a guy broke his TR24 on his Scar.  IIRC there were pictures as proof.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 4:29:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Google is your friend ....

Read
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:09:31 AM EDT
[#7]
My personal experience is that you buy a good quality scope and then you buy the BEST mounting system of your choosing that you can afford. As rings go Seekins have worked great for me, I can't comment as to what is great as far as QD mounts go but the ADM seems to be highly recommended.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:25:22 PM EDT
[#8]
After killing 2 leupold mk4's and a vortex pst (all fixed under warranty)...ive come to the conclusion that a nightforce hardmounted (non qrp) is pretty much the only setup that lasted for me.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:29:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow I still dont get how a Scar17 can destroy a scope..
I dont have one but what's so "special" about it?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:21:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After killing 2 leupold mk4's and a vortex pst (all fixed under warranty)...ive come to the conclusion that a nightforce hardmounted (non qrp) is pretty much the only setup that lasted for me.
View Quote
damn! What caliber are we talking about here?
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:12:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Wow I still dont get how a Scar17 can destroy a scope..
I dont have one but what's so "special" about it?
View Quote
High end air guns have for years needed a scope made just for them as there was no rearward recoil from their bolt, just a forward momentum. For a long time rifle scopes were made to take the punishing recoil from large rifles that was strictly pushing backwards.....unlike the air rifle that's spring/bolt pushed forwards. That's why you never put a good rifle scope on the air guns because they'd shake them apart.

Now you have the SCAR 17S that has a VERY heavy bolt carrier. It has a normal rearward recoil like any other semi-auto rifle but the heavy mass of the carrier when returning forward and slamming a round into the chamber has a similar recoil impulse as the air rifle. This is destructive on scopes that either aren't overbuilt or that were not purposefully designed with that type of recoil in mind.

My own experiences have taught me that 1) the optic you choose must be a newer design where they took into account this type of recoil 2) the mounts you choose are every bit as important as the scope if not more so. Seems to me that some mounts will negate the "forward impulse" more than others.
I've had two Kahles Helia L scopes, two Zeiss Z-Points, one Burris Signature and one original USA Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR go bad. I've found that both my Nighforce NXS scopes and my Steiner M5xi do well on the guns as do the Trijicon Tripowers, both optic types using Seekins rings. Using the Burris XTR rings and the PEPR QD mounts was also a failure for me on the SCAR's.
Here's mine in their current setups.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 4:39:57 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm not familiar with air guns but I was aware of the issue with those.. Never knew the reason..

Anyway Thanks for the simple & clear explenation but I'm still amazed how this is a SCAR issue now  and not for other weapons before it like .50bmg rifles or AK based rifles.. Or do they need special scopes as well?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
damn! What caliber are we talking about here?
View Quote
Well maybe "kill" is a strong word...the illumination on both leupolds went out and one had a blurriness to it...the vortex elevation adjustments stopped working along with a ton of "oil" splashing around in the scopes internals which made it look like you had your eyes open under water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top